Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

How to remove my back wheel - Cannondale Adventure 1000
Hi,

I am brand new to this. I picked up my bike, used, a couple of months ago. It is a hybrid in more ways than one. It has the old fashioned three speed cable connection to the hub on the rear wheel (no three sprockets on the front crank). I had my first flat yesterday and I cannot figure out how to remove the rear wheel. Can anyone help me, please?
I will download a picture.

Thanks,

Mark
Wow, that is some Rube Goldberg contraption. No idea how it works. Looks like a gear cluster on a internally shifting rear hub again wow.

Photo of the opposite side would help. Looks like you need to disconnect the cable from the housing cut the wires and than spin the housing or what looks like a nut inside the housing to loosen.

Good photos , a full shoot showing entire set up and opposite side would help.

I suggest in the future getting a proper rear wheel with a gear cluster and reconnecting or most likely replacing the derailer and the shifters.

How many sprockets in front, what type shifters? What bike make?
Never Give Up!!!
George; George - it is SRAM Dual Drive hub.

Mark: this should help:
http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/DualDrive_Ins_E_12_02.PDF
Nigel
OOps......Great link Nigel, never seen anything like that before. Looked like a wired up mess. Talk about over complicating things.

Thanks for setting me straight. :-))

But do you know how to remove it too?
Never Give Up!!!
see page 10 of the document.
Nigel
(08-31-2011, 03:31 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  George; George - it is SRAM Dual Drive hub.

Mark: this should help:
http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/DualDrive_Ins_E_12_02.PDF

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for finding the link for me. I am away for the next few days and I will give it a try on my return.

Thanks again!

Mark
(08-31-2011, 02:28 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Wow, that is some Rube Goldberg contraption. No idea how it works. Looks like a gear cluster on a internally shifting rear hub again wow.

Photo of the opposite side would help. Looks like you need to disconnect the cable from the housing cut the wires and than spin the housing or what looks like a nut inside the housing to loosen.

Good photos , a full shoot showing entire set up and opposite side would help.

I suggest in the future getting a proper rear wheel with a gear cluster and reconnecting or most likely replacing the derailer and the shifters.

How many sprockets in front, what type shifters? What bike make?

Thank you for the suggestions. The wires were my addition to secure my "rat trap" - book holder.

All the best,

Mark
Hi George,

Last August you helped me with my Cannondale Adventure 1000 with the Scram dual drive. I have tried to access the link you sent, but it seems to have expired. Can you help me and see if you can find a new link to the information? It showed details of how the Scram dual drive worked - repair info etc.

Thanks,

Mark
404 error from SRAM... found it here:
copy this in Google: DualDrive_Ins_E_12_02.PDF
click on second link
Craig Domingue - East Texas Hick
(05-29-2012, 04:03 PM)cradom Wrote:  404 error from SRAM... found it here:
copy this in Google: DualDrive_Ins_E_12_02.PDF
click on second link

Many thanks for this!!
if you do remove the wheel, fit puncture proof tyres and tubes if not already on, also, you do not absolutely have to remove the wheel to repair a puncture, as long as you are careful!
(05-30-2012, 09:26 AM)trevgbb Wrote:  if you do remove the wheel, fit puncture proof tyres and tubes if not already on, also, you do not absolutely have to remove the wheel to repair a puncture, as long as you are careful!

Many thanks for the suggestions.

Possibly Related Threads...