Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the May Giveaway for a Change to Win the Thruster 27.5 Retrograde BMX Cruiser Bike

Should Dylan Groenewegen receive another ban?
Last night, I watched highlights from the Tour de Hongrie (2.Pro cat.) multi-day race.

And once again sprinter Groenewegen was involved in a physical "interaction". After receiving a nine-month ban for almost killing Fabio Jakobsen in 2020, he still finds himself in nasty situations, and it seems that he hasn't learned that much after all. What are your thoughts about such repetitive behaviour? Shouldn't he be penalized more strictly? This time he even kept his 2nd place, amazing.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/groenewegen-penalised-for-obstruction-in-lead-in-to-stage-2-tour-de-hongrie-sprint/
(0:23-0:27 sec. in the video)
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
I blame UCI. Tjey are so particular about a bike feature/design relating (supposedly) to safety, and yet cannot truly oversee racing and its many problems.
I do not watch a start or end of a race/stage. To me the main ptoblem is too mamy racers alliwed per event. Teams are far too large, whixh hampers events and even insividual twam mebers trying to make a name for themselves. I have always thought that teams should only be 4 (sprinter, climber, TT, general), any more is overkill on the road.

Penalizing by time (whether by actual sec/min, or %), and other penalties are a joke since you cannot quantify something like interference and how much it affects another rider, or how many riders might be affected by it. My opinion is a disqualification should be imposed for the specific race (not stage); and repeated incidents should result in banning a racer's participation.
Mass starts and crowded finishes are massive problems and with less bikes out there it would help alleviate some problems and increase safety; of course it only takes 2 riders to have a problem, but if when drafting or passing a certain minimum distance is imposed it might also help create "cleaner" racing.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS