Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

What are your thoughts on E-bikes?
I love that e-bikes are becoming more popular and that there are more types of e-bikes available for the many different purposes one might be using them for - and the size/weight of the person. I've not used an e-bike yet, but I'm really looking forward to someday. Personally, I love the exercise that I get using a regular bicycle. But, there are many days when I'm commuting by bicycle where I'm feeling under the weather or have a knee or foot injury and I feel I could use a break or a little help. I would love to have an e-bike for days like that.
Love the swift development of these bikes. Looking forward to owning one and enjoy the mountains where I live.
I love them. You can get exercise and have a mode of transportation when tired.
Thumbs Up 
Love the idea of E-Bikes! For me, an E-Bike means being able to cover more ground, go longer distances, explore further. I also used to be able to ride my bike uphill and now it is becoming increasingly more difficult. I still want to go to fun places with my family and not feel limited in my options. An E-Bike would be wonderful!!
An ebike would be fun but it's still a bike and not practical transportation where I live.
I love them! Great for people that don't have the stamina to enjoy bike riding.
Absolutely love ‘em.! Woohoo!
too expensive for a disabled vet on social security
They look like fun, but they're not practical for transportation where I live and they cost too much just for fun
I want one, but there's a lot of other stuff that I need more.
I'll wait for the price to come down.
I've always wanted one. They look like a lot of fun. Now it's essential that I get one. Unfortunately I can't get a good one. I'm a full time volunteer so don't have an income. I'm praying I'll win the perfect one that I can ride on the trail to go check on my Dad and run errands. It'll be so beautiful to be able to ride and enjoy nature and the breeze!! And with the right bike, I can even enjoy it up to when the snow falls. Yippee! I'm hopeful 😊
In the past, I owned a regular mountain bike that we used to take on trails, but In 2020, I was struck by a delbilitating illness. I had to leave my job as a nurse and go on disability. I was practically bedridden. Through diet changes, meds, and therapy, I began to recover, so my husband bought me an e-bike for Christmas. When I first started riding it, I could hardly bike a mile on full assist, but it felt so good to do things like I did before I was ill. Now, I ride about 10 miles a day, depending, and I only use the battery on steep hills, as we live in the mountains. It is exhilarating. If I can, I ride my bike.
E-bikes are an amazing tool to get back to life.
Ebikes are great! Got my addmotor E-53 for about a year, it has changed my life style and helped me save a lot on gas, insurance. Now I do a 9 miles work commute with my ebike everyday, ready to buy another one for my wife.
My sister has one and I think they're great! I'd love to join her on a ride through one of the local parks. It's a great way to get some fresh air, enjoy being outdoors and get some assistance on those hills that are extra challenging. I know I'd love it!
As I can no longer drive (stroke) I find it a great way to get around.
I am generally in favor of them. Some are ridiculously heavy since they no longer need to consider weight, but most would be great for commuting. The price point is also a problem, so unless I am gifted or win one I am extremely to be using one in the foreseeable future.
(05-10-2022, 01:14 PM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hello, bike riders!
Some love them but some hate them Big Grin What are your general thoughts about electric bikes? Be frank and don't be afraid to share your honest opinion.

Aren't they too heavy? Aren't they great for urban use?
Join the discussion and share your thoughts!

I like the concept, especially for people just getting back into riding. It removes the fear of riding too far or not having enough energy to get back.
We have recently gotten two ebikes and are really enjoying them - we ride on local bike trails and neighborhood streets. Have yet to take an extended ride but are looking for places to go.
Overall, e-bikes are a nice addition - especially for commuting/errands and for those who otherwise may not get to enjoy the outdoors. The lack of sound (how about adding a mild sound option so we can hear them coming), the unpredictability of new and inexperienced riders, and the speed of some (danger to others and themselves) are all issues I've noticed when sharing the trail or street with them.