Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Anything new with electric motorcycles?
The electric bike idea is appealing not as a main bike, but as a second bike that I probably won't use for long trips.
The smoothness, the instant torque, the fact that you don't have to stop at the gas station
and just plug it in when you get back to the garage are all factors that appeal to my heart.
What it really comes down to is: are you propelling a vehicle by yourself, or with partial or full assistance? This site is getting rather overwhelmed with general e-bike threads, but what people forget is that cycling in its essence is about you providing the power and not any other source. That is what gives you a feeling of accomplishment; whether riding a couple miles to work, to the store, or doing a century ride.
It is great that e-bikes are allowing people to get out and receive some exercise benefits, but I do not consider this actual bicycling which regardless of what level you ride at because it is not based on your own power. I realize that folks of all ages benefit from riding in whatever capacity; but I would be rather depressed if there was a Tour De France where e-bikes were par for the course (professional cyclists have already been caught using electrical motor assist during competition). Would you consider someone who calls themselves a runner to be the same as someone who runs for half a mile and then rides in a car for a couple miles a "runner"?
I personally, after riding bicycles from the age of at least 4 years old, consider e-bikes to be just another transportation option for those who want to use them regardless of whether they have ever been on a real bicycle or not. 2 wheels do not make a bicycle; Europeans have used "e-bikes" for decades, they called them mopeds, but ran on petrol instead of electricity. I consider them to be the same vehicle aside from their non-human power source (albeit substantially heavier; but "Whizzers" and other "lightweight" petrol powered "bikes" have been around for decades also).

I have been asked if there are event for e-bikes; what? I guess the new motorized sport, designed to again further reduce the world's resources, will be ebike racing (electric car racing has been around for some time now; it's only a matter of time if it isn't already happening).

Sorry; I am a cyclist (self-powered)!

I this my last post on this site.

To all who who enjoy cycling for whatever reason, and in whatever physical condition you are in; I applaud you all. It takes effort to get on and go!

Take care to all regardless of your ride; human powered or not.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(10-21-2022, 10:10 PM)Jesper Wrote:  What it really comes down to is: are you propelling a vehicle by yourself, or with partial or full assistance? This site is getting rather overwhelmed with general e-bike threads, but what people forget is that cycling in its essence is about you providing the power and not any other source. That is what gives you a feeling of accomplishment; whether riding a couple miles to work, to the store, or doing a century ride.
It is great that e-bikes are allowing people to get out and receive some exercise benefits, but I do not consider this actual bicycling which regardless of what level you ride at because it is not based on your own power. I realize that folks of all ages benefit from riding in whatever capacity; but I would be rather depressed if there was a Tour De France where e-bikes were par for the course (professional cyclists have already been caught using electrical motor assist during competition). Would you consider someone who calls themselves a runner to be the same as someone who runs for half a mile and then rides in a car for a couple miles a "runner"?
I personally, after riding bicycles from the age of at least 4 years old, consider e-bikes to be just another transportation option for those who want to use them regardless of whether they have ever been on a real bicycle or not. 2 wheels do not make a bicycle; Europeans have used "e-bikes" for decades, they called them mopeds, but ran on petrol instead of electricity. I consider them to be the same vehicle aside from their non-human power source (albeit substantially heavier; but "Whizzers" and other "lightweight" petrol powered "bikes" have been around for decades also).

I have been asked if there are event for e-bikes; what? I guess the new motorized sport, designed to again further reduce the world's resources, will be ebike racing (electric car racing has been around for some time now; it's only a matter of time if it isn't already happening).

Sorry; I am a cyclist (self-powered)!

I this my last post on this site.

To all who who enjoy cycling for whatever reason, and in whatever physical condition you are in; I applaud you all. It takes effort to get on and go!

Take care to all regardless of your ride; human powered or not.

Sorry to see you go. Good luck with with your future endeavors!
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard

I do not consider my eBike to be a motorcycle, but I certainly use it a lot more than I thought I would. When my arms/knees/back are killing me like today, it is an easy trip to the local food shop rather than starting & taking the car. Faster and more convenient using a chain and u-lock, rather than remote car alarm.

Is there anything new, yes every major bicycle manufacture has one or 2 eBikes that are under 30 pounds, making life easier to carry them up and down narrow stairwells if you live in a city. Fat tire bikes I seldom see except on trails adjacent to out of central downtown subdivisions. My main concern there are many people almost totally out of control accelerating powerful 75/100 pound dirt toys on paved separated bike paths where I ride my push bike.

But I am seeing more cargo style eBikes doing takeout deliveries, which make good sense in my opinion. Reminds me of the 2 cycle motorcycles that were common in Japan, and Hong Kong delivering hot food in the neighborhoods.
I am all for e-bikes. I wish the rules were a bit easier to understand and we could have just one class instead of 3.
They make trails so much easier and reduce the effort dramatically. As someone who is always on Mountain bike trails, I've had no difficulty riding these on dirt tracks. My friends have e-bikes and we often go on trails. Cycling together is so much easier and no one is left behind.

Possibly Related Threads...