Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Properly Identify Stem Size
I want to change my stem on a 2000 Dahon Folding bike that has 26 inch (559) rims, it is their Mariner 26 model.

So how should I go about measuring it to determine what size headset it has. Never having removed the stem I am sure it is either wedge or expander, most likely wedge. When I pull the stem out should the body of it say measure 25.4 or one inch indicating a 1 inch headset or what should I expect to measure?

It has a folding stem which I feel is weak and probably I would be better off replacing it. I actually rather like this bike and have already replaced the wheels and when I did I had to get an adapter shim so I could use the seven speed Shimano cassette with these wheels.

So back to the rest of what I am doing, I want to try and get an adapter stem that allows me to use one of the threadless stems which could be removable with an allen key but not a folding type. I see that Dahon has gone this route with their newer bike. Probably did that to eliminate the weak folding stem/bar mount...

Ultimately I want alter this bike to be a Cyclocross style with drop bars and bar end shifters. I could always get a new bike but I like the frame and it's geometry so I see no reason to get a new one.
I looked at a few pictures of that model and it looks like a standard 1" stem. To be sure, measure the width of the shaft. "One inch" stems actually measure about 22.2mm

Sheldon has an overview of quill stems here:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/stems/1-inch-quill.html
Yeah by eye without an actual measurement that would seem to be about right. But sorting through the available parts, online really made me feel insecure about getting the right parts. So many parts, so many measurements, so easy to go wrong :lol:

This is an old thread but I figure I would provide an update that helped me.
I did find an adapter for the this bike a Dimension Quill Stem adapter 22.2mm (1" Fork) - 28.6mm (11/8" Threadless) and added an Easton ea30 to support the bars.
Now I am going to do the rest of the updates as part of group I am going to run at work.
I always have someone asking me to work on their bikes at work and while I am not a pro I am not that bad at things mechanical in nature.
This site is really awesome and I will likely point it out to participants in my group and use it as as a resource for the group.
Cool glad you updated. Good luck with the group at work.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Yes thanks, will try to, at the least, do some photos of the work in progress. Hopefully, it might help some others considering similar work on their bicycles.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-06-2016, 05:13 AM
Last Post: michaelcogburn.c

03-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Last Post: viet_Cong