Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take part in the April Giveaway for an Electric Bicycle Roadster V2 from Ride1UP

Looking for bikes on Craigslist
I had to repost this Big Grin

With everybody looking for bikes, I thought it would be helpful to make a list of common Craigslist bike terms.

• "Custom" - I put on an upright stem and padded gel saddle from Walmart
  • "Hand Built" - I assembled this mail-order bike using only a mallet and hacksaw
  • "Totally restored" – An entry level 70s road bike, I sprayed WD-40 on the chain and wrapped the handlebars (poorly).
  • "Just Needs a Tune-up" - Chain is rusted solid, cable housings remind you that you need a tetanus booster, the bar tape is a biohazard and the wheels are less true than a politician’s campaign promises.
  • "Fixie, very fast" - 70s road frame with a steel front wheel, front brake (with only 1 brake pad), original cranks running 52/12 gearing, and a gooey mess of stickers from every brewery in town.
  • "Nice, custom vintage fixie" - A decent 80’s road frame, where I cut of the derailleur hanger with a hacksaw and pulled off the cable guides with vice-grips. Also covered in stickers from every brewery in town.
  • "Tour de France Race Bike" - An entry level Bianchi with 27” wheels and Shimano stem shifters.
  • "Just needs air in the tires" - Sidewalls are completely blown out. These tires will hold air about as well as your grandpa can hold in a fart.
  • "Lots of upgrades" - A Walmart saddle bag, broken front light with dead AA batteries and a front basket held on by zip ties.
  • "Great for trails" - a 90s mountain bike with a front suspension that travels less than you during the Covid lockdown.
  • "Great Commuter" - Shitty hybrid
  • "Great all-weather bike" - Shitty hybrid with disc brakes
  • "Very fast road bike" - I put aero bars on an entry level Trek and promptly crashed it into a ditch. It spent the last 5 years in the garage under a pile of crap that I swear I’m going to take to Goodwill one day.
  • "Super fast road bike" - Same as above, but with a Specialized
  • "Very collectible" - Schwinn Varsity
  • "Antique" - Schwinn Varsity
  • "Very valuable when restored" - A Schwinn Varsity that has been yard art for the last 30 years.
"Carbon is faster"
I never knew craigslist was like that any other place but my town. Good job! lol
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I like it!
Here are some other favorites: "Serviced, and ready to roll!": roll it to the nearest shop for repairs, "Barely Used": barely used by the present owner, and "Made in Japan by an Italian Company": Italian "name", but a 70s bike that was actually Japanese built (usually low-end), marketed by a USA, Canadian, or go figure, a Japanese company.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-24-2014, 11:17 PM
Last Post: tourgee07

03-05-2014, 05:16 PM