Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Looking to get my first proper bike, I'm lost.
Hey all,

I'm new to cycling and I want to upgrade my very heavy, unfun to ride, city bike, because I want to get into cycling some more!
I plan to ride mostly on asphalt, but also the occasional forest road/light gravel road.

So optimally I'd like a Triban GRVL 120 which would be kinda my budget limit with 630€.
Since that bike doesn't seem to be available anywhere and other gravel bikes are way too expensive for my budget, I started looking at road bikes instead.

Then there's the Triban RC 100 which is actually available for shipping, but I worry about the quality of the bike, and the gear shifter being in the middle seems very awkward to use?

I was told I'd get way better deals looking at used bikes, but that is proving to be quite difficult as I do not have a lot of knowledge about bikes.

On ebay I found this bike listed as "Aluminium Ultegra Road Bike" for 500€. It's 56cm so I think it would fit me, I can also test ride it. Thoughts on this? How is the quality, condition, etc.? How much would you pay for this?

Pretty much I'm just very overwhelmed and not sure what bike I should be getting.
Any input is greatly appreciated Big Grin
(06-15-2021, 04:59 AM)Nyrux Wrote:  Hey all,

I'm new to cycling and I want to upgrade my very heavy, unfun to ride, city bike, because I want to get into cycling some more!
I plan to ride mostly on asphalt, but also the occasional forest road/light gravel road.

So optimally I'd like a Triban GRVL 120 which would be kinda my budget limit with 630€.
Since that bike doesn't seem to be available anywhere and other gravel bikes are way too expensive for my budget, I started looking at road bikes instead.

Then there's the Triban RC 100 which is actually available for shipping, but I worry about the quality of the bike, and the gear shifter being in the middle seems very awkward to use?

I was told I'd get way better deals looking at used bikes, but that is proving to be quite difficult as I do not have a lot of knowledge about bikes.

On ebay I found this bike listed as "Aluminium Ultegra Road Bike" for 500€. It's 56cm so I think it would fit me, I can also test ride it. Thoughts on this? How is the quality, condition, etc.? How much would you pay for this?

Pretty much I'm just very overwhelmed and not sure what bike I should be getting.
Any input is greatly appreciated Big Grin

Get yourself fit to a bike for proper sizing first (professionally preferred; might be free or a small charge). The new bike production should be catching up to demand, but for all those new bike buyers over the past couple years, there will be plenty of decent "new" used bikes available. It is best to be able to test ride, but if you know your proper frame size it makes it easier to buy online for new and used bikes. I recommend a road bike style hybrid that will allow you to put narrower (23-30mm) tires on it, but still be able to fit wider (35-45mm) tires for off-road or cross use. Regular road bikes probably won't allow for over 30mm tires (fine for packed dirt/gravel). You can always customize for handlebar preference and other features.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS