Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

40 hole hub into a 36 hole rim?
G'day all,
Probably a dumb question but here goes anyway
I have a rear wheel from a 1940's bike I'm rebuilding that has a 40 hole coaster brake hub, but the rim is rusted out. I want to know if it is possible to re-fit this hub into a 36 hole rim (I guess leaving 2 holes empty on each side). I would like to re-use this hub if possible but have no 40 hole rims. Any advice/opinions would be great! (I'll probably try it anyway just to see what happens...!!)

Cheers!
(04-14-2015, 04:57 AM)mitch Wrote:  G'day all,
Probably a dumb question but here goes anyway
I have a rear wheel from a 1940's bike I'm rebuilding that has a 40 hole coaster brake hub, but the rim is rusted out. I want to know if it is possible to re-fit this hub into a 36 hole rim (I guess leaving 2 holes empty on each side). I would like to re-use this hub if possible but have no 40 hole rims. Any advice/opinions would be great! (I'll probably try it anyway just to see what happens...!!)

Cheers!

Maybe drill 4 more holes in the rim on opposite sides??????????????????????????????????????????????????
"Where ever we go, there we are"
will not work.

There are plenty of 40H rims around, what BSD are you looking for?

Velocity offers following 40H rims: the Aeroheat and Cliffhanger in 559mm BSD, Cliffhanger in 584mm, Atlas, Cliffhanger and Dyad in 622mm and Synergy in 630mm.

Sun offers the CR-18 in 32H, 36H and 40H with 590mm BSD.

If not a 40H rim, your other choice is a 20H rim - not recommended for a rear wheel, unless the rider is really light.
Nigel
Thanks for the replies guys!

Ha Ha - Um...not sure about drilling more holes....but I'll keep it in mind...!! Thanks anyway mate!

I did think about maybe buying another rim but I kinda like the idea of re-using stuff if I can. I'm sure if I keep my eyes open, I'll find an old rim or another hub that will do the job.

I see I can get a new 36 hole hub delivered for $20 from e-bay (cheapy from Hong Kong) so I suppose thats another option. I havent looked to see what a new rim would cost yet-thats my next job!

Thanks again!

(p.s. -whats BSD? Probably obvious once you tell me!)
BSD see: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html  for a thorough explanation.

If you are going to purchase a new hub, you also need to know about O.L.D. - strongly suggest that you read Sheldon's glossary: http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary.html
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...