Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

What adapter will i need?
so I ordered a set of m615 brakes, I think, and i'm gonna go 180m on the front. I think I need an adapter but don't know which. anybody help out there? pictures are nice. thanks.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.
what are m615 brakes?

what is 180m?

You have not provided any information, so no answer is possible.  
Nigel
(03-23-2015, 07:03 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  what are m615 brakes?

what is 180m?

You have not provided any information, so no answer is possible.  

Nigel, you need to expand your horizons a touch on the newer stuff. I know you like to read, Ha.
They are Shimano Deore Disc brakes, 180mm is his choice of rotor/disc.
He did say pics would be nice. My thought was, yes they would! To the OP: please post pics of your fork where they bolt up, and a pic of any brackets you have and of the caliper its self, mounting holes.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
thanks painkiller, being new to disc brakes I don't really have all the details down yet. hey nfmisso, this is my second post asking my second question and would you believe, the second time you've been a jerk to me. so why don't we do this..... even if it means I don't get any replies.... why don't you just keep walking when you see me here. how does that sound? good? good.
i'm kind of tech challenged so I haven't figured how to post pictures yet but they brakes are going on a regular steel rigid fork. I actually don't have the brakes yet so posting a photo of the caliper is a no go. I was hoping to order up the part so it would arrive around the time the brakes are scheduled to show up.
Ok Charlie, Is your steel fork built for a disc brake. probably would be good to figure out how to post pics or give me a link to the fork that you are going to use. Is there any particular reason you want to use the 180mm rotor? The 160ish rotor will have good stopping power. From a personal opinion standpoint, for the average user, disc brakes are not user friendly for non mechanic cyclists when problems or general maintenance is needed. Good v-brakes have good stopping power too. lets see some pics or links. You have to use a picture hosting site and link from there to here. What is your front wheel, is the hub a disk hub? Overall information about the bike as a whole might help us guide you better for your mod. That is probably what Nigel was going for in his post. I am sure he meant no harm.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Agreed, the original post doesn't have enough information. I think he means he wants to put disc brakes on a fork not made for them. Thus the word adapter. If it was fitted to a disc ready fork, with a normal 6 bolt hub, the M615 caliper will work with up to 203mm rotors w/this I think.
somebody keeps changing and removing my posts. I don't know why. the fork has the basic stamped steel disc brake tab. I don't know a lot of the terminology as I've never had a bike with disc brakes before. it's a 2013 monocog. just basic functional stuff. an adapter bolts on to the tab and that holds the caliper. they come in different heights for different size rotors. 160mm, I believe is the standard. why do I want a bigger disc up front for more stopping power that i'll probably never need???? why the hell not.
(03-26-2015, 11:31 AM)charliethetuna Wrote:  somebody keeps changing and removing my posts. 

There are only two people (unless you gave someone your log in) that can change or remove your posts: you and the Moderator (Alex). Alex will only do something if you have not followed the forum's rules.
Nigel
If that is what you want is un balanced Front to rear braking with "Why the hell not" for the front, and you are using mechanical discs, plus have fork bosses for standard brakes, Then get a dual pull brake lever and run both styles. (assuming your rims have a braking surface) but again we are shy about telling you to supply proper info and pics @ the cost of being asses. This would be hypothetical. And that would far surpass the braking power of your 180mm rotor for the front.Plus be the ultimate in "Why the hell not". braking power. When you are done with your setup, I will gladly Challenge you to a stopping challenge, you name the price! Nigel can officiate! you can pay me, apologize to Nigel, and we can go have dinner or something, on me! Smile P.S. I will just be using canti's!
the bike doesnt have cantilever bosses. only disc tabs, and the brakes i'll be installing are hydraulics. there are a few bike builders I've seen that use 160/180 combo, most notably kona. as for posting pictures....... i'm gonna have to figure that out first. as mentioned before i'm a bit of a tech moron. now, a stopping challenge..... what exactly does that entail?? i'm not familiar with that type of challenge. are you here on long island or will I have to board a plane to your location so we can stop simultaneously? and will I have to pay Nigel's airfare as well?? and where will you be taking me for dinner??
Now we are getting some info Charlie. a couple of the pics i googled showed a single speed rigid fork with brake bosses. I knew you were going hydraulic but wanted a confirmation. That would rule out the dual pull lever to do both types. Pretty cool and tune-able setup actually. I do consider it a Painkiller original however. SO you heard it here first. yes people do utilize the two different size rotors all the time, no big deal there. What is unclear is what do you have right now? Mechanical Discs ? tell us your setup as is right now. What help do you need to post pictures? If i can do it(and I needed help too) anybody can. As for the Brake challenge, simply that who can stop in the shortest distance (and still be on the bike of course). We can take that up when we plan a bicycle tutor reunion! ha. I am just saying if you are replacing a bunch of stuff and adding hydra brakes, do not do this with the hopes of leaps and bounds of performance gains. Again a lot depends on the type of riding you do. You are running single speed right? work out the picture issue. As far as food, anything goes Smile
How about Las Vegas in September?  I'll be there the 2nd weekend for my wife's author conference.
Nigel
(03-27-2015, 12:54 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  How about Las Vegas in September?  I'll be there the 2nd weekend for my wife's author conference.
That sounds fun Nigel, I will check my schedule then my bank account and see what happens. One of these days we WILL hook up for fun!
so my brake kit just arrived and it looks like I may be in trouble. the ad said 'pre-bled' so I assumed everything would be assembled and ready to bolt right on. nope. i'm looking at youtube videos and it looks like every hydraulic brake installation uses "olives" on the end of the cable. this kit didn't come with olives. does this mean that I don't need olives or just that I need to buy them separately? do all hydraulic brakes use olives on the hose ends? man, I may be in over my head on this one.
Yes the line has to have a way to lock the line to the lever and the caliper, Compression type of connection. Do not know what pre-bled is as what type and brand fluid did they use? right? It is not recommended to mix fluids. I always flush and bleed them from the start. Not all oil is the same from brand to brand. Not to worry because as a owner/user of this type system you need to learn and buy equipment to be able to bleed them when needed. plus other things like pad replacement, disc tuning/balancing, proper cleaning. etc.. Why the hell not, right? That will help keep you out of the LBS and keep money in your pocket. Pics would still be nice. Once you get the bugs worked out you will feel better about the experience. Did you go with the 180mm up front?
not gonna go with the 180 up front as the brakes I ordered came with the wrong type of rotor. I think these are called lock on. they don't bolt on but fit on a splined shaft, so i'm gonna have to use the ones that came on the bike. I also don't know what 'pre bled' means. I know it doesn't mean what I thought it did. so now i'm gonna have to go and get a pair of 'olives'. I hate to put any money in the pocket of my LBS but how bad can he bang me on a pair of tiny compression fittings??? still trying to work on the picture thing. i'll get it one day, I guess.

and I believe they use mineral oil so i'll grab a tube of that as well. man, there's more to this brake swap sh!t than I thought there would be.

oh, and are all the hoses the same size??
The term would be dubbed "Center lock" disc hub. they do make an adapter for bolt on rotors.
http://problemsolversbike.com/products/center_lock_rotor_adapters/
your dreams can still come true! All it takes is money! Smile

(03-28-2015, 06:06 PM)painkiller Wrote:  The term would be dubbed "Center lock" disc hub. they do make an adapter for bolt on rotors.
http://problemsolversbike.com/products/center_lock_rotor_adapters/
your dreams can still come true! All it takes is money! Smile

Make sure to get enough, you will burn some when bleeding the brakes. make sure the mineral oil is intended for brakes, not from the pharmacy , ok. remember what you buy so if you have to add in the future, you do not have to flush the whole system out and start from scratch.

I tried to tell you it might be a hassle, pricey, but doable. thats why we really wanted pictures of everything you had to start with. It may be time to let the shop get it up and going for you and then you can take it from there.

This may help
http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/workshop-how-to-change-a-hydraulic-disc-brake-hose-27758/
nah, i'll get it done. may try to drill out rivets and use as regular bolt on discs. I told my 16 year old I would put my old/new mechanical discs on his bike so if I can drill them out i'll just buy him a new pair. run about 10 or 15 bucks.
hey painkiller, did I see you say in another post that you shouldn't hang your bike from hooks?? why?? this is the method I plan to use to store my bike in the garage.
(03-28-2015, 10:44 PM)charliethetuna Wrote:  hey painkiller, did I see you say in another post that you shouldn't hang your bike from hooks?? why?? this is the method I plan to use to store my bike in the garage.
you can use hoist type hook hanging systems for bikes with hydraulic brakes. The key is keeping the bike upright when not in use. Hanging from one or two wheels is not recommended for bikes equipped with hydraulic brakes, any other bike it would be fine. It increases the likely hood of air transfer to the lines.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-14-2016, 12:10 AM
Last Post: GeorgeET