Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

I like double hand grips
One bike came with cheap plastic hand grips, about as thin as they make them. These would be a good size for a child, but they were too thin for an adult. I bought some synthetic rubber hand grips, and stretched them over the thin plastic ones. This made them much more comfortable.

If anyone has hand grips that are too thin, consider doing something similar.

You can probably buy more expensive hand grips. But I have one set of cheap hand grips, over another set of cheap hand grips, and they work well.
I generally don't like cheap grips because they don't perform well if it rains or when you're hands start sweating. You lose a lot of grip, so do let us know about the performance. Preferably, silicon grips are cheap and perform better for me over plastic
(05-21-2023, 04:28 AM)Talha Wrote:  I generally don't like cheap grips because they don't perform well if it rains or when you're hands start sweating. You lose a lot of grip, so do let us know about the performance. Preferably, silicon grips are cheap and perform better for me over plastic

The internal grips are plastic. The external grips go over those, and are what your hands hold. I don't know what they are made of. It is some kind of synthetic material, similar to rubber. Grip is not a problem when it rains, or you sweat. The larger diameter makes them easier to grip.

If you see cheap rubber-like grips, they might be similar. They come in a range of colors.
(05-20-2023, 09:58 PM)ichitan Wrote:  One bike came with cheap plastic hand grips, about as thin as they make them. These would be a good size for a child, but they were too thin for an adult. I bought some synthetic rubber hand grips, and stretched them over the thin plastic ones. This made them much more comfortable.

If anyone has hand grips that are too thin, consider doing something similar.

You can probably buy more expensive hand grips. But I have one set of cheap hand grips, over another set of cheap hand grips, and they work well.

I do this for bartapes on my road bike, I dont like spending alot of money on something that you will need to replace every 6months to 1 year so putting 2 cheap products on top of each other solves the cushion problem and the grip(with proper gloves ofcourse)

Glad to read here that you can also do this for mountain bikes, i'll explore this when I go back to mountain biking. Thanks mate!
(05-21-2023, 12:56 PM)meamoantonio Wrote:  Glad to read here that you can also do this for mountain bikes, i'll explore this when I go back to mountain biking.

It can be difficult to stretch the hand grip to fit over the other one. So experiment.

When I first did it, I pushed the hand grips over the necks of bottles, and left them to stretch for a couple of days. When I put them on the bike, i got them on about two thirds of the way, on the first day. The next day a little further. The next day a little further. After about a week, I got them all the way on.

(05-21-2023, 04:28 AM)Talha Wrote:  silicon grips are cheap and perform better for me over plastic

I have actually done this on two bikes now, and used hand grips from different shops. The internal hand grips on the first bike were plastic. The internal hand grips on the second bike were synthetic rubber. So I have synthetic rubber hand grips over synthetic rubber hand grips.

One type of hand grip I have used, looks like this. Is this what you call silicon?

As already mentioned, anyone doing this should pre-stretch the hand grips. I pushed them over the necks of bottles. See if others can come up with other ideas. Anyone not in a hurry, should pre-stretch them longer than I did, maybe two weeks or more.

Something I have not tried, but is worth experimenting with, is warming up the hand grips before trying to stretch them. You could leave them in the sunlight, or put them in warm water for awhile.

Anyone doing this, share your experience.
Here are some photos.

The outer grips on the first bike completely cover the internal plastic grips inside.

On the second bike, the outer grips do not completely cover the internal grips, but are comfortable. I could cut the internal grips shorter so they look better, but it is not necessary.

Anyone who finds larger hand grips more comfortable, could do something similar.

I always seem to go through grips on mountain bikes and Bmx bikes but I usually just buy the cheap normal ones, but this could be a good call as my current Bmx grips ripped in middle on both sides and just hanging on but if I had two I suppose even if the top pair ripped it would slide around at least
(05-21-2023, 04:28 AM)Talha Wrote:  I generally don't like cheap grips because they don't perform well if it rains or when you're hands start sweating. You lose a lot of grip, so do let us know about the performance. Preferably, silicon grips are cheap and perform better for me over plastic

Strong this.

I've had even name brand grips get slippery on me in the sweat. What was even scarier maybe was they were supposed to be for BMX.

Nightmare fuel.

I never thought I would have grips that are too grippy, but recently I stalled a pair of Fuji grips that actually red-banded my hands inside.

Silicon grips have been a game-winner for me also. The cushion is great for preventing hands from going numb. I was riding the Black Ops ones until recently I busted them trying to make a narrow pass on wide 700mm bars. I had thought they were indestructible prior to this. I went ahead and got me a pair of Specialized XC Race, because I know the quality will definitely be there with Specialized. You have to install them a special way, so make sure you look this up before anyone dives head first. WD-40 or even Triflow will not get you anywhere.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/xc-race-grips/p/156317

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post