Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Requesting ID/worth for Bianchi
Hello everyone!

When my father passed away he left me his old Bianchi bike, and as it was too small for me it’s been collecting dust on the wall of my garage since. Recently I have been wanting to get into biking but this one is uncomfortable to ride because of its small size. I finally feel comfortable selling it as enough time has passed and I’d like to use the money to help me get a new bike I can actually use. Can anyone help me ID it or have an estimate of worth? Thank you!

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-11-2021, 11:34 PM)IanJM Wrote:  Hello everyone!

When my father passed away he left me his old Bianchi bike, and as it was too small for me it’s been collecting dust on the wall of my garage since. Recently I have been wanting to get into biking but this one is uncomfortable to ride because of its small size. I finally feel comfortable selling it as enough time has passed and I’d like to use the money to help me get a new bike I can actually use. Can anyone help me ID it or have an estimate of worth? Thank you!

Welcome Ian,
Sorry to hear about your Dad. He had a decent bike, but I don't know the model. I cannot make out the script of the top tube decal; it is probably the model name/number. I assume it is an aluminum frame with steel fork (check with magnet) from the late 90s to mid 00s. Seat tube and fork may have decals identifying what their material is. I would assume it to be of Asian manufacture (Taiwan or Japan); Bianchi designed, but frame not actually built by them (guessing). I would post detailed photos of all components (brakes, rims, derailleurs, etc.), decals, stamped/engraved marks, letters, and numbers. It appears to have a Shimano Dura-Ace rear mech, ITM (Italmanubri) lightweight steel stem, and Mavic Ksyrium wheels; all top notch components found on the best bikes of the their era. The Dura-Ace RD should have a date code stamped on it which, if an original part, would get you to within a year of the frame manufacture in most cases. If all the original components (from the factory) are Dura-Ace with Ksyrium wheels then I would have to assume that this was a higher end model; but if the bike was upgraded with Dura-Ace and wheels after purchase then it is tough to determine where it falls in the Bianchi line-up in regards to quality, performance, and value unless you see it in a catalog. The serial number probably can be traced to a year of manufacture if you can find a site that lists them. There should be adequate online catalog examples from that era to locate that frame. I would match frame, decal, and paint styles; as well as components shown in catalog examples. If your components are original to the bike it should not be difficult to match a model and year.
Rough value if everything is properly functioning would be about $300-$400 depending on the market. $200 would be extremely low, $500 probably max. If the frame is one of their higher end models you can probably add $100-$200. You can go online to "ebay" type sites and see what general asking prices are, keeping in mind that many are listed on the high side of the bike's value. New bar tape (cheap, $5-$20) helps if present wrap looks rough. New tires (not cheap, $50-$100 or more pre pair) and tubes help also, but start to add up when considering the money you put into it and what you will get back. At least new tubes (cheap $5-$10 for 2) are generally warranted so the bike can be immediately ridden to test it out, and after purchase use.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Unless my eyes deceive me, I think your top tube decal says "TITANIUM". That would be one of Bianchi's top frames at the time it was made. I think $500 is a better ball park figure for a bike with that frame. It would still depend on components and condition.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...