Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

What are your thoughts on E-bikes?
I used to ride a lot in my teens and early twenties. Now that I'm approaching 40, many pounds heavier then my riding days from over a decade ago, I feel like an ebike would be the perfect tool to get me back in the game.
I really like the idea of E-bikes. The only thing I'm concerned about is the fact that it seems to take away the "exercise" of riding a bike.
I love them. Easy way to get around.
I love electric mountain bikes, it's a lot more fun riding in terrain when you have some power when you need it (for hills etc).
Ithink they might be what I need, but I need to try one out sometime. Do they come in 3-wheelers?
E bikes are the only way to go. We have wonderful bike trails and can go miles on them on an e bike
price still too high to justify
It is the future, people using them for fun, for there job, going to and from, giving older people the chance to ride again with the family and for competition.
I have been considering an ebike for some time. My biggest reason for delaying the purchase is the lack of reasonably safe infrastructure for riding day to day. IMO, If you want a "green" revolution you need to develop infrastructure that allows for everyday use of things like ebikes.
Like them, hope to buy one someday.
Theyre fantastic! Both for enjoyment and for transportation- I was without a vehicle for a long time in a very rural town,and the ebike I had was the biggest help! I can't say enough about them!
I think e-bikes look pretty cool. I'd love to try one out.
Would Love to have one! Convenient and eco friendly. Could be cheaper.
E-bikes got me back into cycling and riding. I live in a really hilly area, with some daunting hills at steep inclines.
Not a ton of places near me carry ebikes, and I wasn’t going all in on a 3k bike, so I took the blind plunge on a Velowave Ranger 750cc model. So glad I did.
It is heavy at 75 pounds. But I can’t tell that when I’m riding. It is a fat tire bike, so the Weight distribution is incredible-it feels like you are gliding. I thought the weight of the bike would make it hard to pedal, but that isn’t the case due to the balance of the bike. Weight is Not really a factor that makes an impact for me.

The ebike’s feature that I can’t describe is how fun it is to ride. The bike brought me joy. I love riding it so much that I decided to ride it to work, not something I was planning on doing, but I’m glad I did. The ebike eliminated the hill problem. The motor being there is great for peace of mind-if I push it too much, I have a backup to get me home. If I have to cross highways, it’s great to get through them quickly.

Great exercise, great riding experience, eliminates the terrain concerns, and backup if you need it vs the downsides of cost (although with gas prices, I’m saving $5 every two days , so only 400 more commutes until this thing pays for itselfSmile, weight, theft concerns. Bottom line-I would be back in love with biking if not for ebikes.

Happy trails!
The price is the biggest concern for me. If we take price out of the equation I'd love to own an e-bike. And e-bikes aren't necessarily always heavy. There are lightweight models too.
(05-10-2022, 01:14 PM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hello, bike riders!
Some love them but some hate them Big Grin What are your general thoughts about electric bikes? Be frank and don't be afraid to share your honest opinion.

Aren't they too heavy? Aren't they great for urban use?
Join the discussion and share your thoughts!

Ebiek would be the trend as it's more convenient for the city when going to the office than heavy traffic.
Focused on eBike LCD Display & Speed Sensor scope.
I would love a good e-MTB for playing but I badly need the exercise a regular bicycle gives me.

I've talked to a lot of e-bike owners and they love them. Older riders love being able to take the strain out of riding uphill or into the wind. Some also told me that in the past, they would have to drive to a riding destination, then cycle, then pack up again and drive home. Now, thanks to the assistance of the motor, they happily cycle 20 miles or more to, through, and home from their favourite cycling areas.

Another guy I talked to used to ride motocross but due to his age and failing knees, he has retired to fun-filled days on his huge, fat-tire e-bike.
(05-10-2022, 01:14 PM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hello, bike riders!
Some love them but some hate them Big Grin What are your general thoughts about electric bikes? Be frank and don't be afraid to share your honest opinion.

Aren't they too heavy? Aren't they great for urban use?
Join the discussion and share your thoughts!

For the longest time I was against e-bikes saying I will use them when I no longer can ride a manual. But over the years I have come around and see their role in the (bicycle) society. I was pleasantly surprised to see e-mountain bikes high up in the mountains of Colombia and Ecuador. A couple of reasons I am still uncomfortable with e-bikes is that they will weigh like a boulder in case of a mechanical issue and one still cannot ship bikes as checked luggage..:-( I brought my fat bike with me to South America as a checked-in luggage and both to/from, they confirmed that the bike box didn't carry a e-bike. But, now I am ready to say, "Keep pedaling (+/- assistance)"...:-)
I love them! and I also love your standard bike. Like any new tech, they bring some amazing benefits and some big drawbacks. TBH I can't decide what I like more..... can I have both?!

E-PRO
- Nothing like power, especially a well-integrated mid-drive unit. A Well designed E-MTB makes you forget its powered, you just think your superhuman
- Still get a great workout, you just go 3X as far for 3X as long
- able to go on long trail rides every day even when working, going to the Gym etc, it's an endurance booster.
- No need to shuttle (for MTB)
- you can go FAST
- no sweat commutes

E-CON
- more bits to break, controllers and motors can spell the end of a unit.
- Some bikes with big frames, hub motors, and big tires don't really feel like bikes, more like a moped or dirtbike hybrid
- some motors are loud, and take away from that naturally quiet ride
- Some people do not want to go 28MPH!
- Generally Expensive
- Friggin heavy to get on the old bike rack

What I still love most about my "regular" bike:
- Thin tires rock for rolling resistance and maneuverability
- nothing beats besting a climb with your own pedal power, the satisfaction is sweet
- Light-weight
- The quiet when it's just you and the bike out on the trail

But man, when you hop on the old acoustic after going electric for a while..... you miss the motor!
Enjoy the Ride!
Scott
(05-11-2022, 01:00 AM)Michael Perkins Wrote:  cost too much

worth it

An ebike, short for electric bike, is a bicycle that is equipped with an electric motor that provides pedal assistance. This allows riders to travel farther and tackle hills with less effort. Ebikes are becoming increasingly popular as a more sustainable and efficient mode of transportation, while still providing the benefits of exercise and fresh air.