Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Colnago restoration
(10-03-2023, 01:46 AM)Colnago_zuub Wrote:  I just realized I forgot the pics of the rusted parts I was referring to (also the ones that seem to have a really thin chrome plating???). Here they are.

Not much you can do except to arrest the progress of the rust. Where it is flaked/peeled off you can really only try polishing the bare metal. There might still be some plating; I believe chrome is put on with copper plate, then nickel plate, and finally chromium (I may be wrong) so you may still have some plating even with the chrome gone. At this point re-chroming is about the only real method of making it right and if you plan on the re-paint then it makes sense to do the chrome also. Polishing around flaking/peeling chrome tends to remove more if you are not careful.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Hi everyone. I’m doing some frame cleanup and removing a few rust spots…but I’m not sure what’s what now. I saw some raised paint and there was some rust underneath. I removed the rust and now I’m not sure what the dark part is. Is it steel? Is it rust? Is that chrome coating I’m removing to expose more of the black… steel? Rust? Do I keep trying to removed the black? Ready to paint? Thanks.

Attached Files Image(s)

Okay, so it is rust I presume, and I managed to clear most of it. However, one spot I worked on got larger after it was relatively small, so now I’m going into the inside of the frame I presume. I’m not sure if this spot is large enough to worry about the frame overall….

I will treat the inside of the frame Fluid Film to prevent further rust.

Attached Files Image(s)

It looks as if it is micro pitted from the inside out and visa versa, hard to tell from the pictures, above and beyond that you need to feather the layers of paint and primer as well as the steel grind marks, the piece of tape surrounding your work spots has to go and you have to work the layers out further and feather the transition between them or after paint you will see those ovals a mile away. you can only build up with primer so much. but prime block and prime again, repeat if you see any odd refraction when light hits the primer while it is still wet. Once that is done you are good for top coat, you may want to wet sand the topcoat after it dries with 600grit or so and topcoat again, let it flash and hit with a couple coats of clear, then finish wet sand with 800 to 1000 grit and add 3 to 5 coats of clear to finish, apply decals before this if applicable, if so hit one coat of clear and let flash before proceeding to lesson the chance of wrinkle in the decals, for color and clear try to use a slow thinner, this will produce better flow and gloss. let cure and you may still need to hand rub depending on the final result you are looking for.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thanks for the tip!

Update: it was rusted through so I decided to just clean the whole area by removing the rusted piece. Looks like a little welding is up next after a little more cleanup and adding Fluid Film inside the frame to stop further rust.

Attached Files Image(s)

yup, thats what I suspected
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(10-18-2023, 01:41 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  yup, thats what I suspected

+1
Take care,
Jesper

Quick update. I was able to do some welding to fix the rusted area I cut out. Now some prep work for primer and paint. Onwards!

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow! You're really going to town on this. Can't wait to see the finished bike.
Wish I had more time, but slow and steady is all I can do! I put down some Zinc primer, 2 coats of paint, and 3 coats of primer. I’m pretty satisfied considering it’s my first time. Last step is to sand the clear coat and then use some polishing compound and a coat of wax. Notice I had to go up the down tube and along the chain stay to blend in properly.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi all. Here are a few update photos. Almost finished!…I know, I’m slow. I just have to hook up the shifter cables, and it’s ready to ride!

Attached Files Image(s)

Finished! Took her out for the first ride, and everything worked beautifully. The Colnago C96 project was an amazing experience, and I learned so much about bike components by going through the restoration. Thanks to everyone in this forum as well for the tips and suggestions! I’ll be riding this bike for a while before I get the itch to do this again.

Attached Files Image(s)

I am glad to see someone go "all in" as they say. Glad you got the the chance and the gusto to do so. Now work on your picture posts so I do not snap my neck out of place..Lol. and while I have your attention, The type of clamp you have in your folding work stand Is totally ideal for those tires that are extremely tough to seat the bead on as you can pinch and clamp tire and torque it up and down with most precision.
(01-07-2024, 04:14 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  I am glad to see someone go "all in" as they say. Glad you got the the chance and the gusto to do so. Now work on your picture posts so I do not snap my neck out of place..Lol. and while I have your attention, The type of clamp you have in your folding work stand Is totally ideal for those tires that are extremely tough to seat the bead on as you can pinch and clamp tire and torque it up and down with most precision.

lol, sorry about the pics! I guess the portrait pics automatically get flipped to landscape when you upload them on the phone. I’ll be sure to just upload landscape next time.

That stand has been amazing. Best “tool” I purchased.
@Colnago_zuub
Before you delve into this message, I want say again what a good job you did, and +1 to @Painkiller 's comments.
I know I welcomed you to the Colnago owners' group as a generality, and also told you (I think?) of the "Colnago Owners Group" on F-book. I had never gone to their site before as there was no need to but I figured if I informed someone else about it then I should at least check it out.

I went there and found that it is a private group and no posts are accessible unless you are a member. You can request to join, and your request is then pending until reviewed by the group's administrators. There is nothing on their group page except basic guidelines for use if you are a member and F-book links for its administrators. Sooo, being a Colnago owner, rider, racer, tourer, builder, etc. for nearly 40 years I decided to request entry. Nothing else was displayed upon my making my request except a message that it was pending review. Days go by, and, long story not so short, I was denied entry to the group (and I went on drinking binge, threw all my Colnagos off a cliff, vowed never to drink Italian wine again, and repudiated my 50% Italian lineage); but that denial notification was not from my initial request which is still pending! Between the time of my initial request and before receiving notification of their denial while still waiting for approval to what I am now labelling "The Colnago Cabal", I left their page and when rechecking the site noticed on the browser links two entries for the same site. The one I went initially showed over 5.6K of followers and the other had over 24K of followers yet both linked to the same site. When I scrutinized the "new" page I saw that it again showed a field to request group access; while on the initial page I went to it still showed my request as pending so I decided to submit a new request on the "new" page thinking that there might be some glitch, and it was the reason why my initial request was still pending. When I submitted my new request on the "new" page it immediately had a pop-up which asked a question as to why you wanted to be in their "group" (cabal). There was limited space and I put in the general facts that I previously wrote here (owner, rider, etc.) which upon entering gave me the same "pending awaiting approval" statement. It was that request that got denied (in very short order; maybe 30 mins or less), with my the initial request still pending on their "alternate" page.

Here is the message I received which informed me of my denial with my remarks in ( ).
"Member request declined
Your request to join Colnago Owners Group was automatically declined based on criteria admins added to this group. (No criteria was stated except that implied by their cabal name)
Membership questions
Person has not answered all membership questions. (There was only ONE question!)
Admin Feedback
Please answer questions fully to be considered for the group." (Again, there was only ONE question, and limited space to answer or elaborate!)
At the bottom of that message, as if to add insult to injury, was a button labelled: "Visit group". Of course, I cannot visit the bloody cabal since I have been denied knowledge of their secret handshake.

All the while my initial request is pending; probably for eternity!

In an effort to provide their cabal feedback I sent a message to one of their administrators/moderators since you could not even message the cabal directly from their site. Here is the text:
"Hello Andrew, I submitted a request to join your "COG" on the main page and received notice that the request was pending a couple days ago which was still pending when I had last checked. For some reason I went back to the browser page and saw another "COG" on FB entry so I accessed that page and saw that it was the same group and there was a field to request joining the group which I did. Upon selecting a pop-up occurred asking a question as to why I wanted to join which I answered in kind, and was then shown that the request was pending. There was no question asked when I initially entered my request on the "alternate" FB page (that request is still pending!). I received notification that my request was denied from the submission on the page where I answered the question. The statement given was: "Member request declined
Your request to join Colnago Owners Group was automatically declined based on criteria admins added to this group. Membership questions Person has not answered all membership questions. Admin Feedback Please answer questions fully to be considered for the group". Since there was only one question, and I answered as much as I could given the limited character space; I am wondering why I saw no other questions (per your site's denial message), nor any criteria for which to base my decision to request group entry. If owning a Colnago is only one of (I assume) the criteria to be met, then what are the others since I have owned and ridden Colnagos for almost 40 years, and on one of them 30 years alone which is probably longer than some of your members have existed on this planet. I am not concerned about whether or not I am acceptable to your group nor reasons for denial; but your site should be open, giving due courtesy to those interested in joining, as to what your criteria are and save others like myself from having to waste time dealing with an obfuscated "selection process" when I should have been able to read what your requirements are, and thus not have requested joining in the first place since I would have readily been able to determine that I did not qualify for entry to the group in the first place. The only obvious criteria is displayed by the group's name: "Colnago OWNERS Group". I thought it was a group for like minded individuals who not only owned; but also rode Colnagos in various venues and locations. I have raced, toured, commuted, etc. on multiple Colnago bikes so I am indeed perplexed. I also recommend that the "alternate" (old?) link be removed since it obviously does not function the same as your other page link does (as previously noted). Thank you for your time and consideration. Respectfully, Jesper"

"zuub", not saying you should not try your luck as a proud owner of a Colnago (and you will probably be accepted); but I will spend no more time on what I now consider to be a joke group. If you do decide to request cabal access, I would be curious to know what question(s) you needed to answer, what you wrote, and if were accepted into their cabal. At this point, the only reason I would like to access that site is to see if they ripped any of my photos to post there since one administrator had, on his personal F-book page, an entry chastising another bike group for using their site photos presumably found only on their private members only site. I highly doubt that all their photos are directly member sourced only, and that no one on the site HAS EVER posted a photo from an outside source without photo credit (which was for some reason NOT addressed in their group guidelines list).

I am, without a doubt, a rogue loner cyclist; but I did not think that I was so far out that I could not be accepted by a little (<25K; considering the millions of Colnago owners there are) owners' site like that. Label me now as educated and informed.
Take care,
Jesper

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Bill