Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Is the cycling belong aerobic or anaerobic exercise? What is the effect of weight los
I like to do cycling and I want to lose weight through cycling. But my friend told me about cardio instead of cycling, since cycling burns calories at a much slower rate. Is it true? So what's better to lose calories faster, cycling or other exercises?
Cycling can be either. It depends on how oxygenated you remain.

As long as you stay in an aerobic zone, your body can continue to use fat for energy, given it has carbs to do so (then it switches into ketosis). To lose weight this way, just stay in an aerobic zone. You won't burn as many calories cycling this way, so you may have to also follow a stricter diet and supplement plan. Even though you will continue to burn calories after you're done cycling.

The more intense your cycling, the more conditioning your heart will get, and the more mass you can build. This is where anaerobic cycling keys in. It wants to build mass, which gives you more oxygen stores, which increases peak performance. The best way to get into this type of cycling is to do anaerobic sprints at certain stages of your route.

If you want targeted fat loss, you need to work the muscles where you want to lose fat from. Your goal is to build up muscle mass, because more mass means higher general metabolic rate. Your body will continue to burn calories from that area to fuel recovery of that area and to fuel the muscle mass you put there in stationary time. Weight training and bodybuilding exercises are the best way to do this.
(10-27-2022, 06:06 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Cycling can be either. It depends on how oxygenated you remain.

As long as you stay in an aerobic zone, your body can continue to use fat for energy, given it has carbs to do so (then it switches into ketosis). To lose weight this way, just stay in an aerobic zone. You won't burn as many calories cycling this way, so you may have to also follow a stricter diet and supplement plan. Even though you will continue to burn calories after you're done cycling.

The more intense your cycling, the more conditioning your heart will get, and the more mass you can build. This is where anaerobic cycling keys in. It wants to build mass, which gives you more oxygen stores, which increases peak performance. The best way to get into this type of cycling is to do anaerobic sprints at certain stages of your route.

If you want targeted fat loss, you need to work the muscles where you want to lose fat from. Your goal is to build up muscle mass, because more mass means higher general metabolic rate. Your body will continue to burn calories from that area to fuel recovery of that area and to fuel the muscle mass you put there in stationary time. Weight training and bodybuilding exercises are the best way to do this.

When I stay in an aerobic zone, how much speed do I need to keep? What should I keep my heart rate at?
(10-27-2022, 04:21 AM)Santic Wrote:  I like to do cycling and I want to lose weight through cycling. But my friend told me about cardio instead of cycling, since cycling burns calories at a much slower rate. Is it true? So what's better to lose calories faster, cycling or other exercises?

To lose weight, diet is really important. You can have a good exercise program, but if you don't have an appropriate diet, you may not lose much weight.

Some people go on diets for a while. When they stop, the weight goes back on. You need to be consistent. Don't think of it as a diet, but a permanent lifestyle change.

The key is to eat natural healthy foods, and keep your calories down.

If you keep your calories down for a long time, you get to the point where you no longer feel like eating too much. This may take many months.

The best exercise is the exercise you enjoy. If you push yourself to do something you don't really enjoy, at some point you will give up. I like cycling.

(10-28-2022, 02:05 AM)Santic Wrote:  When I stay in an aerobic zone, how much speed do I need to keep? What should I keep my heart rate at?

It depends on how fit you are. As your fitness level improves, you will be able to ride faster, including riding faster up hills, ride for longer distances, and ride faster at the end of the ride. You will also recover quicker after exercise. There was a time when I could not ride very far without getting exhausted. This increased. I got to the point where I could ride 50 km in a day, but needed 2 or 3 days to rest and recover. Now I can ride 50 or 60 km in a day, every day. I don't need days off to rest and recover. I can ride as fast at the end of the ride, as I can at the start.

Don't make it a competition with other people. Think of it as constantly improving yourself. If you are fitter now than you were 6 months ago, you are doing well. This should also apply for the next 6 months, the 6 months after, and keep continuing.

I will most likely live longer as a result of improving my health. You can to.
Well, cycling is CARDIOvascular exercise. Losing weight is a simple formula. Burn more calories than you take in on a daily basis. Calories get consumed in a fat burning/cardio heart rate zone more efficiently. That zone is at about 75%-80% of your max heart rate. Going faster does not make you lose weight faster. Your aerobic conditioning may get better and VO2max but going anaerobic is not efficient. Your body wants to burn fats as it's preferred fuel. As usual, everyone is different, and, yes, clean food, quality proteins, and good habits go a long way.
Quote: 'Does cycling belong aerobic or anaerobic exercise?'

Cycling is aerobic exercise.

If someone was to ask me what my ideal weight is, i would say. When I don't have fat on my belly. It will not matter how much I weigh, when I don't have fat on my belly. Weight is not the issue. Fat is the issue.

If a person does more anaerobic exercises, they may have larger muscles and weigh more. If they do more aerobic exercises, they may have thinner muscles and weigh less. When I don't have fat on my belly, it will not be important if my muscles are a bit larger or smaller, within reason.
As most people say: 70% of your weight loss going to be diet. Exercising helps a huge amount ,especially if you want to maintain your muscles while losing fat, but most of the success is still bound to your diet. Cycling is definitely an aerobic type(same as running and anything that is considered slow cardio - when your heartbeat is steadily increased) and pretty good at burning calories.
I'm usually doign both cycling and running since those hit a bit differently(gotta find a good pair of running shoes though - was a real torture before I got mine right. Currently using Wide toebox Hoka shoes)
Thumbs Up 
(10-28-2022, 11:05 AM)ichitan Wrote:  
(10-27-2022, 04:21 AM)Santic Wrote:  I like to do cycling and I want to lose weight through cycling. But my friend told me about cardio instead of cycling, since cycling burns calories at a much slower rate. Is it true? So what's better to lose calories faster, cycling or other exercises?

To lose weight, diet is really important. You can have a good exercise program, but if you don't have an appropriate diet, you may not lose much weight.

Some people go on diets for a while. When they stop, the weight goes back on. You need to be consistent. Don't think of it as a diet, but a permanent lifestyle change.

The key is to eat natural healthy foods, and keep your calories down.

If you keep your calories down for a long time, you get to the point where you no longer feel like eating too much. This may take many months.

The best exercise is the exercise you enjoy. If you push yourself to do something you don't really enjoy, at some point you will give up. I like cycling.

(10-28-2022, 02:05 AM)Santic Wrote:  When I stay in an aerobic zone, how much speed do I need to keep? What should I keep my heart rate at?

It depends on how fit you are. As your fitness level improves, you will be able to ride faster, including riding faster up hills, ride for longer distances, and ride faster at the end of the ride. You will also recover quicker after exercise. There was a time when I could not ride very far without getting exhausted. This increased. I got to the point where I could ride 50 km in a day, but needed 2 or 3 days to rest and recover. Now I can ride 50 or 60 km in a day, every day. I don't need days off to rest and recover. I can ride as fast at the end of the ride, as I can at the start.

Don't make it a competition with other people. Think of it as constantly improving yourself. If you are fitter now than you were 6 months ago, you are doing well. This should also apply for the next 6 months, the 6 months after, and keep continuing.

I will most likely live longer as a result of improving my health. You can to.

Thank you for your reply!!!Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

(10-28-2022, 01:32 PM)SPINMAN Wrote:  Well, cycling is CARDIOvascular exercise. Losing weight is a simple formula. Burn more calories than you take in on a daily basis. Calories get consumed in a fat burning/cardio heart rate zone more efficiently. That zone is at about 75%-80% of your max heart rate. Going faster does not make you lose weight faster. Your aerobic conditioning may get better and VO2max but going anaerobic is not efficient. Your body wants to burn fats as it's preferred fuel. As usual, everyone is different, and, yes, clean food, quality proteins, and good habits go a long way.

Thank you for sharing, I learned a lot of knowledge that I didn't understand.
You don't need to follow your heart rate, you need to follow your oxygen intensity.

Listen to your body. When you feel like you're running out of air, you're in the danger zone.

Obviously, the higher you hug the curve in the aerobic zone, the more calories you will burn. But note that your body will continue to burn calories afterwards throughout the night/day, and will still continue to burn extra calories during the recovery process.

You may not have to put extreme emphasis on how high you're hugging the curve in the aerobic zone to achieve your goal.

Also note, you will need to mind your macros and micros, because when you run out of carbs and protein, you're compromising your metabolism. You should keep some carbs, aminos, and b-vitamins on steady tap.
I recently read an article in a magazine that said a person could only lose weight by reducing the number of calories consumed.
The answer to this question is both.

Cycling is a combination of aerobic and anaerobic exercise. The impact of weight loss on your cycling performance depends on your level of fitness and the type of cycling you do.

If you're just starting out and have a lot of weight to lose, then you should focus on cardio conditioning and strength training. If you are already fit, then it's better to focus on strength training and sprinting/hill climbing.

For example, sprinting or hill climbing will improve your ability to go faster, while strength training will increase your endurance and help prevent injuries.
Cycling is a great form of exercise for weight loss and it can be both aerobic and anaerobic depending on the intensity and duration of your ride.
Please, intelligent people of the world, just read this COMPANY'S post!

What I would like is for thinly veiled marketing and research techniques to be obliterated from online public forums. Website administrators need to be more observant of these pathetic and obvious uses of the public opinion to gain free marketing information. This is nothing different than an "paid" online "survey" except for the paid part.
Santic, please just come out and identify yourself as a company trying to access public opinion for cost free market research.
I work as an IT security professional (and also have a governmental intelligence background), and although there is nothing illegal about what "Santic" is doing; this company is only trying to get free information to propel their profit margin based on those who will pay for merchandise produced by low cost labor.
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but I have seen this occur so many times that it is becoming pathetic.
What needs to happen is for companies like this, China based company, is to PAY YOU for providing them with valuable research data. This company is merely taking advantage of unsuspecting and gullible participants contributing in their plan to gain market information for free in order to profit off of it.
What is sad is that this company is open about who they are, and yet the public on this site is willing to give them information that "Santic" would have to pay professional marketing analysts for under normal circumstances. Thus, they gain from free marketing advice and low cost production labor.

I leave this to your own ethics if you decide to continue to provide this unethical company free information.

I have already done "deep dives" on this and other companies participating openly on this and other websites only to find that the general public is happy to unwaryingly provide them information that would otherwise, under normal circumstances, require a company (at a much higher cost) to hire someone to gather the same information.

These techniques are used by many companies, most of which put much more effort, and thus money, into their marketing research efforts.

Many companies are now just "phishing" for free information with general postings on forum sites (and emails, etc.) like this, and are most pleased for any responses provided to their (often "bot" generated) queries.

Fot those who care about the integrity of this and other forum sites that they are honestly supporting; please just ignore these postings and bring them to the attention of site administrators so that a disclaimer will be attached identifying these postings as commercial "phishing" threads.

I have, on this site alone, easily identified companies particitpating within the forums, private messaging, and onsite advertising.

Do what you will, but these unethical efforts only degrade the true nature of what a general public forum website was established for. I certainly understand the need for advertising, marketing, and the gathering of online information, but it should be done in an open and honest manner.

Essentially, every online "social" site is being unobstrusively or openly "mined" for information to be used for varying purposes. I am just providing a public warning to those who are not aware of it.
The amount of time spent pedaling is crucial if you're aiming to reach your goal by bicycle. You may burn more calories and reduce belly fat by taking longer rides and cycling uphill. An hour of moderate cycling burns about 450 calories. A prolonged period of intense riding can burn roughly 900 calories per hour.
As for me, cycling is a fantastic workout that offers the benefits of both aerobic and anaerobic exercise. It's an excellent way to enhance your cardiovascular health and simultaneously develop powerful leg muscles. As for weight loss, it's important to remember that calorie burn depends on various factors like intensity and duration. While cycling may burn calories at a slower rate compared to some other exercises, it can still be effective for weight loss when combined with a balanced diet. I recently came across the Reverse Health webpage, which has some interesting insights on weight loss. You might find it helpful to check out.
I felt like I would actually gain weight whenever I did the long-distance supported rides. Supported rides involved so much "support" or refueling, I wasn't sure how helpful it was with losing any weight. If anything I gained a lot more girth around my waist..:-(

I definitely love how strong the legs and heart get with enough training. I rarely stopped to think about whether cycling is aerobic or an anaerobic exercise.

Finally, I have seen folks bigger and "heavier" than me ride faster and tackle huge mountain passes while I lagged way, way behind.
When you say it's cardio, all you are saying that it's fitness for the cardiovascular system. This means improving endurance AND recovery, AND performance. It is both aerobic AND anaerobic. Understanding what these terms mean is important. Aerobic means with oxygen, so in a zone that may be easy or challenging, but you are able to maintain an effort for an extended period of time. Anaerobic means without oxygen. Exceeding your limit to the point where you cannot oxygenate your blood fat enough to get that blood to all parts of the body, especially the legs and brain and you bonk. Even elite athletes only train anaerobically about 10% of the time. It's good to challenge yourself with a sprint all-out gory that may last only 10-20 seconds or up to two minutes. Check the heart rate monitor.

(10-29-2022, 04:58 AM)ichitan Wrote:  Quote: 'Does cycling belong aerobic or anaerobic exercise?'

Cycling is aerobic exercise.

If someone was to ask me what my ideal weight is, i would say. When I don't have fat on my belly. It will not matter how much I weigh, when I don't have fat on my belly. Weight is not the issue. Fat is the issue.

If a person does more anaerobic exercises, they may have larger muscles and weigh more. If they do more aerobic exercises, they may have thinner muscles and weigh less. When I don't have fat on my belly, it will not be important if my muscles are a bit larger or smaller, within reason.
Both cycling and other forms of cardio exercises can be effective for burning calories and aiding in weight loss. The number of calories burned during exercise depends on various factors such as the intensity, duration, and your individual body composition.
Cycling:

Cycling is a low-impact cardio exercise that can be enjoyed both indoors on a stationary bike or outdoors on a road or mountain bike.
The number of calories burned during cycling depends on factors like your weight, cycling speed, terrain (if outdoors), and resistance level (if using a stationary bike).
Cycling can be a great option for those who enjoy outdoor activities, scenic rides, or group cycling classes. It can also be gentler on the joints compared to some high-impact exercises.
Other Cardio Exercises:

Other cardio exercises like running, jogging, swimming, jumping rope, and dancing can also be effective for burning calories and promoting weight loss.
High-impact exercises like running and jumping rope can burn calories at a faster rate due to the higher intensity and impact on the body.
Swimming is a full-body workout that can provide an excellent cardio workout while being easy on the joints.

Which is Better for Weight Loss?
The effectiveness of each exercise for weight loss depends on your personal preferences, fitness level, and consistency with the activity. It's essential to choose an exercise that you enjoy and can sustain over time. Consistency is key when it comes to weight loss, and you are more likely to stick with an exercise routine that you find enjoyable.

If you enjoy cycling, it can be a fantastic way to burn calories and contribute to weight loss, especially if you engage in longer, more challenging rides or participate in cycling classes that incorporate intervals and varied intensities. The key to successful weight loss is creating a calorie deficit, which can be achieved through a combination of regular exercise and a balanced diet.

If you want to feel your calorie consumption more intuitively during exercise, a smart watch will be a very good choice. I often wear my bpdoctormed smart watch when I exercise to check the indicators of my exercise and physical condition.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-22-2023, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Lss555

10-18-2019, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Aab

11-30-2014, 04:59 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET