Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

GT Antiquity?
Oh man! Back in 1996, I SO wanted one of these! It was one of my ... you know... fantasy thingys. Smile
Two weeks ago - a fellow named Robert (good name!) walked into the bike shop and asked if I wanted an old bike before he hauled it to the recycling center 1/2 mile up the road. I said "sure", thinking it may have salvageable parts. What did Robert have in the back of his truck???

A 1996 GT Avalanche, 16" frame (just my size!). This baby was completely stock other than the Profile bar-ends and some really really toasted street tires in 1.75". The Deore LX shifters still worked!
[Image: th_P1060460_zps882bab9b.jpg]

Grips were kinda rotted...
[Image: th_P1060461_zps65f6cb03.jpg]

This weekend, she got both hubs and her headset overhauled and I put some new Salsa 'Juegos de Fuegos' grips on her bar. Yellow, of course. It matches her decals! You know that I know what the ladies like. Wink

New shoes, too! A Bontrager XR-4 in 2.35 up front and a Bontrager XR-3 out back in 2.2". Here is a pic for you!
[Image: th_P1060463_zps2fdc070d.jpg]

We have a date for next Saturday evening! No suspension, baby! Just a good, hard... uhhh... ride. Yeah. Like it used to be. That's right. Work the bike!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
sweet Smile
Nigel
I forgot to mention new chain and cassette. I'm just SO excited! Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Nice score ! even colored kinda like a sardine. Smile
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Cool Bike, I keep on hoping for a nice Vintage Road bike to drop into my lap. Oh say last ran of USA Schwinn SS or Super le tour with the Columbus Tenex tubing frame, or a nice Panasonic America. My 85 Fuji del Rey cro mo quadbutted framed bike really made me a believer in steel bikes. It just wants to goooo..........
Never Give Up!!!