Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Jumps a Gear
We have just changed a gear twist grip as previous broke. Have fitted a shimano 7 speed But now it jumps a gear in the middle.

1st fine
2nd fine
3rd fine
But when change to 4th it jumps to the fifth sprocket so then twist gear just goes to 6th But is actually 7th on sprocket.

It does the same going down gears,

If you just turn twist half way through clicks 3rd / 4th it will go onto 4th. But as soon as it clicks into 4th it just a gear.

Any help on how to rectify this appreciated
It seems the shifter moves the cable a slightly different distance than is required by the derailleur.

You should probably be able to rectify it with a new shifter or new derailleur.

I don't know if you like twist grips. Consider a gear changer that uses levers. If you do it yourself, it might be a challenge to know if any new part you buy will be just right. It should not be excessively expensive to replace the shifter with a different type, and see if the new one works correctly.
(08-08-2022, 05:09 PM)ichitan Wrote:  It seems the shifter moves the cable a slightly different distance than is required by the derailleur.

I don't know if you like twist grips. Consider a gear changer that uses levers. If you do it yourself, it might be a challenge to know if any new part you buy will be just right. It should not be excessively expensive to replace the shifter with a different type, and see if the new one works correctly.

Thank you
It is a new shifter. Think will just have to put up with it, atleast we have 6 gears..
(08-08-2022, 05:34 PM)Tazbox Wrote:  
(08-08-2022, 05:09 PM)ichitan Wrote:  It seems the shifter moves the cable a slightly different distance than is required by the derailleur.

Thank you
It is a new shifter. Think will just have to put up with it, atleast we have 6 gears..

Is the equipment that is already on the bike also Shimano? It certainly should not do what you have happening if the shifter is set-up for that derailleur and rear cluster. I am not a big fan of grip shifters due to problems similar to yours. Were you having any similar issues with the previous shifter?
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(08-09-2022, 02:06 AM)Jesper Wrote:  
(08-08-2022, 05:34 PM)Tazbox Wrote:  

Thank you

Is the equipment that is already on the bike also Shimano? It certainly should not do what you have happening if the shifter is set-up for that derailleur and rear cluster. I am not a big fan of grip shifters due to problems similar to yours. Were you having any similar issues with the previous shifter?

It's all shimano gear. We had a quick shift changer on, but advised to fit the proper shimano one after it broke
You may need a derailleur hangar alignment also.

Please note this if-and-when you check indexing and everything else.

Possibly Related Threads...