Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

USA State bicycle/car laws
Exclamation 
Hey, gang. I believe most of us bike riders are aware of the dangers of road cycling. We have lights on the bikes. We wear a helmet. We look around and are aware of our surroundings. We signal turns.
But, did you know the things we do to stay safe are actually laws in many states? There are helmet laws, light laws, and rules of the road, etc.
The problem is, the cars and trucks on the road have laws pertaining to bicycle safety too, but they don't know them. To them we are an annoyance. Hit the gas when they are inches away from us giving us the diesel cloud. Sounding the horn and even yelling out of the window to get off the road. Not all roads have a designated bike lane.
We are allowed on the road as a vehicle, but many don't know that.
How well do you know the laws in your state, and how is the message sent to motor vehicle drivers? Here's one site from bike league.org showing laws in every state. Share the road license plates programs in many states send not only a message, but funding for safer roads and education. Spread the word in your state and stay safe.

https://www.bikeleague.org/StateBikeLaws
Motorists are so irresponsible it's sickening.

They forget that driving is a privilege—and take it as an entitlement.

I absolutely hate dealing with motorist entitlement. Rushing to cut me off and assert the right-of-way. Cyclists have the right-of-way at all times. Motorists must be aware of pedestrians in the crosswalk at all times. This includes approaching the crosswalk. But they totally disregard this and assert right-of-way.

I try to ride on the sidewalk as much as I can. But really, there's no such thing as being safe enough.
Being a bike commuter in Minneapolis for decades I've certainly had my share of drivers who are angry and abusive toward me, even though I obey all the rules and ride as safely as possible.

Now we've moved to Ecuador it's an entirely different situation. The drivers here don't get angry at you for riding a bike, they just literally don't see you. And if they do they don't understand. They don't understand why you are riding a bike, and don't understand they are not supposed to endanger your life. This goes for pedestrians too. I can't tell you how many times I've seen women literally holding a baby try to cross the road at a crosswalk and drivers will blow past her honking their horn like the act of crossing the road is somehow not allowed.

My wife and I ride our bikes for transport here in Loja every day and every single day we are cut off by a driver that doesn't see us. It's incredibly dangerous but at least, it feels somewhat better than being yelled at by angry drivers in the US. It's an interesting mental challenge. Both situations are bad, but here at least we're not verbally abused. Haha, I guess that feels better??

This is a developing country and if there are road laws here pertaining to the driving of vehicles, they certainly aren't enforced. Crosswalks means absolutely nothing, stop signs also mean nothing, cars blow through them like they don't exist. Drivers here literally believe they own the road and will do anything they want. We see some absolutely craaaaaazy stuff when we're riding around town. I mean, next level, stuff you would't believe if you hadn't seen it.

It's pretty interesting for sure. Fascinating to see from an outsider's perspective.

Stay safe out there!
My YouTube channel about life and riding bikes in Ecuador: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC53LAQO8WH782Tjr_N8WPOg

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-22-2019, 01:48 PM
Last Post: G_M