Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

What was your first bicycle?
(10-10-2021, 11:52 PM)Rachel Mertz Wrote:  I remember I got my first 10 speed bicycle for my 13th birthday. I would never be able to tell you the name brand as that was something I never paid any attention to as a kid. It was $63 - the same price as Super Mario 3, which I also had purchased that year after saving up all of my babysitting money. I had no idea that bicycles could cost so much money - so I vowed I would take good care of it and always use my kickstand. All of the other cool kids in the neighborhood already had one, while I was still riding my banana seat bicycle. So this was my ticket to finally be cool as well. It was black with hot pink drop handlebars. There was rarely a day I was not on my bicycle. All four of my grandparents lived within a mile or 2 of me. Previously, I had always walked to their home - but with my new 10 speed bicycle I was there in minutes. I was such a hotshot. I can't find any photos of me on my 10-speed, however this was my trusty banana seat bicycle I traded in when I got my 10-speed.

How cute pictureSmile
No photo, but mine was a Ruption BMX from back in 1995 - 98. Blue black and white. Loved that bike. Heavy, but great in the mud!
(10-06-2021, 11:37 PM)kingmiked824 Wrote:  My first new bike was a huffy. i got it for x-mas an i remember having to wait to ride it and at the time i thought it was a waste, but once i got on it i never got rid of it. it will be my sons soon when he learns to ride

The first one that I remember was a Huffy, although I'm sure I was on some when I was a bit younger that I don't remember the brand. I later got a Mongoose but I really enjoyed the first one the most!
I don't actually remember much but I used to bring my bike inside the living room because I thought it could somehow feel cold (IK but we've all been dumb as kids)
My first bicycle was a red bike that my parents got me for my 10th birthday. It was a "girl's bike," which meant it had a basket on the front and pink handlebars, but I didn't care—I loved it! I rode that bike all over the neighborhood, until one day it got stolen from our garage.

I still remember how crushed I felt when my mom told me what happened. I had to wait a whole year before they could afford to buy me another bike (I think they actually used money they'd saved up for my sister's college tuition). But when Christmas came around, there it was—a shiny new black Schwinn with white tires and white handlebar tape. I named her "Black Beauty."
I think had just Walmart hardtail my parents got me for Christmas or something, I don't remember the brand but I remember by the time I got a new one the forks were bent and it had some miles on it
I bought my first bicycle from Hygge Bikes. It's great that i was able to make the most of my work place by purchasing from them.
The first bike I remember having must have been when I was around 10 years old and living in San Diego, California.

It was Raleigh Rampar BMX a lot like this one:

More pix here at bmxmuseum.com.

My brother had one just like it. Oh, how we terrorised the local canyons, LOL.
While growing-up in India, I had an old "Royal Enfield" that was made in England. This was a tanker and made to last. It belonged to my grandfather and am sure is still being used somewhere in rural parts of Southern India..
(10-21-2021, 09:04 PM)Al Perris Wrote:  My first was a Huffy Fire Chief in red of course.

I love this photo!

(02-03-2023, 07:50 PM)GirishH Wrote:  While growing-up in India, I had an old "Royal Enfield" that was made in England. This was a tanker and made to last. It belonged to my grandfather and am sure is still being used somewhere in rural parts of Southern India..

I bet that thing was a beast. Did it have any of the hand-painted pinstriping for which the Royal Enfield motorbikes are so famous now?
Oh, it was a simple one-speed bike that I rode into the dirt when I was 10 or so. It was pretty recent that I really got into cycling again, I got a surprisingly decent $100 mountain bike from Wal-Mart but I just about destroyed it hitting 50 miles up and downhill every week for months. I just arrived in Vlore, Albania, and I'm super excited to get a new bike soon since the sidewalks are wide and it's a flat, coastal area. Cycling heaven, really.
Well, I definitely remember a tricycle in the early days, followed by a two-wheeler that had training wheels on. Then, around eight years old, I think, I had some sort of a chopper-style bike. Two handlebars that did not attach to the stem in a conventional way but rather alongside it and then bolted around the front hub. Banana seat, sissy bar, five-speed center mount gear shifter. The first real "racer" when I got into touring and triathlons was a Specialized "Sirrus." Added some aero bars, and I was set. I think it cost me $1300 in the '80s from Brand's bike shop on Long Island.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQl7NSSQf29yATshdqsspU87CCZeGpwOvW92JHYElcQRqQNhwHY
My first bike was a Trinx Mountain Bike that I got for 8,000php(roughly 160usd) after a year riding it decided to upgrade it to Deore M6000 2x10 Groupset and an Epixon Air Fork. Also had my first trail accident while riding this so along with this bike came my first titanium upgrade, titanium implants for my left fore arm 🤣

Attached Files Image(s)

(10-06-2021, 10:51 AM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hello, bike riders!
In October, let's look back at some good old biking memories.

What is the story of your first bicycle? If you have a photo of it, feel free to share!
velotric
My parents bought me my very first bike when I was 10 years old. From that moment on, my love for bicycles began, and now I’m already a dad and I also teach my children to outdoor activities Smile
A raleigh bike, red!
Hi guys, I' m from Italy 😎😘
MY FIRST BIKE WAS A SCHWIN BIKE.
My first bike was a 1964 Mattel Varoom stingray with a toy motor that made a fake motor noise. I was 8 years old, I remember feeling like I was a bit too old for the bike, my parents were always behind the age curve for gifts to my brother and me. I was so embarrassed by the bike I removed the motor because it was childish and the neighborhood kids were laughing. My parents didn't want either my brother or me to learn how to ride a bike till we became 8 years old! We had strange parents.
Wag more, bark less
Sears Free Spirit - gold with blue decals. Wish I still had it for a nostalgic tie to long ago.