Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Looking for reliable bikes for gf and me. Trek 830, Schwinn Discover, Raleigh M30?
Looking for bikes to buy for my gf and me. Doesnt need to be the same models. We’re both on the shorter side, 5’ 3” - 5’ 4”. Mainly for city riding with occasional dirt and/or paved trails. Been searching and found a few in the $200ish range.

TREK 830 - $200 - looks like good condition, owner says no issues and needs no replacement parts. Another user on Reddit said to hard pass this but open to more opinions. Link to pics here: https://imgur.com/a/qGlaS76

2x Schwinn Discover - $600 total - like new condition, but looks to be budget quality. https://imgur.com/a/4EuPXZs

Raleigh M30 - $200 - Assuming this might be too big for us since it’s medium frame. Shows the most wear of these options but still doesnt look beat. https://imgur.com/a/NvYMZyK

Im open to opinions and recommendations on what i should be paying or where i can spend my money better elsewhere. Any tips are appreciated.
I'd go with Trek. It's a quality brand and this particular model is decent. I'm not a big supporter of those grip shifters though. I'm also not sure about the need for a suspension fork when you will do mostly paved city rides. Have you received other suggestions during these hours?
Autobahn
(07-01-2021, 05:34 PM)G_M Wrote:  I'd go with Trek. It's a quality brand and this particular model is decent. I'm not a big supporter of those grip shifters though. I'm also not sure about the need for a suspension fork when you will do mostly paved city rides. Have you received other suggestions during these hours?
Even at the $200 price point? Is that steep, or just about what you’d expect for the condition it’s in? No other replies thus far unfortunately.
Let these bikes pass but now looking at a 96-98’ Specialized Rockhopper Comp for $140. Any input please?

“Mountain bike, Apparently size small. I am 5'4in tall
Specialized Rock Hopper Comp
Shimano Decore XT
FSA chain rings
Direct Drive Enhanced Aluminum”

https://imgur.com/a/ICGM2sv
(07-19-2021, 07:16 PM)sd408 Wrote:  Let these bikes pass but now looking at a 96-98’ Specialized Rockhopper Comp for $140. Any input please?

“Mountain bike, Apparently size small. I am 5'4in tall
Specialized Rock Hopper Comp
Shimano Decore XT
FSA chain rings
Direct Drive Enhanced Aluminum”

https://imgur.com/a/ICGM2sv

You really need to know what size fits you so you can better determine if a bike is worth looking at, whether images or in person. If you don't know much about sizing then I would go to a bike shop and have them fit you to a frame; many shops will do it for free, some for a small charge depending on what methods are used. You can go online and find different 'fit calculators' where you input your measurements and out pops the size frame you need. I recommend test riding some bikes first just to see if a certain size (and bike/frame style) feels comfortable to you before throwing down any money. Of course, saddle/saddle positioning, crank length, bar type/size, and stem length/height; all of which can be changed, can certainly affect your riding comfort above and beyond the frame size.

G_M makes a great point about the fork suspension; I would personally avoid it (extra cost, extra weight, and extra problems) if you are not doing some serious recreational off-road cycling; even then a lot of dirt/gravel trails are rideable with a road bike (slightly wider tires, I do it all the time).

I really can't make recommendations on those bikes listed since I have never rode them or similar models; I ride old steel road bikes, and my MTB is a rigid frame from the mid '80s so no comparisons there. Trek is a venerable brand as is Specialized; hard to go wrong, but even those brands put out economy models that I would defer on mostly due to cheaper componentry and not the frame quality.

At $200-$300 you should be able to find a great used bike (of any style) with fairly low mileage and not too beat up. I regularly see bikes that easily could be sold for another $100 or more on Craigslist and other sights. I have bought high end bikes that barely look ridden for 1/2 of their value so be patient if you can. Something always turns up; but you need to check regularly, the good deals go fast. Stay away from ebay if at all possible except to compare asking prices since it will be one of the more expensive options, and often overpriced at the start due to the increasing fees that ebay charges the sellers (getting close to 15%); and the fact that sellers need to make up that difference so you essentially end up paying the ebay fees for the seller. Also, Craiglist and similar sites have sellers who are more open to offers than elsewhere. I usually start at about 75% of a sellers asking price depending on many variables; and have found that I end up at around 15-20% off on average (just bought a frame and parts for $120; seller asking $150 = 20% off).

Good Luck!
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...