Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

What are your thoughts on E-bikes?
Hello, bike riders!
Some love them but some hate them Big Grin What are your general thoughts about electric bikes? Be frank and don't be afraid to share your honest opinion.

Aren't they too heavy? Aren't they great for urban use?
Join the discussion and share your thoughts!

I love the idea of e-bikes. I just think the prices need to come down to get better adoption rates.
I don't know where to begin with e-bikes. I wish there was a place to go to test them out locally to see if they're for me. I worry how they "ride" and how heavy the bike might be
cost too much
(05-10-2022, 01:14 PM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hello, bike riders!
Some love them but some hate them Big Grin What are your general thoughts about electric bikes? Be frank and don't be afraid to share your honest opinion.

Well I think those who criticize Ebikes are comparing them to a road bike or mountain bike. Ebikes are completely different animal. Great commuter Bike and perfect for riders of different levels to ride together. Some people need assistance just to participate.
Heart 
Would really love to give it a great big whirl! My husband has been wanting one so bad! Hoping to get one for him soon!
I feel that ebikes are one of the best ways to travel and go around to explore different areas. If I could I would love to ride and travel non stop!
I love a good eBike! They're great for cycling and commuting throughout the city, from work, doing a little quick shopping, or just a get-up and go type of day.
And the best thing is that there are all types of bikes for all kinds of people, so anybody can ride one.
I can’t wait to get one. Prices are too high for gas and here in Houston, the city is made for ebikes.
Quote: "Aren't they too heavy? Aren't they great for urban use?"

I live on third story, and would love to own a ribble 24, or 26 pound eBike. Unfortunately my pocketbook could only afford an $1,100 Stealth Urban Electric Bike KBO Hurricane, that has been modded to lose weight, making it easier to carry up and down a narrow stairwell. The box arrived, and after assembling the bicycle discovered its weight was 37.7 pounds; took a effort to carry up and down the stairwell without marking the walls with the tires. After changing out the alloy fork, and handlebars for carbon fiber, and a lightweight front tire & wheel, along with a used Thomson elite seatpost and lighter saddle it was much easier to negotiate up and down the stairwell.

The Hurricane bicycle with the larger battery and mechanical disc brakes is now similar in weight to the Ride1UP Roadster V2. The wheelbase of the KBO Hurricane is longer than the nimble Ride1UP Roadster V2 they are just different style bicycles. Both are cadence dependent on power assist, start to climb a hill and your cadence slows, and the controler send message you want less power, not very helpful when need more assistance to climb a steep short incline/hill. They both provide powerful assistance on smooth level pavement, making both of these bicycles outstanding commute units if you can avoid inclines and hills on the way to work and the return trip home. Use them on eco power level, and the mileage/range will surprise you.

I can't imagine trying to carry a 40 pound bicycle up and down my stairwell, imposible daily endeavor/task. The picture of the fat tire starting this thread appears to be a 75 pound mountain bike that would be a fun weekend toy to play in mud, and untamed fields, but not much of a daily commuter. You would need good ground floor secure storage at your residence and work place for a heavy bicycle as eBikes seem to be the increasing prime targets for quick and profitable thefts.

When battery development improves and provides twice the power in smaller packages, and carbon fiber frame eBikes are more common maybe there will be lighter weight eBike for people like me that will never be able to afford $3,000-$15,000 eBikes...
Heart 
Would Love to own one
I think electric bikes are great!
Big Grin 
I have had an ebike for about a year and I love it. The model we have folds and we take it with us when we travel in our motorhome. It is great to ride around the RV parks and surrounding trails. I find myself using it without the pedal assist to get in some exercise also but it sure is nice when I'm getting tired to have that little extra to get me back home. A while after we got our first ebike we got another one for my better half - we have a lot of fun on them.
In my late 60's and would live to have one.
Too heavy!
E-bikes are the future, and the future is now! The speed and range available is incredible!
I am likely to buy one when they are less expensive.

I am concerned about the cost of repairs if something breaks, and the availability of parts.

I am concerned about water causing damage, when riding in wet weather.

I am tall, and like to be comfortable. So I raise the handlebars on many of my bikes. With a regular bike, it may be necessary to replace brake and gear cables. With an electric bike, it may not be realistic to extend the electrical wiring which goes to the handlebars. I would look for a bike with high handlebars, but most are too low for me.

They cost too much and too bulky.
It is very useful if you live in a city.

A little scary but willing to learn how to ride one!