Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the May Giveaway for a Change to Win the Thruster 27.5 Retrograde BMX Cruiser Bike

Vilano Commuter
I picked up this bike recently for $75 bucks. I thought it was just a generic big box bike, because it had no brandings anywhere, but Google Lens reveled that it's actually a Vilano Commuter. So strange for a company like Vilano to not have their name plastered everywhere on the bike. What do you think? I think it might have been an intuitive security measure. Like to deter theft that could be attracted by the presence of a brand name on the bike.

The frame here is 50cm. A bit small for me, but like the pros would do, I think I could just throw an extra long stem on it and have a ball. What stem do you think would be necessary for a 5'8" person? It came with a 100mm one that was obviously too short for me. I was thinking 120mm might do it. The frame is pretty light. The factory wheels were a whopping 36 spokes. Tremendous—but I'm going to rebuild the rims as a spare. I already have a cockpit and everything I can just swap onto it. Going to ride the factory chro-mo fork until I can find a better replacement. It's like 2lbs—which is not bad—but hehehe that 1lb tho.

Anyone know the weight limit on 24 hole wheels? I was going to build a set for this bike. I weighed in today at 241lbs. I'm not sure 24 hole wheels could handle what I'd lay down on them.

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-10-2023, 05:33 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  I picked up this bike recently for $75 bucks. I thought it was just a generic big box bike, because it had no brandings anywhere, but Google Lens reveled that it's actually a Vilano Commuter. So strange for a company like Vilano to not have their name plastered everywhere on the bike. What do you think? I think it might have been an intuitive security measure. Like to deter theft that could be attracted by the presence of a brand name on the bike.

The frame here is 50cm. A bit small for me, but like the pros would do, I think I could just throw an extra long stem on it and have a ball. What stem do you think would be necessary for a 5'8" person? It came with a 100mm one that was obviously too short for me. I was thinking 120mm might do it. The frame is pretty light. The factory wheels were a whopping 36 spokes. Tremendous—but I'm going to rebuild the rims as a spare. I already have a cockpit and everything I can just swap onto it. Going to ride the factory chro-mo fork until I can find a better replacement. It's like 2lbs—which is not bad—but hehehe that 1lb tho.

Anyone know the weight limit on 24 hole wheels? I was going to build a set for this bike. I weighed in today at 241lbs. I'm not sure 24 hole wheels could handle what I'd lay down on them.

We received a couple of short answers from our members via Facebook.

Ben: "I'm afraid to say it is a cheap bike ,the name is just added by the company onto a generic frame and parts.soon as I saw the shifters near the stem it's a giveaway as they are only fitted to the most basic bikes.lock it up well with a decent chain or d lock."

Ben (2): "$75 is about right. unfortunatly, a good lock will cost as much as the bike. ride it for all you can. tilt that seat up to level and have fun."
As a general guideline, a stem length of 120mm may be suitable for a person of your height (5'8").
Regarding the weight limit on 24-hole wheels. Weight limits can vary depending on the specific rim, hub, and spoke configuration. 24-hole wheels are designed to be lightweight and suitable for riders with lower body weights. That being said, I do know someone weighing 200 lbs and riding on 24. But as you would expect nothing too thrilling or intense. Normal commute.

Do you think, you could maybe upgrade to a 32 spoke? or a stronger hub, considering its a cheap bike.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-06-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Jesper