Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

bottom bracket type
Hey i have this old road bike im repairing but the bottom bracket broke and i dont know what fits. So please help me most bike shops around my area are ****** xD.        

also here is a gdrive link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1--jnL_bToLt7sCxmr0X6QlUbQnlRyzyc/view?usp=sharing
P.S. its 3.24cm not mm
That looks like a BB30/PF30.

For your specific application, I would suggest a PF30. The PF stands for Press Fit, and is a set of cup bearings that squeeze in flush from the sides, matching a BB circumference of about 30mm.

A BB30 specifically, has slots where the bearings and holder go into. I don't see those present here, so avoid a BB that's bb30.

You should still be able to use a crankset that's BB30.
(10-31-2021, 10:43 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  That looks like a BB30/PF30.

For your specific application, I would suggest a PF30. The PF stands for Press Fit, and is a set of cup bearings that squeeze in flush from the sides, matching a BB circumference of about 30mm.

A BB30 specifically, has slots where the bearings and holder go into. I don't see those present here, so avoid a BB that's bb30.

You should still be able to use a crankset that's BB30.

thanks a lot. I will check it out hopefully it fits
Is it me or does it look as though the micrometer is not setting right for an accurate measurement? I always have mine perpendicular to the tube/orifice. Just curious. It may just be the style used and how it is able to properly contact the surfaces. Also, the opposite side of the shell in the first picture looks to have been beat on a bit.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(11-02-2021, 02:31 AM)Jesper Wrote:  Is it me or does it look as though the micrometer is not setting right for an accurate measurement? I always have mine perpendicular to the tube/orifice. Just curious. It may just be the style used and how it is able to properly contact the surfaces. Also, the opposite side of the shell in the first picture looks to have been beat on a bit.
The measurement is okay i checked again and its correct (hopefully 0_0). Yeah the dude that removed the bottom bracked chipped it , i live in chania Greece and every bike shop ive been to is pretty ***. Will that little chip be a problem tho?
(11-02-2021, 07:50 AM)wassgooood Wrote:  
(11-02-2021, 02:31 AM)Jesper Wrote:  Is it me or does it look as though the micrometer is not setting right for an accurate measurement? I always have mine perpendicular to the tube/orifice. Just curious. It may just be the style used and how it is able to properly contact the surfaces. Also, the opposite side of the shell in the first picture looks to have been beat on a bit.
The measurement is okay i checked again and its correct (hopefully 0_0). Yeah the dude that removed the bottom bracked chipped it , i live in chania Greece and every bike shop ive been to is pretty ***. Will that little chip be a problem tho?

I would not think that the damage is sufficient enough to affect the seating/alignment of the of the cup unless there is an internal burr (carefully file down or sand flush with the interior shell surface) that affects the installation when pressing in the new part. Make sure the face of the shell is not extended (can be 'refaced' or carefully filed down) in those areas of damage since that will affect the seating/alignment of the new part.
Sorry to hear about the ineptitude of your shop. If I had caused that damage I would not have charged you for my work, and probably pay you something for causing that damage in the first place. Your shell does not look to be rusted to a point where using the proper methods and tools would not have removed the part successfully without resorting to extreme measures that might cause damage to your bike. The shop should have the correct tools to extract the old parts without causing that type of damage since that style of BB is fairly common.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...