Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take part in the July Giveaway for VTUVIA SN100 Camouflage Fat Tire E-Bike $1679

Rim replacement for Old Cosmos SuperCorsa
Hey guys so I have ~50 years old Cosmos SuperCorsa and the only problem with it is that the rims are bent to the center. I want to replace them but I can't find the exact same brand at a good price. The wheels are from Campagnolo. The bike is 700c with 36 holes. The inner width is 13,5mm and the rim height is 18mm. Are the last 2 measurements not required or it should be exactly as the ones I have now? If you know of any rims which would fit could you point me in the right direction?
(06-24-2022, 02:00 AM)Alfredo Jarvis Wrote:  Hey guys so I have ~50 years old Cosmos SuperCorsa and the only problem with it is that the rims are bent to the center. I want to replace them but I can't find the exact same brand at a good price. The wheels are from Campagnolo. The bike is 700c with 36 holes. The inner width is 13,5mm and the rim height is 18mm. Are the last 2 measurements not required or it should be exactly as the ones I have now? If you know of any rims which would fit could you point me in the right direction?

Hi Afredo and welcome to the forum.

I would love to see some detailed photos of your bike to include the headbadge (if still in place) and the underside of the bottom bracket shell.
Are the rims damaged beyond being able to be trued? Any cracks or creases? Are the braking tracks overly worn?
You may be able to get the rims straightened and avoid rebuilding your wheel(s).
You do not need to obtain the same brand/model rims unless you are trying to restore the bike to original. Any rim capable of fitting a 700C tire will suffice. Your inner rim width will determine what range of tire width you can use. If you use the same rim width then you are looking at fitting approx. 20mm to 27mm wide tires. If you want to ride a wider tire you should rebuild the wheel with a wider rim. Check your frame clearance! Most of my race bikes will not accommodate tires over 28mm wide, even then 30mm was my limit; some of my frames can only fit around 25mm/1" tires at best.
If you use a different rim (but same basic dimensions) you might still need to replace spokes due to length on a different rim.
I would take your wheels to a local shop and get their opinion on the viability of preserving your present wheels.
If you are trying to match your old rims then you should start searching online for "new-old-stock"/NOS or used rims to match. If you want to buy used rims you need to inspect them closely for cracks at welds and spoke holes. It is not uncommon to find used rims that appear to be in great condition, but have stress cracks from spokes being overtightened or being used on harsh terrain or from harsh riding.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I have a pair for sale.

They are a Campagnolo Omega aero and a Mavic Open Sport 36H 700c.

The Campy is 13mm inside and the Mavic is 15mm.

They're currently listed in my eBay shop. Let me know if you're interested.