Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

CRESCENT PEPITA '72/'73
"Sneak peek" Found while cleaning out the "junk" room during my home sequestration. Things you forget while moving; behind boxes and other "stuff", a Crescent Pepita 1972-1973 vintage (Edit: this bike is now considered to be no newer than 1972 and it could be as early as '70 based on a 1972 Crescent's serial number). I still need to move some more stuff out of the way, but I located all the OE parts to reinstall: Ideale saddle, Campy Valentino derailleurs, Lyotard pedals (French threaded). Only parts not original are tires/tubes; added Weinmann brake lever covers, and REG shift lever and quick release lever covers in white. Needs a new Reynolds 531 frame decal. Embellished front and rear derailleurs to match frame color. Great riding bike even with the lesser component group. Also found an old bike book from '75. I would like to find a European alloy post for this (even though it won't be original) bike, 26.6mm; anyone have something?

Attached Files Image(s)

Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
It is a wrap! First bike completed during the pandemic! Using alloy post I found vice the original steel, other than that, cloth tape (OE?), and tires it's like it came from the factory. Photos to follow.
Take care,
Jesper

Sweet! Have to say, you have some good looking junk. Swedish bike with a taste of Chicago.

I was just about to ask about the seat post.
Autobahn
(04-29-2020, 06:37 PM)G_M Wrote:  Sweet! Have to say, you have some good looking junk. Swedish bike with a taste of Chicago.

I was just about to ask about the seat post.

Test ride is completed; going for the real "break-in" ride this weekend, and I hate to say it ; with a friend, but I'll be the one substantially in front for a change, he has been quarantined for a month and a half (he's retired) so needs to get some activity. Should be fun day, and will certainly make me critical of the Valentino RD set-up if it doesn't behave properly doing some real cycling with it. Swapping to Nuovo Record RD if I'm not satisfied.

Again, I hope everyone is doing well out there. Continue to avoid going out in public if possible, and if you must please wear whatever protective gear you can.. The longer we can hold to more rigid guidelines the better. There will be a resurgence regardless, but let's try to make it a small one.

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

Unfortunately, full ride test did not meet my expectations. Doing minor modifications to improve braking and shifting while keeping the original equipment intact. "New" brake cables and housings (Jagwire), and chain (SRAM); have a better/lighter set of French threaded quill pedals (Atom) if the Lyotards feel uncomfortable on a longer ride. Braking was not as responsive given excellent functioning calipers, and shifting was lacking at the rear; could have been the chain and/or the derailleur. I'll know if the Valentino can handle some real cycling after my changes in 24 hours; we'll see if a modern chain will help a basic derailleur enough to bring it "up to speed". The freewheel is an Atom 5spd; I ride an Atom 6 speed regularly and they are similarly designed so let's see if that chain makes a difference. If shifting is still marginal I'll install a Nuovo Record rear on it. Installed a Campy Record 26.8mm post (vice the steel post @ 26.95) with shim sleeve; apparently 27.0 was the actual inner tube diameter after cleaning and "straightening" the tube. Added clear plastic sleeves under all clamp-on components to protect paint; eliminated one top tube clamp in order to preserve original decals. I detailed about 60 spots on this bike, something l rarely do, but given enough time I figured why not! I will take a pic if I make more changes. Running Continental "ULTRA SPORT" 32 mm tires front and rear for general purpose use; as this is not a trainer nor race bike for me. Only accessory/add-ons R.E.G. brake and shifter lever covers, and SILCA pump w/Campy head. Patience is a virtue, in my case, also a curse!
Take care,
Jesper

Photos of completed Pepita: CAMPAGNOLO Valentino Extra shifters, and derailleurs, Tipo hubs, Record post, down tube cable guide; WEINMANN Vainqueur brakeset; NISI Moncalieri rims, STRONGLIGHT cranks, SIMPLEX rings (50/45); ATOM 5 speed freewheel; LYOTARD pedals; IDEALE #45 saddle; AVA stem; REG top tube cable guides; Shimano stay cable stop; SRAM chain. l have completed this bike for the time being, needs a clamp-on bottle cage mount, and replacement "531" decals for the frame/fork. Using a Zefal HP pump vice SILCA due to fit and color. Although original pedals are installed I plan on testing a set of French thread Atom quill pedals in the future to see if they are more comfortable. Chain change made a difference in performance. After looking at photos: I need to pull through a little more rear brake cable housing to the front, and flip a rear brake pad which is facing the wrong way (oops!).

Couple more shots

Take care,
Jesper

Very cool
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
great job! Stronglight cranks with Simplex chainrings look stunning, just stunning!
(05-25-2020, 08:08 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  Very cool

(05-25-2020, 09:14 AM)Papa Dom Wrote:  great job! Stronglight cranks with Simplex chainrings look stunning, just stunning!

Thanks folks! I put a fair amount of effort into this build. Dom, I picked this up in your neck of the woods, Burlington, a couple years ago. I intentionally did not polish anything as I wanted to keep a patina on the alloy parts, and some of my embellishments were made to appear older from wear and tear even though new. I have a complete set of quality replacement decals, but although the originals have some issues, they still looked really good after some delicate cleaning. Touched up with a little perfectly matching nail polish to prevent corrosion on some bare metal (not much needed). This is without a doubt my favorite bike considering paint color and decal design. The beer perched on the bar didn't make it through the photo shoot, it was in the 90s. I don't know if there is an aftermarket H2O bottle, but it would add something to the whole picture. Also, looking for a Swedish model to pose like in that iconic Crescent ad; heck, any model will do!

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

Nice looking bike Jesper. I'm building a Pepita "Special", same frame (Reynolds 531/Nervex lugs), but using Campagnolo Nuovo Record group parts originally on it. I believe this is from 1973 based on date codes from original rear derailleur and crank arms. Are your dropouts Campagnolo? My serial #4500711, what is your #? Powder coating paint job, not quite the "pepita orange", but still looks good.

Attached Files Image(s)

Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
(05-27-2020, 12:48 AM)Criminal Wrote:  Are your dropouts Campagnolo? My serial #4500711, what is your #?

Hi Criminal,
I need to check the number; pretty sure it starts either 41.... or 43.... Not sure if date can be determined from it, but considering yours is 45... it would seem that my frame is either an earlier year, or earlier in production during the same year as your frame. I have not located a match from available catalog examples based on the components. If your frame had Nuovo Record parts it would be the top bike they put out at the time. I have no date codes on any parts. It seems odd that Campy only dated their higher end parts; good for you, sucks for me. I'll check my actual serial and post it here. My dropouts are indeed Campy front and rear.

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

(05-27-2020, 12:48 AM)Criminal Wrote:  ?My serial #4500711, what is your #?

My serial is 4316266. Once again l don't know of the significance of their numbering system. If you know anything please let me know.

Thanks,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

@Jesper
is that an IPA on the handlebar?
(05-29-2020, 08:14 AM)baller Wrote:  @Jesper

Hey Baller,

Yeah, it's a "Voodoo Ranger" from Belgium brewery. I felt I deserved a little something after finally finishing that build; especially with the heat that day. Notice that it did not make many photos; rather quickly imbibed. Fairly strong beer, with a wee bit of spicy flavor; I really like the "juicy haze" variant, which is akin to a New England IPA. Please don't get me started on beer, an old pastime since travelling abroad. I am thoroughly enjoying the artisan/craft beer craze; but I have an English friend who has been brewing for decades, and I get to drink beer fresher than anything you can buy, even at a taproom. Enjoy it, but control it!
Take care,
Jesper

(05-29-2020, 09:35 AM)Jesper Wrote:  
(05-29-2020, 08:14 AM)baller Wrote:  @Jesper

Hey Baller,

Yeah, it's a "Voodoo Ranger" from Belgium brewery. I felt I deserved a little something after finally finishing that build; especially with the heat that day. Notice that it did not make many photos; rather quickly imbibed. Fairly strong beer, with a wee bit of spicy flavor; I really like the "juicy haze" variant, which is akin to a New England IPA. Please don't get me started on beer, an old pastime since travelling abroad. I am thoroughly enjoying the artisan/craft beer craze; but I have an English friend who has been brewing for decades, and I get to drink beer fresher than anything you can buy, even at a taproom. Enjoy it, but control it!

Sweet, well earned! It looked familiar but I couldn't zoom in. IPA is my kind of drink! We can move this conversation to off-topic hahah.
Performance update: I rode the bike on 2 days this weekend for over 25 miles combined. Everything functioned without any problem. I believe the biggest performance difference was using a modern chain, shifting was sure and positive. The only issue that somewhat irks me is the feel of the actual shifters. These shifters have no "plastic bushing/washer", only the steel "thrust" washer. I may end up using Campy Nuovo Gran Sport shifters, which have a better feel and function. They are also more aesthetically pleasing, and can be readily adjusted without carrying a tool. The NISI "knurled" rim braking track is noisy, but the bike brakes efficiently enough for general riding purposes. I generally don't brake for much anyways.
Take care,
Jesper

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am looking at finding an early bike for a project and that bike is too cool. I applaud the effort to conserve a 50 year old bike in its original state. I know it could have been improved regarding performance with some newer parts, but it makes a great day touring bike as is.

@Jesper , I am looking for a nicely lugged bike from the 60s or 70s that can be restored without breaking the bank. Any suggestions, or do you have something you might be willing to part with? I do not have much in the way of early parts (mostly 80s stuff), or money!, so I need a frame that is affordable and will allow me to put money into some parts to keep it relatively correct for its time frame. A longer chainstay (42-43cm c-c) design would be nice to have for touring purposes. Trying to stay under $500 total for frame and parts. Thanks!
(04-27-2023, 03:36 AM)Sybian Wrote:  Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am looking at finding an early bike for a project and that bike is too cool. I applaud the effort to conserve a 50 year old bike in its original state. I know it could have been improved regarding performance with some newer parts, but it makes a great day touring bike as is.

@Jesper , I am looking for a nicely lugged bike from the 60s or 70s that can be restored without breaking the bank. Any suggestions, or do you have something you might be willing to part with? I do not have much in the way of early parts (mostly 80s stuff), or money!, so I need a frame that is affordable and will allow me to put money into some parts to keep it relatively correct for its time frame. A longer chainstay (42-43cm c-c) design would be nice to have for touring purposes. Trying to stay under $500 total for frame and parts. Thanks!

Sybian, there are many frames similar to the Crescent Pepita style. Most are actually of better build quality and workmanship than Crescent. Common, but more expensive are Schwinn Paramounts which had Nervex, and Nervex/Prugnat lugs, a little bit less expensive Swiss made Tigra frames had full Nervex Pro lug set (I have one circa early 60s, but not for sale); more common Peugeot PX-10, and Motobecane (Grand Record?). Most Nervex frames are 70s and earlier. Prugnat lugs are nice and can be found on many 70s bikes (Colnago for one). Early 70s and prior are many bikes with Agrati lugs. There are still a lot of nice frames from the 50s and 60s that are not extremely expensive ($200 and up), but then you will be spending quite a bit more for period parts so it becomes a toss up on where you want to spend your money. Shop around (classic bike forum marketplaces are a good source; beware ebay due to higher pricing and at times exorbitant shipping costs). You are looking at $150 on up for better quality frames using the aforementioned lugs, and in general they were being used on the mid level to top level frames all being handmade.
Take care,
Jesper

@Sybian here is a link to some frames with Agrati lugs: https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-7771.html?highlight=Atala

Also, some a bit more common (and less expensive?) are Raleigh Nervex lugged frames. I think the International and a couple other models featured Nervex lugs in the 70s.
Take care,
Jesper