Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Pinky and Ring finger going numb weeks after cycling?
Exclamation 
Hey! Ive just started cycling just two months ago and seem to be getting numb fingers especially on my pinky and ring fingers(only left hand).

Is this a problem of just a bike fit or is this just a matter of having weak hands that cant support my body? Im 104 kgs while only 5'7. while not really athletic, ive managed to be worse due to the pandemic.

Also ive been wearing padded gloves since starting and mostly use the side handles on butterfly bars, this is where i usually feel it going numb.
I have never tried butterfly bars but I know they are rather weird geometry. The only time I have experienced my hands going numb is if I have my hands in an uncomfortable position, but I can most definitely tell that they are. Besides that, it is not that uncommon for hands to go numb if you are death gripping your handlebars. If you notice your hands starting to go numb, take the hand off, shake it around and get the blood flowing back into it, and put your hands on the bars so you are just propping your torso up, instead of holding onto the bars for dear life.
"Steel is real."
- IDK, some guy.
Anyone having this problem consider getting silicon grips, which can help with numbness thanks to their contouring nature.

This usually happens because your handle bar is too close to your body, causing your hands to have to linchpin against the bar and the rest of your body. Two other things you might want to try is increasing the stem height—and getting a longer stem—which will give your arms more space to stretch and alleviate circulatory stress in the hands.
The problem isn't always where the pain is. The nerves intervening with the ring finger and pinky finger originate at C7-T1, sometimes called C8.
So, it could be from head and neck posture and anatomical position while riding +(medical history, car accidents, age, arthritis, all factors)
Numb hands may occur from gripping very tight, for some time.

I like double handgrips, which gives them a larger diameter. These may reduce numbness.

https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-8404.html

Also try silicon grips, from brands like ESI, Odi, Specialized, or even Black Ops.

Just make sure you watch a video on how to install them because they're tricky.
(08-24-2023, 04:51 PM)ichitan Wrote:  Numb hands may occur from gripping very tight, for some time.

I like double handgrips, which gives them a larger diameter. These may reduce numbness.

https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-8404.html

Aha! Finally saw it, ive always wondered how this would look when you posted your reply on the other thread, thanks for sharing this and yes I agree, I think this could be a good solution to numbing fingers
(11-15-2020, 11:59 PM)Carlo Reyes Wrote:  Hey! Ive just started cycling just two months ago and seem to be getting numb fingers especially on my pinky and ring fingers(only left hand).

Is this a problem of just a bike fit or is this just a matter of having weak hands that cant support my body? Im 104 kgs while only 5'7. while not really athletic, ive managed to be worse due to the pandemic.

Also ive been wearing padded gloves since starting and mostly use the side handles on butterfly bars, this is where i usually feel it going numb.

Bike fit is definitely the culprit but you're hand position can also be a problem. While butterfly bars can provide multiple hand positions, make sure you're not putting too much pressure on the outer edges of your hands. Shift your hand positions from time to time.
(11-15-2020, 11:59 PM)Carlo Reyes Wrote:  Hey! Ive just started cycling just two months ago and seem to be getting numb fingers especially on my pinky and ring fingers(only left hand).

Had that also. Carpal tunnel surgery fixed mine

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-24-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: ichitan

12-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Last Post: FredS

07-28-2010, 04:36 PM