Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Spin bike question
How often does a person ride their spin bike . I have been using mine every day in the morning for 35 to 45 minutes. My wife says I should take a day off once in a while. My spin bike is home not in a gym, no classes. I am 81 with a pace maker , never had a heart attack. What do you guys and gals think ? I exercised with a tri max machine for years before I changed to a spin bike for cardio Appreciate your comments, thanks

Steven
I think that is great, use it or loose it as they say. Just do not over do it at anytime, stay hydrated and nourished. remember the turtle always wins the race!. Longs times in the saddle with frequencies is enough to build endurance. Elevated heart rate instantly and for a long period will do more harm than good in your age bracket. You do not want to spark a Pulmonary Embolism. move around more than normal like standing up and sitting down while cruising along at times. this will increase the use of other muscle groups that connect to each other you would not make good use of otherwise. It is all about working the whole body as much as possible with the exercise at hand.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(05-16-2020, 05:57 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  I think that is great, use it or loose it as they say. Just do not over do it at anytime, stay hydrated and nourished. remember the turtle always wins the race!. Longs times in the saddle with frequencies is enough to build endurance. Elevated heart rate instantly and for a long period will do more harm than good in your age bracket. You do not want to spark a Pulmonary Embolism. move around more than normal like standing up and sitting down while cruising along at times. this will increase the use of other muscle groups that connect to each other you would not make good use of otherwise. It is all about working the whole body as much as possible with the exercise at hand.

Painkiller, thank you so much for advise, I do watch my heart rate and it does fluctuate, I got Good lungs, never run out of breath, I will cut Sunday out or maybe limit my time. . Thank you again.

Steve
(05-16-2020, 09:34 AM)abrahamseven Wrote:  How often does a person ride their spin bike . I have been using mine every day in the morning for 35 to 45 minutes. My wife says I should take a day off once in a while. My spin bike is home not in a gym, no classes. I am 81 with a pace maker , never had a heart attack. What do you guys and gals think ? I exercised with a tri max machine for years before I changed to a spin bike for cardio Appreciate your comments, thanks

Steven

I'm 76, have been running and cycling for over 45 years. Given my Type A personality (if a little bit is good, more is better), I have finally accepted that rest and recovery days are as important as workout days. Perhaps more important. Good for you for staying active and maintaining your health.