Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take part in the February Giveaway for a Reflective Backpack & Spine Protector from RiderBag

Can I adjust my rear derailleur upside down?
I have a question. I don't have a bike stand and I really need to adjust my rear derailleur. Is it possible to "just" flip it over? I don't have any lights permanently mounted on it because people steal the strangest things around here so there's no worry of anything being damaged.

Hi Erich,

You can't really adjust the rear derailleur when the bike is upside down because the chain won't pass through your drivetrain properly. I'd recommend <a href="http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-590.html">hanging your bike from the ceiling with some rope</a>, getting a friend to hold it up for you, or you can build your own repair stand.

A really inexpensive solution for minor adjustments might also be a bicycle display stand. They're meant to hold bikes up in a display room but they'll work great for what you need. See if your local shop has any spare or you can order this Minoura Bike Stand.
Thanks for your prompt reply and the links. I may just get that Minourads stand, as it would be more affordable than trying to build my own. Once again, thank you very much.

Possibly Related Threads...