Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Holes in my road tires
Ciao.
I have these tiny holes in my road bike front tire. Is it all good or something to worry about?

they look like wear indicators Time to replace the tire when they become shallow to gone
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(06-05-2020, 09:00 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  they look like wear indicators Time to replace the tire when they become shallow to gone

Oh, I did not know about tire wear indicators. This is some new bike knowledge for today, thanks!
(06-05-2020, 09:00 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  they look like wear indicators Time to replace the tire when they become shallow to gone

(06-05-2020, 06:07 PM)ManBearPig Wrote:  Oh, I did not know about tire wear indicators. This is some new bike knowledge for today, thanks!

You are spot on Painkiller! Even with decades of riding l was surprised to see these "holes" in my new tires l had purchased in the last year or so.

I guess because I ride narrow (≤23mm) high pressure tires l never had them in the tread. I was wondering when I was converting a bike for "cross" training and put 30mm tires on it what they might be (though I had an inkling), and l needed to educate myself as to that feature.

That being said, I "filled" them in with some flexible industrial epoxy/rubber cement to prevent grit, and small glass or metal shards from getting stuck in them. They're still visible even though filled in and will be serving the same purpose while avoiding the aforementioned problem, potentially avoiding a puncture on what would be a thin area of the tread given their depth. It's a quick, cheap, and easy fix that might prevent an inconvenient, time consuming, and/or expensive problem from arising.

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Agree with previous posts! I have also seen "bars" between tread pattern as wear markers on mtb style tires. When tread wears down to these bars it's time to change tire.
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
Wow, I was not aware of this! Cool fact

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post