Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the May Giveaway for a Change to Win the Thruster 27.5 Retrograde BMX Cruiser Bike

Getting back into riding, bike instead of a car!`
I've posted a few times but never introduced myself, and I find myself giving my back story in other posts. So that I can stop doing that, I'm going to give it here!
I'm a 72 yr old female who has always been athletic, working on farms, as a carpenter, horsewoman and bike commuter and traveler. I'm small, 4' 11" now, shrunk from 5' 1 3/4" . Short legs/long torso, I have always bought the smallest frame made and added extended stems. It wasn't a problem before but, now that I'm looking at ebikes, manufacturers' height ranges don't apply.

The new difficulty is the damage I've inflicted on my own small frame with physical labor all my life. Injuries, surgeries, and inherited osteoarthritis have left me with one wrist, my right, past repairable, without cartilage, space between wrist bones and bones in the wrist collapsed. Yeah, it really hurts but I suck it up. I wouldn't even be looking for an ebike except for no longer having a car or motorcycle and not being able to afford one. So, when I talk about handlebars, shifters, and brake levers and what I know I need, trust me, I know.

I live in New York state, in the foothills of the Alleghenies up in the hills; my house is at about 1100 ft, and the road frontage of my property rises to about 1600ft (and the road keeps climbing). I'm on a good paved road but, if I want to travel North to where my friends are, or my co-op, the descent is even steeper on a washboard dirt road. The closest stores are in the Valley, 13 miles to basic groceries but over 20 miles the other way to a real town with better stores and my CSA pickup location

I have been searching for almost a year now for an ebike that can be my only vehicle.

If you are interested in what I've seen and learned so far about ebikes, look for my posts in the General Forum. And tell me what you are riding.
Hello burrobabe, welcome to the group and thanks for that wonderful introducción. Unfortunately, my experience with e-bikes is very limited but still wanted to commend on your "non-traditional", hardworking life.

I am currently in the Himalayas and before that I was fortunate to spend sometime in the mountains of South américa. The physical hardwork folks do blew my mind and made a powerful impact on someone who grew-up in the cities.

A friend who lives in Seattle had an e-bike by Trek. Seattle terrain is pretty hilly and he loved what this bike offered. I will reach out to him and update you..

So wishing you the very best as you search for a e-bike that suites your unique needs.

Btw, I ride a Framed Minnesota fatbike.
(05-10-2024, 09:54 PM)GirishH Wrote:  Hello burrobabe, welcome to the group and thanks for that wonderful introducción. Unfortunately, my experience with e-bikes is very limited but still wanted to commend on your "non-traditional", hardworking life.

I am currently in the Himalayas and before that I was fortunate to spend sometime in the mountains of South américa. The physical hardwork folks do blew my mind and made a powerful impact on someone who grew-up in the cities.

A friend who lives in Seattle had an e-bike by Trek. Seattle terrain is pretty hilly and he loved what this bike offered. I will reach out to him and update you..

So wishing you the very best as you search for a e-bike that suites your unique needs.

Btw, I ride a Framed Minnesota fatbike.

Hi GirishH, thank you so much for your nice welcome message. It is great to connect with others who have differing backgrounds. You sound like someone I would love to go biking with and discuss far away places and experiences with. I too have done a great deal of traveling, most of it across the US and Canada, a country I truly fell in love with. I believe that it is the people one meet while traveling that creates a love of place. For a number of years I studied with a guru from South India, Kerala, in New York City. If you are ever back in the Northeast us, perhaps we could get together and do some riding in the Beautiful Finger Lakes area of New York, one of the most beautiful places on Earth IMHO.

One question, what does framed mean in a bike?

And please do let me know what bike your friend in Seattle rides. I have visited there in my travels and you are right, it's pretty hilly.-☺
I think "Framed" was the brand name of his bike.
Hello Nutribun and Burrobabe,

Yes, Framed is the name of my cycle brand.

I have reached out to my friend in Seattle and another friend regarding their e-bikes. I will update you when I hear back.

But it's true that people make a place memorable or compel us to fall in love with the land, even when it's torturously challenging.

Sadly, I haven't cycled in Canada but would LOVE to experience the landscape and Canadians' friendliness. Similarly, I haven't cycled in the Finger Lakes area, but driving through it was such a pleasure. So, I would love to experience the exhilaration of riding through the rolling hills of that beautiful part of NY.

And it's interesting that you studied with a guru from Kerala. It was my neighboring state, and sadly, I experienced its hospitality only a few months ago. Again, fell in love with it's people and landscape.

So, it would be an honor to go riding with You.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice picture! You are really loaded there. The landscape in the background looks lush and inviting. Is that taken in India? Heart
Thank you for your kind words. Yes, it would be a pleasure to ride in this area with a good companion.
I wish there was a way to do reactions to posts with emoticons.
@Burrobabe thanks for your intro. I grew up in the hills of New England and rode them throughout my childhood and early adulthood. I still cycle up there, but living in Florida has not been good to me regarding keeping fit enough to tackle the hills and mountains like I once did. When in the area I plan short but very hilly routes around my home which is at about 1000 ft elevation. My ride to the center of my town is 3.5 miles and is +500 ft of climbing which would not be too bad, but climbs are not gradual slopes; whereas my 49 mile commute in FL only has about 100 ft of climbing over the entire distance.
Not sure if I recommended this in my earlier conversation with you, but aside from taking test rides on bikes at shops, you might try renting for, a day or weekend, an ebike which would give a better idea as to overall performance, comfort, and how your terrain affects your battery range.10 miles of hills is a lot different than 10 miles of flat road when gauging battery range. I think designers should incorporate a small trickle charge generator option for ebikes which can be engaged when coasting down hill or under 100% pedal power (also a small solar panel might be an option for daytime riders) which will extend range or even allow one to park the bike on a stand and pedal some charge into the battery.

@GirishH always love your photos. I guess I need to start getting back into photography since I did it professionally before the advent of digital imagery. I have no digital camera, and I do not count phone cameras and although they are improving, they are not a substitute for even an entry level professional digital camera. I generally do not carry any electronic device with me when riding as I am out enjoying my ride and not concerned with anything but the wind blowing through what hair I have left.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Hello Burrobabe, that bike carried and supported me for 9 months in South America. Hence, I was fully loaded. Btw, that picture is from a small hamlet in Southern Ecuador. The nature, mountains stole my heart and i couldn't continue into Peru which was a mere day's ride away..

Below is a link to my South American ride.

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/mistergordo/

Sadly, my bicycle has seen less action in India.

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/mistergordoindia/

Hoping to bikepack along the South-eastern Indian states to Himalayas this August-Oct..

(05-13-2024, 03:39 PM)Burrobabe Wrote:  Nice picture! You are really loaded there. The landscape in the background looks lush and inviting. Is that taken in India? Heart
Thank you for your kind words. Yes, it would be a pleasure to ride in this area with a good companion.
I wish there was a way to do reactions to posts with emoticons.

Hello Jesper, your comment about letting the air through hair made me chuckle..I am in a similar boat/on a bicycle with my head starting to shine more and more..:-)

Btw, i avoid electronics as much as possible still travel the old school if in a new territory. Asking "strangers" for ditections/help. Many a times those have been the best routes compared to what GoogleMap might have sent me on.

So, most of my blog photos are from my phone taken primarily tell my folks why I do what I do..:-)

One of my riding buddies in South américa carried a SLR and a drone but i was happy with my phone. Probably, would have been happier without it but had to keep the family posted..:-)

Btw, the following picture is of an Ecuadorian tribesman who wanted to exchange my bike for his horse..:-)

(05-14-2024, 01:59 PM)Jesper Wrote:  @Burrobabe thanks for your intro. I grew up in the hills of New England and rode them throughout my childhood and early adulthood. I still cycle up there, but living in Florida has not been good to me regarding keeping fit enough to tackle the hils and mountains like I once did. When in the area I plan short but very hilly routes around my home which is at about 1000 ft elevation. My ride to the center of my town is 3.5 miles and is +500 ft of climbing which would not be too bad, but climbs are not gradual slopes; whereas my 49 mile commute in FL only has about 100 ft of climbing over the entire distance.
Not sure if I recommended this in my earlier conversation with you, but aside from takung test rides on bikes at shops, you might try renting for, a day or weekend, an ebike which would give a better idea as to overall performance, comfort, and how your terrain affects your battery range.10 miles of hills is a lot different than 10 miles of flat road when gauging battery range. I think designers should incorporate a small trickle charge generator option for ebikes which can be engaged when coasting down hill or under 100% pedal power (also a small solar panel might be an option for daytime riders) which eill extend range or even allow one to park the bike on a stand and pedal some charge into the battery.

@GirishH always love your photos. I guess I need to start getting back into photography since I did it professionally before the advent of digital imagery. I have no digital camera, and I do not count phone cameras and although they are improving, they are not a substitute for even an entry level professional digital camera. I generally do not carry any electronic device with me when riding as I am out enjoying my ride and not concerned with anything but the wind blowing through what hair I have left.

Attached Files Image(s)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-30-2013, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Joe_W