Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the May Giveaway for a Change to Win the Thruster 27.5 Retrograde BMX Cruiser Bike

Forgot to introduce myself!
Hello everyone!

I'm new on the forum as I've just joined a few weeks ago, but I love the community and the discussions so far.

Though I realize I still haven't introduced myself.

In short, I've been cycling actively for well over a decade, both for travel and for fitness and recreation.

I got hooked on cycling back in 2016 when I did my first bike tour and cemented it with my longest 7,000 km bike tour through Europe in 2017.

Since then, I've been doing a mixture of road and gravel riding, as well as bikepacking on my Cube Nuroad gravel bike.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Also, here's a photo of my bikepacking setup from my recent trip:

Attached Files Image(s)

That's a great set-up! How do you like the aero bars for gravel? I've been considering getting a set but I was also looking at the kitchen sink bars because they have so many hand positions. Do you feel stretched out? Or are they comfortable?
Thanks, Amanda!

I love the aero bars, especially on long straight stretches where there isn't much to see and I easily get bored.

They are also a lifesaver when there's headwind or when your palms start to go numb, and you want a bit of a change in the position.

I don't really feel stretched out, but I don't spend too much time in that position, a few miles at most at a time. But I guess it all depends on how your bike fits and how flexible you are.

To me they seem more comfortable than kitchen sink bars (even though you get fewer positions) because the pressure is distributed across your lower arm.
Welcome aboard, Dusan!
Thanks for sharing! Nice ride you have and great photo!
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Lovely setup, Dusan and welcome to the forum.

Do you have a list of things you pack when you bikepack? Or even a link to your cycling blog? For example, do you carry a tent or usually find shelters/hotels to crash?

I am preparing for my next long bikepacking trip here in India. Planning to start in late July/August to head towards the Northeast of India from South India on my fat bike. I usually have my tent on my handlebar but I see that your setup looks a lot more lighter..:-) So, was asking for tips.

The link below lists what I packed during my last long bikepacking trip. This time again, it might be similar but wanted to pick some pearls of wisdom from you..:-)

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/mistergordo/what-am-i-riding-and-have-packed/

(05-29-2024, 06:05 AM)Dusan Wrote:  Hello everyone!

I'm new on the forum as I've just joined a few weeks ago, but I love the community and the discussions so far.

In short, I've been cycling actively for well over a decade, both for travel and for fitness and recreation.

I got hooked on cycling back in 2016 when I did my first bike tour and cemented it with my longest 7,000 km bike tour through Europe in 2017.

Since then, I've been doing a mixture of road and gravel riding, as well as bikepacking on my Cube Nuroad gravel bike.

(06-01-2024, 05:51 AM)enkei Wrote:  Welcome aboard, Dusan!

Thanks, Enkei!

(06-03-2024, 01:07 AM)Jesper Wrote:  Thanks for sharing! Nice ride you have and great photo!

Thank you very much, Jesper!

(06-06-2024, 01:11 PM)GirishH Wrote:  Lovely setup, Dusan and welcome to the forum.

Do you have a list of things you pack when you bikepack? Or even a link to your cycling blog? For example, do you carry a tent or usually find shelters/hotels to crash?

I am preparing for my next long bikepacking trip here in India. Planning to start in late July/August to head towards the Northeast of India from South India on my fat bike. I usually have my tent on my handlebar but I see that your setup looks a lot more lighter..:-) So, was asking for tips.

The link below lists what I packed during my last long bikepacking trip. This time again, it might be similar but wanted to pick some pearls of wisdom from you..:-)

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/mistergordo/what-am-i-riding-and-have-packed/

(05-29-2024, 06:05 AM)Dusan Wrote:  Hello everyone!

Thanks!

I don't have a list written down anywhere, I've been bikepacking for a long time, so I kind of already know what's essential for me and what's better left at home.

But you can find lots of these lists online, including on this forum. Yours looks well-thought-out as well!

On this particular bike trip I wasn't camping, which is why my setup looks lightweight. Instead, I was sleeping in accommodations along the way.

When I camp, I usually strap my tent on the handlebars and the sleeping bag and mat go in the saddle bag.

Btw, how do you like your fat bike for bikepacking? Are you only using it for off-road riding or do you also ride on paved roads?
@Dusan How long did it take to do your 7000Km tour? I assume you did some sightseeing and partook of the local culture in your travels making it a rather time consuming event while not riding. Since I am nearing full retirement I forsee myself touring again, as opposed to the quick one day local touring I am presently constrained to due to work requirements.
Take care,
Jesper

(06-08-2024, 11:52 AM)Jesper Wrote:  @Dusan How long did it take to do your 7000Km tour. I assume you did some sightseeing and partook of the local culture in your travels making it a rather tine consuming event while not riding. Since I am nearing fill retirement I forsee myself touring again, as opposed to the quick one day local touring I am presently constrained to due to work requirements.

@Jesper It took me a bit under 3 months to do the whole trip. Looking back, I think I rushed it a bit and didn't have enough time to immerse myself fully at certain points. I'd say you need at least double the time to really take it easy and soak everything up.

However, at the time, I was a bit younger and pretty constrained by budget and free time, so I rode around 100km a day and took some rest days for sightseeing in bigger cities.
(06-10-2024, 04:38 AM)Dusan Wrote:  
(06-08-2024, 11:52 AM)Jesper Wrote:  @Dusan How long did it take to do your 7000Km tour. I assume you did some sightseeing and partook of the local culture in your travels making it a rather tine consuming event while not riding. Since I am nearing fill retirement I forsee myself touring again, as opposed to the quick one day local touring I am presently constrained to due to work requirements.

@Jesper It took me a bit under 3 months to do the whole trip. Looking back, I think I rushed it a bit and didn't have enough time to immerse myself fully at certain points. I'd say you need at least double the time to really take it easy and soak everything up.

However, at the time, I was a bit younger and pretty constrained by budget and free time, so I rode around 100km a day and took some rest days for sightseeing in bigger cities.

Thanks for the information. That's still putting on some distance per day for the amount of time you took to complete it. Compared to you I only did about 2200Km over 2 months. I took about 3 weeks of visitation break; but mainly due to needing to wait out winter storms. My long days were about 240Km with 9-10 hours in the saddle. I doubt I could do that anymore since it has been 40 years; one century (miles) ride per year is enough. Now I am happy to do 100 miles per week while still working 48 hrs. I had a medium sized backpack and small homemade rear rack that I tied clothes wrapped in a plastic bag; travelled fairly light compared to what I seen nowadays even for folks just doing an overnight tour.
Your bike looks pretty good for doing some distance without being heavily loaded. I think that is about as much as I would want. I would prefer the load to be lower if doing a lot of out of the saddle climbing since I know it takes up more energy to control a weight load that is higher up with the bike swinging side to side.
Take care,
Jesper

(06-10-2024, 10:19 PM)Jesper Wrote:  
(06-10-2024, 04:38 AM)Dusan Wrote:  

Thanks for the information. That's still putting on some distance per day for the amount of time you took to complete it. Compared to you I only did about 2200Km over 2 months. I took about 3 weeks of visitation break; but mainly due to needing to wait out winter storms. My long days were about 240Km with 9-10 hours in the saddle. I doubt I could do that anymore since it has been 40 years; one century (miles) ride per year is enough. Now I am happy to do 100 miles per week while still working 48 hrs. I had a medium sized backpack and small homemade rear rack that I tied clothes wrapped in a plastic bag; travelled fairly light compared to what I seen nowadays even for folks just doing an overnight tour.
Your bike looks pretty good for doing some distance without being heavily loaded. I think that is about as much as I would want. I would prefer the load to be lower if doing a lot of out of the saddle climbing since I know it takes up more energy to control a weight load that is higher up with the bike swinging side to side.

@Jesper I think doing less distance and taking your time is the way to go when possible. So, 2,200km over 2 months seems about right. For me, bikepacking is about experience and memories, not about physical achievements (not anymore), so I like taking my time.
240km is a lot to do in a day even when not loaded, especially if you need to repeat it again the day after. I did a few such long days, but it ends up being riding only and no sightseeing, which is a missed opportunity to experience stuff along the way.
You're right, the saddle bag sways quite a lot from side to side when climbing out of the saddle, but I don't do that much when bikepacking and I also try to tighten everything up as much as possible to minimize movement.
Did you have issues with saddle sores when riding with a backpack? I was always wary of riding with one because I thought the additional weight on my sit bones could cause troubles, but I see some people doing it.
(06-14-2024, 06:21 AM)Dusan Wrote:  Did you have issues with saddle sores when riding with a backpack? I was always wary of riding with one because I thought the additional weight on my sit bones could cause troubles, but I see some people doing it.

When I did my long tour I did not experience any problems (saddle sores, pain in butt or back). It may have been that by that time I had already been commuting to school over 40Km a day with a backpack filled with books, etc. I was also a multisport athlete so thank probably helped round out my fitness and muscle conditioning. I think I had about 9 to 10Kg of weight in the pack when touring. I did not even have any specialized cycling gear at that time, just sweatpants and running shoes. Now I ride with about 2 to 3Kg in my pack with unpadded cycling shorts. My back is the problem in old age even without a pack; cold weather kills me, but I prevail without medication.

I think one other factor regarding my butt condition is my lower body weight (presently approx. 62.5Kg; 40 years ago approx. 60Kg) which would not cause as much pressure applied to the saddle. I have trouble with new Brooks saddles because I cannot break them in, so I try to find a slightly used one already softened up a bit. My San Marco Rolls saddles that I have regularly used for 35 to 40 years show no signs of padding deterioration even with regular usage so my weight and riding position must not have as much of an impact on my body and equipment as it might for heavier riders.
Also, riding in an aero postion takes some of the load off the butt, compared to riding in a more upright position, with more load applied to the wrists, arms, and shoulders. I noticed this while doing an informal criterium race where I used (for fun) my 1970 Raleigh Sports roadster with a fairly new Brooks Flyer saddle (they have coil springs). I rode over 20 miles that day in a much more upright position than my norm. My back was fine, but my butt was sore; unsure if it was saddle and/or riding position related discomfort since my normal rides on the same bike were only 8 to 10 miles (including some off-road miles) and I did not experience any pain or discomfort from those rides.

Looking at your bike set-up I think I would be pretty comfortable except in a stretch position using the aerobars which is something I do not use on any of my bikes for a couple reasons in that I prefer more control and my back would not be happy. I do use bullhorns without issue except when on my "lo-pro" TT bike, but that is a different story altogether.

Big difference when riding these bikes, especially for 60yr old with multiple past injuries.

'70 Raleigh Sports

'87 Nishiki Linear

Take care,
Jesper

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post