Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the September Giveaway to Win the Luckeep X1 Pro ebike

1 New Knobbly Tire... Front or Back?
Okay, so you've got one new knobbly tyre and have a worn-out one on your bike.

You mountain bike mainly cross country single flow tracks.

Thinking of how the bike would react and your safety.

Would you put the new tyre on the front or back of your bike?
(09-26-2024, 02:29 AM)Flowrider Wrote:  Okay, so you've got one new knobbly tyre and have a worn-out one on your bike.

Put it on the front, But I would never have to do that, I would buy a tire.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(09-26-2024, 08:10 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  
(09-26-2024, 02:29 AM)Flowrider Wrote:  Okay, so you've got one new knobbly tyre and have a worn-out one on your bike.

Thanks for replying. From a technical perspective, why would you put it on the front and not the back?
(09-26-2024, 07:32 PM)Flowrider Wrote:  

Thanks for replying. From a technical perspective, why would you put it on the front and not the back?
If I had to go that route, I choose the front to be more stable to avoid face planting at the cost of rear traction which if I had to sacrifice that would be my choice feeling that I could control the better in this instance.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I was in a similar situation because I couldn't find 2 new fat tires. The shop guy/mechanic recommend exactly what Jesper suggested. He said the front wheel is the "guiding" wheel while the rear is the "follower". So, he said the front has to be the newer and more stable one. So, I ride my bike with a knobbly front and a heavily used/almost worn-out rear. I can measures the knobs and report back..:-)
(09-28-2024, 04:47 AM)GirishH Wrote:  I was in a similar situation because I couldn't find 2 new fat tires. The shop guy/mechanic recommend exactly what Jesper suggested. He said the front wheel is the "guiding" wheel while the rear is the "follower". So, he said the front has to be the newer and more stable one. So, I ride my bike with a knobbly front and a heavily used/almost worn-out rear. I can measures the knobs and report back..:-)

Actually, that is what Painkiller suggested, but I agree. It pretty much holds true for front tires on all vehicles. The only disadvantage might be experienced when trying to do some climbing and not being able to get any traction with a smoother rear tire. That is something I experience regularly when road biking off-road. In low gear my rear tire often just kicks up dirt and I end up "burning rubber" without any gain.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

You get most of the traction in the front that's why you usually get knobbier tires in front for most disciplines of mountain biking, but tbh I'd probably get two new tires rather than just one too.
(09-26-2024, 08:55 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  

If I had to go that route, I choose the front to be more stable to avoid face planting at the cost of rear traction which if I had to sacrifice that would be my choice feeling that I could control the better in this instance.
Yea, that makes sense. Easier to control the rear sliding out than the front. Thanks for that Smile
Oops, Painkiller my bad. Jesper, thanks for the correction.

(09-29-2024, 04:30 AM)Jesper Wrote:  
(09-28-2024, 04:47 AM)GirishH Wrote:  I was in a similar situation because I couldn't find 2 new fat tires. The shop guy/mechanic recommend exactly what Jesper suggested. He said the front wheel is the "guiding" wheel while the rear is the "follower". So, he said the front has to be the newer and more stable one. So, I ride my bike with a knobbly front and a heavily used/almost worn-out rear. I can measures the knobs and report back..:-)

Actually, that is what Painkiller suggested, but I agree. It pretty much holds true for front tires on all vehicles. The only disadvantage might be experienced when trying to do some climbing and not being able to get any traction with a smoother rear tire. That is something I experience regularly when road biking off-road. In low gear my rear tire often just kicks up dirt and I end up "burning rubber" without any gain.
(09-30-2024, 10:49 AM)GirishH Wrote:  Oops, Painkiller my bad. Jesper, thanks for the correction.

(09-29-2024, 04:30 AM)Jesper Wrote:  

no problem buddy, the only time Jesper uses a one liner is in his stand up routine..lol
(09-30-2024, 01:49 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  no problem buddy, the only time Jesper uses a one liner is in his stand up routine..lol

Yeah, you won't find me on twitter. Family & friends sit down to read my texts. One line!
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(09-30-2024, 10:09 PM)Jesper Wrote:  
(09-30-2024, 01:49 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  no problem buddy, the only time Jesper uses a one liner is in his stand up routine..lol

Yeah, you won't find me on twitter. Family & friends sit down to read my texts. One line!
don't ever change baby, I love it!
Safety first, so I'd say front.
Haha, i love this banter and would love to see Jesper's standups..:-)
Yup, majority vote is for Front tire first. Makes sense, especially for control.

Thanks for input everyone!

Possibly Related Threads...