Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Rim replacement for Old Cosmos SuperCorsa
Hey guys so I have ~50 years old Cosmos SuperCorsa and the only problem with it is that the rims are bent to the center. I want to replace them but I can't find the exact same brand at a good price. The wheels are from Campagnolo. The bike is 700c with 36 holes. The inner width is 13,5mm and the rim height is 18mm. Are the last 2 measurements not required or it should be exactly as the ones I have now? If you know of any rims which would fit could you point me in the right direction?
(06-24-2022, 02:00 AM)Alfredo Jarvis Wrote:  Hey guys so I have ~50 years old Cosmos SuperCorsa and the only problem with it is that the rims are bent to the center. I want to replace them but I can't find the exact same brand at a good price. The wheels are from Campagnolo. The bike is 700c with 36 holes. The inner width is 13,5mm and the rim height is 18mm. Are the last 2 measurements not required or it should be exactly as the ones I have now? If you know of any rims which would fit could you point me in the right direction?

Hi Afredo and welcome to the forum.

I would love to see some detailed photos of your bike to include the headbadge (if still in place) and the underside of the bottom bracket shell.
Are the rims damaged beyond being able to be trued? Any cracks or creases? Are the braking tracks overly worn?
You may be able to get the rims straightened and avoid rebuilding your wheel(s).
You do not need to obtain the same brand/model rims unless you are trying to restore the bike to original. Any rim capable of fitting a 700C tire will suffice. Your inner rim width will determine what range of tire width you can use. If you use the same rim width then you are looking at fitting approx. 20mm to 27mm wide tires. If you want to ride a wider tire you should rebuild the wheel with a wider rim. Check your frame clearance! Most of my race bikes will not accommodate tires over 28mm wide, even then 30mm was my limit; some of my frames can only fit around 25mm/1" tires at best.
If you use a different rim (but same basic dimensions) you might still need to replace spokes due to length on a different rim.
I would take your wheels to a local shop and get their opinion on the viability of preserving your present wheels.
If you are trying to match your old rims then you should start searching online for "new-old-stock"/NOS or used rims to match. If you want to buy used rims you need to inspect them closely for cracks at welds and spoke holes. It is not uncommon to find used rims that appear to be in great condition, but have stress cracks from spokes being overtightened or being used on harsh terrain or from harsh riding.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I have a pair for sale.

They are a Campagnolo Omega aero and a Mavic Open Sport 36H 700c.

The Campy is 13mm inside and the Mavic is 15mm.

They're currently listed in my eBay shop. Let me know if you're interested.
@Jesper gave you some great advice there @Alfredo Jarvis - but I see you didn't even acknowledge his reply to your message!

On topic, I acquired a 1973 road frame, which was built by a classic English Framebuilder Youngs of Lewisham, South London and didn't want to fully restore it, I just wanted to build it and ride it as it is so unique and will also be 50 years old next year!
The 120mm spacing of the rear stays or Overlock Nut Distance (OLD) is something I wanted to preserve, rather than 'cold set' to 126mm (7 speed) or 130mm (8-upwards) so I built it as a single speed bike initially. This 120mm spacing was a constraint that led me to riding the bike as a single speed bike for over two years. However, I longed to use the Shimano 600 Arabesque parts that I had acquired (1978) to build it up as a friction-shifting 7-speed with a cassette on the rear hub and not a freewheel.

So this May, having acquired some wheelbuilding skills in a w/e workshop at RyanBuildsWheels in Bristol, UK I was advised by another UK wheel builder that there is a novel solution! So last month, I built a new wheelset with beautiful retro-looking silver alloy H&Son rims, laced to (modern looking and sounding) gloss black alloy BITEX hubs and silver Sapim Race double-butted spokes. New and old look great together and having road tested the wheels now, work well together. I think this solution presents readers with vintage frames with some modern wheel options, so wanted to share the details...

Specifically, this 7-11 speed wheelset was handbuilt with H & SON TB14 28 hole rims laced to Bitex (Rear) RAR8 (120mm OLD) and (Front) RAF12 (100mm OLD) hubs.

I would encourage anyone out there who owns a vintage bike to find strategies to keep it on the road and to continue to enjoy riding it?

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-31-2022, 06:08 AM)iLovesMyBike Wrote:  @Jesper gave you some great advice there
I would encourage anyone out there who owns a vintage bike to find strategies to keep it on the road and to continue to enjoy riding it?

What brand is that bike? Grandini? Late 60s-mid 70s? I am not familiar with the name if it is an Italian brand, or a "sounds like" an Italian brand bike. I am interested to know any details you have about it.
I have been, for the last few years, trying to document different Italian brands that have existed (primarily pre-2000). I have about 1000 brands of bike brands alone which does not include manufacturers of components, accessories, etc.
If you have more detailed photos of lugs, decals, underside of BB shell, crown, etc. I would be interested to see them. Are the components original to the year?
Take care,
Jesper

@Jesper Thanks for your interest. That sounds like a big project?

The Ciclo Grandini was built in London in 1973 - the frame makers were Youngs, of Lewisham South London - read all about the Ciclo Grandini here: https://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/classic_builders/youngs-cycles/ Here are a few frame lug details: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zicou7an4k4qmf/HipstamaticPhoto-608279200.249536.jpeg?

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks @iLovesMyBike for the link to Young's history. Very informative.
I had suspected that the "Grandini" name was not an Italian brand; many European and Asian companies used that selling tactic (both on low-end & high-end frames).
The Grandini was obviously a combination of English and Italian design tradition. That fast back seat cluster was probably fairly unique when it first was used, but even on your model it looks great and actually modernizes the frame's looks even though by that time the design was in use for a good decade or so.
Too bad yours does not have the fancier lugs! I guess the lugs used can help date your model if a serial number doesn't help date it.
I have already entered it into my "Italia Bicyclopedia" since I am including "Italian-like" names in list to clarify the using/history of them; as well as the marque's design having an indirect Italian lineage.
I would like a head badge image if you can post one. Thanks!
Take care,
Jesper

(08-31-2022, 06:08 AM)iLovesMyBike Wrote:  Specifically, this 7-11 speed wheelset was handbuilt with H & SON TB14 28 hole rims laced to Bitex (Rear) RAR8 (120mm OLD) and (Front) RAF12 (100mm OLD) hubs.

I'm also interested in using a Bitex RAR8 hub (120mm frame from the 70s). Could you please show some close-up photos of your setup?

With kind regards from Germany

Dirk

Attached Files Image(s)