Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Replacing parts
Something got caught in my chain, I think near the rear derailleur. Anyways, the rear derailleur is broken and I need to replace it, the chain too. Its a Walmart bike so i'm not sure what I should do for finding the measurements, but I do know its this. Its generally a really cheap bike so I want to find some new parts, or part specifications that are compatible. I thinks the gears are a 9x3 with twist shifts. If there's anything that could help performance like changing the cassette or chain rings, that would be helpful, but for now I need help finding a rear and most likely a front derailleur that is compatible. I know that bike chains and cassettes can have different spacing, and derailleurs can have different pull ratios, but I don't trust myself with this. Any help would be appreciated!

I'm also looking for a rear shock and a fork, I need to go with an air shock so I can adjust it, i'm too light for my shocks to take effect right now
(03-11-2017, 04:00 PM)Kangs Wrote:  Something got caught in my chain, I think near the rear derailleur. Anyways, the rear derailleur is broken and I need to replace it, the chain too. Its a Walmart bike so i'm not sure what I should do for finding the measurements, but I do know its this. Its generally a really cheap bike so I want to find some new parts, or part specifications that are compatible. I thinks the gears are a 9x3 with twist shifts. If there's anything that could help performance like changing the cassette or chain rings, that would be helpful, but for now I need help finding a rear and most likely a front derailleur that is compatible. I know that bike chains and cassettes can have different spacing, and derailleurs can have different pull ratios, but I don't trust myself with this. Any help would be appreciated!

I'm also looking for a rear shock and a fork, I need to go with an air shock so I can adjust it, i'm too light for my shocks to take effect right now

Update: One of the twist shifts kinda popped out, and I definitely need a front derailleur.
Suggest browsing through Walmart parts and find replacements like yours.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=rear%20derailleur&typeahead=rear%20derailleur
Never Give Up!!!
It is starting to sound like you need more bike than this base model can offer you. These are not meant to be repaired beyond normal wear things like cables/housing and brake pads, grips. Anything beyond that is good money after bad so to speak. I recommend saving as much as you can to afford a bike more suited out of the box. Then sell yours as is needing repair. In the long run upgrades will be easier and you will be happier.
To answer your question though, if you could even find a rear shock to fit the mounts it would be to expensive and or cheap with no better results. replacing the rear/front derailleur/chain would run in around $60. You should replace the inner cables at least at this time too. I have not seen a 9speed rear cluster on a bike this. count the cogs in back again to make sure. Most derailleurs do have model numbers stamped on them. but any shimano indexed derailleur will work. I would think you need a 7speed mech.
double check and let me know. pics of what you have going on help us help you also
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
10-4 to that PK repair parts and suspension changes will cost more than getting a more suitable bike.

It amazes me that these bikes can be shipped from China and sold for under $100 and still a profit is made. The good is that many people can afford bicycles and get into the sport eventually upgrading.

IMO fix whats broken and enjoy , or start thinking about the next bike. Do the math.
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Bill

04-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET