Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Can't adjust angle on adjustable quill stem
I have what I take to be an adjustable quill stem, after some research. I had a bit of an incident in which a wheel temporarily became slightly loose, and I think the angle of the stem somehow moved closer to 180. The handlebars aren't at the right angle. Anyway, I've unscrewed the angle adjusting bolt, but I can't get this thing to budge. What do I do?
pics may help, it sounds like you are trying to loosen the binding bolt thru the side of the pivot. (big no no). you want the bolt in front underneath (On most stems). pics would help.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(07-15-2015, 09:12 PM)painkiller Wrote:  pics may help, it sounds like you are trying to loosen the binding bolt thru the side of the pivot. (big no no). you want the bolt in front underneath (On most stems). pics would help.

I removed the side binding bolt at first, but have since replaced it since reading similar advice. Why is it a big no-no?
Here are some pics.
[Image: hdXvKe4.jpg]

[Image: K9C9ENE.jpg]

And, to be clear, contrary to what the image suggests, the side bolt is in.
do you have a shot from the top?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(07-15-2015, 10:54 PM)painkiller Wrote:  do you have a shot from the top?

[Image: 3ELbvsm.jpg]

[Image: 5W9OZBz.jpg]
Not looking familiar, what is this off of and are there any brand markings/

I believe it is a promax stem

it looks like you loosen the right side allen and a toothed washer should release and then move the stem angle and tighten the toothed washer back in
(07-15-2015, 11:18 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Not looking familiar, what is this off of and are there any brand markings/

I believe it is a promax stem

it looks like you loosen the right side allen and a toothed washer should release and then move the stem angle and tighten the toothed washer back in

The teeth are a part of the stem. When the bolt is released, none of the parts of the pivot loosen or come out.
I had read somewhere about a hidden 6mm bolt inside the right or left side that needs to be loosened also. take a closer look, shine a light in the sides

I am thinking take out the right side bolt and inside is a 6mm to loosen?
(07-15-2015, 11:56 PM)painkiller Wrote:  I had read somewhere about a hidden 6mm bolt inside the right or left side that needs to be loosened also. take a closer look, shine a light in the sides

I am thinking take out the right side bolt and inside is a 6mm to loosen?

There's definitely a nut (?) thru which the bolt I insert fits thru. How do I remove it?

[Image: BUcRozW.jpg]
congratulation's , You are the first person I cannot help! ha. Without seeing it in person and never have used this stem. I am at a bit of a loss. Maybe take it to the local bike shop for the answer. When you find out, post back with the results.
"There's definitely a nut (?) thru which the bolt I insert fits thru. How do I remove it?"

Thread the bolt part way in - leave at least 3mm (1/8  in) clearance, then tap the bolt head with a rubber mallet or hammer with a block of wood to protect the bolt head.  I am guessing that the nut will pop out, and you'll be able to move the stem.
Nigel
(07-16-2015, 01:20 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  "There's definitely a nut (?) thru which the bolt I insert fits thru. How do I remove it?"

Thread the bolt part way in - leave at least 3mm (1/8  in) clearance, then tap the bolt head with a rubber mallet or hammer with a block of wood to protect the bolt head.  I am guessing that the nut will pop out, and you'll be able to move the stem.

edit: nvm, got this to work, and got parts on left side to come out, but I still can't adjust the angle.
(07-16-2015, 04:51 PM)knl Wrote:  
(07-16-2015, 01:20 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  "There's definitely a nut (?) thru which the bolt I insert fits thru. How do I remove it?"

edit: nvm, got this to work, and got parts on left side to come out, but I still can't adjust the angle.

[Image: A2KTd7z.jpg]
I have never been much of a fan of the adjustable stems. (To heavy). most set them and never adjust them again. I would replace it with one of proper rise and extension to suit you. Still would like to know the trick to the one you have though.
(07-15-2015, 09:12 PM)painkiller Wrote:  pics may help, it sounds like you are trying to loosen the binding bolt thru the side of the pivot. (big no no). you want the bolt in front underneath (On most stems). pics would help.

I know this thread is two years old, but it's where I ended up trying to adjust my own stem.

Like the OP I was trying to undo the side bolt, and couldn't for the life of me work out why I still couldn't adjust the stem.

painkiller's post showed me the way - thank you! - and I was able to hunt for more info using "adjustable quill stem" (I didn't even know that was what I had).

For anyone else who ends up here, I found the below which illustrates (I don't have a northrock but whatever mine is it looks and works the same):

http://www.northrockbikes.com/_assets/docs/Northrock-AdjustStem.pdf

[Image: Northrock-AdjustStem.pdf]

Possibly Related Threads...