Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Cycling during pregnancy?
A question for the ladies, obviously The guys can give me their advice if they've had their partners pregnant and cycling...
Everything I've read says to avoid all cycling during pregnancy (except for stationary biking!) due to falls. I've fallen once and it was a tiny slip because it was the first snow. What really causes a fall? I want to play it safe, but I would still love to commute to work.
How many women have continued to cycle during pregnancy? How experienced were you in the first place? When did you stop?
Thanks for any help!
Your Bio says your a dude, how did you get knocked up? Bet you didn't see that coming
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(05-20-2023, 05:39 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  Your Bio says your a dude, how did you get knocked up? Bet you didn't see that coming

WOW.... Interesting
Some of us fat challenged people become almost the same shape as a pregnant woman. Maybe there are benefits to this.

I am joking.

People who want to get the maximum performance from their bike, don't want to gain weight, unless it is increased muscle mass.
I don't think that it's a good idea to continue doing it.
I think it could be great for the circulation and metabolism stimulation if the proper conditions are secured.

First is the riding position. One that doesn't cause obstructions in any way.

Second is moderation. Staying in a light aerobic zone only. Keep the sessions very light. 15/20 mins maybe.

Third is hydration and nutrition. Cycling will deplete your electrolytes, macros, and micronutrients. Staying fully hydrated, on top of your carbs, healthy omega fats, and protein/EAA/BCAA aminos is extremely important to prevent elements of malnourishment.
Prioritizing the safety of both you and your baby is crucial during pregnancy. Your healthcare provider will be the best person to provide guidance on whether cycling is appropriate for you and, if so, until what stage of pregnancy it is safe to continue.
Not a female but from what little I know I feel like stationary bikes would be great for the exercise and overall health but biking on roads etc. might be playing a little to much on the edge as a fall could do some serious damage :/. But maybe if you’re a really solid rider and just keeping in relatively easy you’d probably be fine I suppose
my wife continued cycling until like 7th month of the pregnancy. She was also commuting but when it was raining or slippery during winter, she would skip it, just in case. Also she was doing some more intense trainings indoors on Rouvy, but still in lower intestity than before the pregnancy. Of course, if you have any risks during your pregnancy, rather stop it, it is only for 9months.