Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

first time biker
Hi Everyone

I am new to cycling. I just suddenly had interest in biking. Now that it's summer, I figured its a great time to learn a new sport while hitting the great outdoors. I have been doing some research on what kind of bike to buy and honestly I am overwhelmed.

I will be using the bike for two main purposes. First, casually strolling through my neighbourhood on either roads/pavements, such as going to the nearest grocery store.
Secondly, it will be for hiking trails in parks and in the woods but mostly on once a day on the weekend. Nothing crazy, just biking on trails through the woods/parks.

I see mountain bike as the most recommended for trails but will it also be good casual biking on pavements/roads?

I want something that is comfortable and easy to bike.
I plan to buy a used bike. How do I know beforehand that the bike will be a good fit for me based on the seat height, width etc? Do bikes come in sizes like S,M, L?
What are some things I should be looking for?

Thank you.

I also found this old bike in my garage. Does it look any good to you? What kind of bike is this?

https://imgur.com/a/HKY66os
bumpbump
Hi.
A classic mountain bike or hybrid (read the text below) will do the work I believe. Mountain bikes can be surprisingly comfortable on road/pavement. 29" wheel bikes are faster, stable and comfortable. 26" is the classic wheel size. Yes, bicycles typically come in sizes and your height is the key guideline. There are more general size guides out on the internet (a quick google search will do it), but often you also have to double check with the size charts of the particular bike brand. What is your height if I may ask?

The bike from your photos has to be a Precision Columbium 26" comfort/mountain bike with rigid fork. Perhaps from Canada? I do not know much about this brand nor the particular model, but looking at the Shimano SIS shifters it has to be at least 10 years old. I have to see some close-up photos from the bike's drivetrain (chain, chainrings, derailleurs) to evaluate its condition, but it definitely will need some maintenance before rolling back into the streets. Has it been dormant in the garage for a few months or years? The frame looks rather small.

"What are some things I should be looking for?"
Consider having or not having a suspension. They are nice for bumpy roads, small rocks, trails, gravel. With a lockout mechanism you can turn off the suspension, but without any lockout it will not be as comfortable on the pavement as you would wish.
Autobahn

Possibly Related Threads...