Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Advice on Clicking Noise
Hi all,
I have a trek 1500 road bike, recently it has started to make a clicking noise - it only happens when I am on and when I pedal - not when I free wheel. It is always the same type of noise but doesn't happen constantly - normally starts/stops when something changes eg road surface, gear, riding position etc but not always. It is loud enough to hear when I'm amongst traffic and I think it is related to pedal speed (cadence?)
I have greased and tightened bolts and posts, I cant figure out what it is - any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks<br />
Laurence

Are you sure it's not a <a HREF="http://bikeride.com/stiff-chain-link/">stiff chain link</a>?

Why is it that they make adult bikes that'll generally work for 5'9" or above, yet when you pedal these same bikes they only work for someone who is 5'4" or so?
Hi,
No I don't think its the chain, it's well oiled and runs smoothly around the sprockets - it doesn't skip or anything.
Any other ideas?
thanks

If you are off the bike and spin the pedals backwards can you still notice the click?

Hi alex,
Firstly, your website and videos are fantastic - so clear and really helpful so thank you.
Re this problem, no it doesn't still make a noise if I spin the pedals backwards, (it sounds a tiny bit rough but not at all related/the same sound as the click) it seems only to make a noise when I'm on it and pedaling forwards ie when I'm driving the wheels. It doesn't seem to happen when I am off the bike and just pick the back wheel off the ground or turn it upside down, or when I am on it and back pedal.
Thanks for your help

It could be dry pedal threads. Try <a href="http://bikeride.com/replace-pedals/">removing your pedals and greasing the threads</a>.

I just found this website and I love it. I'm 37 and really just got into mountain biking with the purchase of a Specialized Hardrock Sport this past spring, and am really looking into getting to know my bike better and doing my own work on it.
I just wanted to say that I was experiencing the same clicking sound. It seemed to get better if I rode the bike more often, but if I let it sit for a day or two without riding, it seemed to come back with a vengeance when I did get back on and ride.
Same symptoms...ie only when I'm pedaling, and not consistently all the time. The difference with mine is that, when it does occur, it seems to only occur on the downstroke of my left leg. Perhaps it's my left pedal then?
Ironbirdexplorer

I had a problem with the same sound and replaced the pedals. The noise is now gone.

Yeah, the more I think I about it, I'm going to try it, too.
Thanks,
Steve

Hi,<br />
Thanks for the help guys, I just took the bike out and the clicking had nearly stopped. It now occurs most when I'm standing on the pedals - sometimes in sounds like its coming from the back wheel, sometimes the pedal/crank area.
I recently replaced the pedals and did grease the threads when I put them on but will try it again. Do pedals have bearings? Can you do anything with them - how? Would this make sense if the bearings were dry?
Again, cheers<br />
Laurence

Make sure your crank arms are tightened down properly. This is a common source of creaks and clicks from that area and can cause a problem if ridden loose for an extended time. If they and the pedals are on tight, it may be the pedal body or bearings. Pedals do have bearings although they can be tough to do mainenance on. On cheaper pedals, people tend to just replace.

I had the same clicking issue as well. I ended up taking my pedals apart and regreased the bearings as a last ditch effort before buying new pedals. It worked like a charm. But this would only work if you don't have sealed pedals.

I had a click I couldn't find. This may not be the case for you but I finally took out my seat post and re-greased it. That was it. The click was resounding through the frame and was nearly impossibly to locate as a result. If nothing else works, give it a shot

(09-05-2008, 09:38 AM)Alex Ramon Wrote:  If you are off the bike and spin the pedals backwards can you still notice the click?

Hi, I am have been Googling for answers but can't really understand anything.

Basically when I am going forward on my bike (not pedaling), there are clicking noises. But when I pedal there is no noise.

Also when I spin the pedals backwards there is clicking.

Any advice?

Thanks!
(01-07-2010, 03:09 AM)keweli Wrote:  
(09-05-2008, 09:38 AM)Alex Ramon Wrote:  If you are off the bike and spin the pedals backwards can you still notice the click?

Hi, I am have been Googling for answers but can't really understand anything.

Basically when I am going forward on my bike (not pedaling), there are clicking noises. But when I pedal there is no noise.

Also when I spin the pedals backwards there is clicking.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Are you sure it's not just the freewheel ratchet?
With the bike stationary and you turn the pedals backwards and it still clicks then it's the freewheel / freehub ratchet.
You say it's there when not pedaling but going forward, then that rules out the derailleur (if you have one) and chain.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
If the freewheel hatchet are the cogs/gears on the back wheel of my bike, then yes the clicking noises are coming from that.

Is that normal? Someone told me a bike shouldn't have those sounds.
Yes, this is normal. If you had no freewheel ratchet mechanism, you would not be able to coast, the pedals would move whenever the bike moves. There are freewheels / freehubs that are louder than others, though, especially the older Campagnolo ones.
Some freehubs don't make any noise at all.
I have a Shimano LX freehub on my mountain bike and that doesn't make any noise at all.
On the other hand my latest Shimano Tiagra hubs click, but not loud.
I also have a Mavic Kysrium wheel and that really is annoyingly noisy.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
Thanks guys! The info was really helpful.
I think that must be the problem with me. Maybe my pedals need replacing or something. Cheers for the advice guys.

Possibly Related Threads...