Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rear derailleur replacement for Shimano TX55
Broke Shimano TX55 rear derailleur on my low-budget commuter mountain bike/hybrid. Can anyone advice an alternative that is compatible? Something from the lower end regarding the price and preferably unused of course. My bicycle has 3x8 drivetrain with Shimano ST-EF 8speed shifters and v-brakes.
If your bicycle has an actual derailluer hanger, I would recommend an Altus or even better the Alivio. Either one one would be an upgrade. Just make sure it has the capacity for your rear cluster.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(08-25-2019, 07:38 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  If your bicycle has an actual derailluer hanger, I would recommend an Altus or even better the Alivio. Either one one would be an upgrade. Just make sure it has the capacity for your rear cluster.

That's the problem, that silver hanger piece broke in half ... somewhat don't want to go with the same derailleur after this. Now i'm not sure if I can go with whatever hanger or I must find exactly the same?

I was told about Acera and Altus ... is there any real difference between those except for the price? Asking for a casual biker like me.
if set up properly you may not notice much difference between the two. you must purchase the hanger designed for your frame and have the alignment checked and adjusted before installing the new derailluer. This takes special tools not to mention the wheel may need trued also before performing the hanger alignment. To do it correctly. If it were my bike I would not go less than Alivio in the drivetrain line up. But with budget woes I understand, still better than what you had. It is rather common for these low end derailluers to wrap around the axle and snap off the hangers with just a little jumping or hitting potholes etc..
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(08-26-2019, 07:37 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  if set up properly you may not notice much difference between the two. you must purchase the hanger designed for your frame and have the alignment checked and adjusted before installing the new derailluer. This takes special tools not to mention the wheel may need trued also before performing the hanger alignment. To do it correctly. If it were my bike I would not go less than Alivio in the drivetrain line up. But with budget woes I understand, still better than what you had. It is rather common for these low end derailluers to wrap around the axle and snap off the hangers with just a little jumping or hitting potholes etc..

I appreciate you sharing an honest opinion, thank you. TX55 is prettty much the Shimano's most entry level derailleur out the in the market as I understand. I'm up for spending few extra bucks to upgrade, rest of the bike is running smooth & reliable. Here is how the hanger currently looks.

go here, try to find the hanger you need. If you do not like the price, go to ebay and search your hanger number and try to find one a tad cheaper. search by brand, model and year. if not able to search by combing thru pictures til you find a match.
https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hangers/all-derailleur-hangers.html
(08-28-2019, 07:56 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  go here, try to find the hanger you need. If you do not like the price, go to ebay and search your hanger number and try to find one a tad cheaper. search by brand, model and year. if not able to search by combing thru pictures til you find a match.
https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hangers/all-derailleur-hangers.html

Thank you, will do!
Please post your results, very common problem and question

Possibly Related Threads...