Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Looking for bikes on Craigslist
I had to repost this Big Grin

With everybody looking for bikes, I thought it would be helpful to make a list of common Craigslist bike terms.

• "Custom" - I put on an upright stem and padded gel saddle from Walmart
  • "Hand Built" - I assembled this mail-order bike using only a mallet and hacksaw
  • "Totally restored" – An entry level 70s road bike, I sprayed WD-40 on the chain and wrapped the handlebars (poorly).
  • "Just Needs a Tune-up" - Chain is rusted solid, cable housings remind you that you need a tetanus booster, the bar tape is a biohazard and the wheels are less true than a politician’s campaign promises.
  • "Fixie, very fast" - 70s road frame with a steel front wheel, front brake (with only 1 brake pad), original cranks running 52/12 gearing, and a gooey mess of stickers from every brewery in town.
  • "Nice, custom vintage fixie" - A decent 80’s road frame, where I cut of the derailleur hanger with a hacksaw and pulled off the cable guides with vice-grips. Also covered in stickers from every brewery in town.
  • "Tour de France Race Bike" - An entry level Bianchi with 27” wheels and Shimano stem shifters.
  • "Just needs air in the tires" - Sidewalls are completely blown out. These tires will hold air about as well as your grandpa can hold in a fart.
  • "Lots of upgrades" - A Walmart saddle bag, broken front light with dead AA batteries and a front basket held on by zip ties.
  • "Great for trails" - a 90s mountain bike with a front suspension that travels less than you during the Covid lockdown.
  • "Great Commuter" - Shitty hybrid
  • "Great all-weather bike" - Shitty hybrid with disc brakes
  • "Very fast road bike" - I put aero bars on an entry level Trek and promptly crashed it into a ditch. It spent the last 5 years in the garage under a pile of crap that I swear I’m going to take to Goodwill one day.
  • "Super fast road bike" - Same as above, but with a Specialized
  • "Very collectible" - Schwinn Varsity
  • "Antique" - Schwinn Varsity
  • "Very valuable when restored" - A Schwinn Varsity that has been yard art for the last 30 years.
"Carbon is faster"
I never knew craigslist was like that any other place but my town. Good job! lol
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I like it!
Here are some other favorites: "Serviced, and ready to roll!": roll it to the nearest shop for repairs, "Barely Used": barely used by the present owner, and "Made in Japan by an Italian Company": Italian "name", but a 70s bike that was actually Japanese built (usually low-end), marketed by a USA, Canadian, or go figure, a Japanese company.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(08-15-2021, 11:15 PM)Rizzkhn Wrote:  An older Raleigh bike that I found looked worse than the OP's. Describe Raleigh in a few words. From Reddit posts, it appears that vintage Raleigh bikes would not be a wise investment. However, it was hefty and in bad shape. I'm looking for a lightweight one that I can invest in.

Overall, Raleigh made really sound and durable bikes as can be witnessed by how many are still out there. They made great high end bikes and lower end (but of good quality) bikes. If you are looking for a fairly inexpensive vintage medium to lightweight racer/tourer from the early 70s to late 80s you should have no problem finding a decent ride in good running condition (maybe needs new tires, bar wrap, cables/housings). I have more Raleigh bikes in my stable than any other marque (circa 1940 through 1985); and that is saying something given my penchant for Italian racers (at least 1/2 a dozen Colnagos). Getting into the 90s I am not really familiar with their product nor where they were made. Carlton made Raleighs (Worksop) and SBDU bikes are supreme machines. My '72 Raleigh Professional is a keeper that keeps on giving; purchased from a friend who regrets it everyday. I have a mid-range Raleigh Gran Sport ('79/'80) which was another's 'throwaway' bike gotten for nothing; and recently picked up mid '80s Raleigh Marathon (I think) for $30 (albeit some surface rust) with nice mid-range Sun Tour parts and is fully panto'd: fork, stay caps, and components; just got a nice set of crank caps to finish the look. I really don't think you can go wrong if the price is right and the condition is good. They made so many models each year that you can pretty much find the exact type of frame and parts quality you are looking for. One of my favorite bikes is a '70 Sports roadster; not a lightweight by any means (steel frame and components @ 50lbs), but durable, reliable, and versatile (not to mention a blast to ride, and still a head turner in all of it's black and chrome glory!).
$100-$200 should get you a nice ride, but the better ones are going in excess of $400-$500. My '72 Professional Mk IV was a steal at $250 with the original full Campy Nuovo Record gruppo. That frame would easily go for $300 plus without any parts, and it is a repaint without decals or any identifying marks.

Rock On Raleigh!
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-24-2014, 11:17 PM
Last Post: tourgee07