Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Replacing old rear derailleur
I bought a very old Mongoose mtn bike from Goodwill for commuting to/from the metro station, and would like to replace its very old Suntour 3000 alpha rear derailleur.  Is there a model of derailleur I'm likely to find that will allow me to keep the index shifting?  Or should I give up and buy any old other derailleur for continuous shifting?
Thanks!
(05-12-2015, 11:36 PM)eab Wrote:  I bought a very old Mongoose mtn bike from Goodwill for commuting to/from the metro station, and would like to replace its very old Suntour 3000 alpha rear derailleur.  Is there a model of derailleur I'm likely to find that will allow me to keep the index shifting?  Or should I give up and buy any old other derailleur for continuous shifting?
Thanks!

Hi eab.
I cannot help you, as it's over my head, other then to suggest you phone a bike shop or message Shimano through their web site.
"Where ever we go, there we are"
To have indexing, you are MOST likely going to have to replace the freewheel, RD and the shifter.  If 8 speed or less, a new freewheel, a Shimano TX35 (with or without hanger depending on what your bike needs) and SRAM MRX shifters will get you going.  Sunrace offers similar shifters, that I like better than the SRAM, a bit harder to find.
Nigel
(05-13-2015, 08:09 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  To have indexing, you are MOST likely going to have to replace the freewheel, RD and the shifter.  If 8 speed or less, a new freewheel, a Shimano TX35 (with or without hanger depending on what your bike needs) and SRAM MRX shifters will get you going.  Sunrace offers similar shifters, that I like better than the SRAM, a bit harder to find.

He says he wants to "keep" the index shifting, so maybe it is currently indexed? If so, I think a standard Shimano or Shimano compatible RD will probably work with old Suntour indexed stuff. But maybe someone know for sure.

To the OP, is it 6-speed indexed?

Possibly Related Threads...