Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Rear hub issue
I have a 10-year-old 105 rear hub, and one of the pawls is acting up, I cleaned it and relubed the hub pawls but it still won't engage as fast as it did, like one of the pawls isn't working.

I think it might be time to get a new hub. I would like one that engages faster but don't want to spend the money for something like the DT Swiss hub, what recommendations do any of you have for a hub? Or is there some sort of repair that could be done that I don't know about? I'm riding on Shimano components with a 10-speed rear cluster and rim brakes.

Thanks
Wag more, bark less
you can buy the pawls itself on Ali express or Amazon, just replace the spring and engagement should be back to normal

its also a good time to shop around for a new wheel set, I see DTSwiss rim brake wheel sets going for less than 300usd in my area these days since there isn't a lot of demand for cycling and rim brake road bikes these days.

Happy Shopping!
I'll have to check into the pawls. The wheelset sounds great, but again that would be more than I want to spend, fixed income and all. Thanks
Wag more, bark less
(04-13-2024, 09:42 PM)froze Wrote:  I have a 10-year-old 105 rear hub, and one of the pawls is acting up, I cleaned it and relubed the hub pawls but it still won't engage as fast as it did, like one of the pawls isn't working.

I think it might be time to get a new hub. I would like one that engages faster but don't want to spend the money for something like the DT Swiss hub, what recommendations do any of you have for a hub? Or is there some sort of repair that could be done that I don't know about? I'm riding on Shimano components with a 10-speed rear cluster and rim brakes.

Thanks

I would agree regarding the spring replacement. If you used grease try hypoid gear oil instead and see if that helps. I have manually stretched a spring before and it still works, but not a modification I would do for anyone but myself.
The hub should not need replacing unless there is a bearing problem that cannot be remedied.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Also, there's a lot of high engagement hubs out there today for really cheap.

Arc even has alloy freehub bodies to save even more weight.
(04-13-2024, 09:42 PM)froze Wrote:  I have a 10-year-old 105 rear hub, and one of the pawls is acting up, I cleaned it and relubed the hub pawls but it still won't engage as fast as it did, like one of the pawls isn't working.

Thanks

So far you're doing well! Most straightforward solution would be a new hub or exchange it with an old similar hub from another bike maybe from Novatec.

Thanks

How much is your planned budget? Depending on where you live, the cheapest, reliable budget hubs i knew as of the moment are from Novatec. Though some of their models were priced near a DT Swiss hub but they offer budget hubs as well.

As for your 105, have you tried replacing the spring of the pawl?
If you're a DIY mechanic and assuming you have already disassembled the freehub in pieces, you can try to change the spring. (the spring for Shimano hub looks like a coil that wrap around the pawls inside your freehub body)

If you can't get a substitute spring, you can try doing a DIY from the spring of a quick release skewers. I have done it few years ago on my XT hub and it worked well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-27-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Talha

12-08-2019, 08:18 AM
Last Post: CharleyFarley

02-24-2017, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Mountain