Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the May Giveaway for a Change to Win the Thruster 27.5 Retrograde BMX Cruiser Bike

Oakley lens peeling
Hi guys. I have this Oakley Jawbreaker i bought 2 years ago. It was used, well cleaned and always in its pouch whenever not in use. Few days ago, it started to peel i was wondering if there is something i can do to it not to peel anymore or should I buy a new set of lenses?

I just want to get your opinions. Appreciate your response.
Replace lens, stopping further damage is not really plausible that I know of. Not sure what their warranty covers (time wise), but you might still be covered. Theft/loss, or other damage are the main reasons I do not buy the more expensive shades since they are not more durable than most much lower priced options.
Best advice is to rinse them off after use since sweat (acid pH) can be deleterious to the finish.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(05-05-2024, 01:47 PM)Jesper Wrote:  Replace lens, stopping further damage is not really plausible that I know of. Not sure what their warranty covers (time wise), but you might still be covered. Theft/loss, or other damage are the main reasons I do not buy the more expensive shades since they are not more durable than most much lower priced options.
Best advice is to rinse them off after use since sweat (acid pH) can be deleterious to the finish.

Thanks for the response. I am thinking to check for an aftermarket lens that would fit my jawbreaker. I am also thinking of getting another one that is not an oakley. Would you have a brand in mind?
@Nutribun I wish I could recommend something specific, but I just pick lower cost glasses that are comfortable. I ride with a TT helmet that has a good lens shield so no glasses used. I tend to destroy (or lose) glasses so it is never my worth spending the money for something when I can buy 4 or 5 pairs of a comparable product for the price of one pair of higher cost shades.
Not sure what the replacement lens would cost, or if there are others available to fit that model.
Take care,
Jesper

(05-06-2024, 01:30 PM)Jesper Wrote:  @Nutribun I wish I could recommend something specific, but I just pick lower cost glasses that are comfortable. I ride with a TT helmet that has a good lens shield so no glasses used. I tend to destroy (or lose) glasses so it is never my worth spending the money for something when I can buy 4 or 5 pairs of a comparable product for the price of one pair of higher cost shades.
Not sure what the replacement lens would cost, or if there are others available to fit that model.

Thanks for the advice Jesper. Will update if I found a replacement lens or change the entire sunglass for a cheaper one.
Nutribun and Jesper, great discussion. I will be honest when I say I don't get the purpose of riding glasses, especially the expensive ones.

I rarely wear any. In the past, I would use something that were completely white but wore because they fit my face and helmet well. Rarely have I had issues with bugs or dust, even when rodé in dusty mountainous trails or now on Indian roads.

During winter, i would just wear the cheap skiing glasses I had.

My dad, who's a doctor keeps pressuring me to get a pair of riding glasses..but I am not convinced of their utility..

(05-08-2024, 08:13 AM)Nutribun Wrote:  
(05-06-2024, 01:30 PM)Jesper Wrote:  @Nutribun I wish I could recommend something specific, but I just pick lower cost glasses that are comfortable. I ride with a TT helmet that has a good lens shield so no glasses used. I tend to destroy (or lose) glasses so it is never my worth spending the money for something when I can buy 4 or 5 pairs of a comparable product for the price of one pair of higher cost shades.

Thanks for the advice Jesper. Will update if I found a replacement lens or change the entire sunglass for a cheaper one.
@GirishH I only use glasses for road glare and while on roads with higher speed traffic to avoid the grit in my eyes; especially with trucks. Considering what I wipe off of my face is also getting in my eyes it becomes a no brainer. If I ride sans glasses my eyes are quite red and sometimes irritated so I at least carry a pair if conditions require it.
Take care,
Jesper

Thanks, Jesper for that clarification. My dad too points out that I need them for grit, dust and/or insects but fortunately I have been able to keep them off my eyes. But, glad to see that you usually keep them and use only if conditions warrant.

When I had the "white riding" glasses, they mostly stayed in my bag and eventually I stopped carrying them..:-)
(05-08-2024, 02:39 PM)Jesper Wrote:  @GirishH I only use glasses for road glare and while on roads with higher speed traffic to avoid the grit in my eyes; especially with trucks. Considering what I wipe off of my face is also getting in my eyes it becomes a no brainer. If I ride sans glasses my eyes are quite red and sometimes irritated so I at least carry a pair if conditions require it.
(05-08-2024, 09:43 AM)GirishH Wrote:  My dad, who's a doctor keeps pressuring me to get a pair of riding glasses..but I am not convinced of their utility..

Always listen to your Dad (well at least most of the time)!
I have worn tint changing glasses before for night driving (never for cycling at night which I did without any lights or reflectors, nor any safety equipment, helmet, gloves, etc.) when I did long distance touring as a 20 yr old. Now with today's increased traffic I could not do the same thing. Everything is good in rural areas, but when travelling on new trails and/or roads both vehicular and cycling traffic (mostly e-bike commuters) are causing problems for my night vision. I had recently taken part in an urban "alley cat" criterium at night and was blinded by 2 side-by-side riders (participants in the race) which looked like a car due to proximity of the lighting and the intensity. A weird situation where I was riding against the oncoming cyclists since I was already ahead of the main pack and heading back "against" the other racers. It caused me to slow down and even take evasive action (almost off the pavement) since I thought I was heading towards an oncoming car. If wearing glare cutting glasses I would have easily recognized the truth of the matter and I would have been able to maintain my pace. Glasses are important under many conditions and can help a lot depending on your riding habits. With some cyclists using non-traditional lighting or high intensity lighting methods it has become more important to have proper eyewear. There is a member here who has installed home LED lighting to his bike, but does not realize that he is blinding oncoming motorists and cyclists alike with improper lighting for general road use, and actually potentially endangering himself and others by using that illumination method. My glasses that get darker are great, but they cannot adapt quickly to sudden bright lighting from these high intensity LEDs. It is just another reason I carry glasses since lighting for both automotive and cyclists (be it designed for that purpose or not) is extremely bright causing danger to those trying to navigate potentially dangerous situations regarding cycling lights. I can barely drive at night now so imagine cycling while losing night vision and/or dealing with conditions which might inhibit your safety due to the ever imcreasing intensity of some lighting systems. I ride at night (no moonlight) without lights on until I see oncoming vehicular traffic due to my light sensitive vision and averting my eyes to direct exposure to oncoming lights.
Take care,
Jesper

Problem with me is whenever i ride without sunglasses (especially when i am still on the road past noon), I am having severe headaches afterwards. At first, I thought that it must be because of hydration but even I am fully hydrated, I still get those headaches. I had myself checked for any issues and i was cleared. So the last thing i did was to buy a sunglass, luckily my wife saw this jawbreaker on sale that time so she bought it for me as a gift.

And yes, problem solved. Smile