Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Front Derailleur problem/whole shifting system
Sanwa Road Bike. 10 Speed. Had for about 10 years. I only have one speed 5th gear. I know videos all over. I watch them and just can't get this thing correct. Thought I'd head here for help and I have a new Schwinn coming. That's pretty inexpensive also. Looks like a nice web site also.

Problem: Start with something simple. Getting from 5th to 10th. When I push the Front Derailleur by hand it snaps back. I can pull the lever on top of bike down to shift to 10th and the lever snaps back. If I put the bike in 10th the derailleur snaps back toward the bike causing the chain to go to the lower cog (5th gear.) Shimano stuff.

What would you suggest. Again I have watched the videos of lower limit and upper limit screws and that doesn't seem to be significant enough. I have tightened the cable from the lever to the derailleur. I was even at one point able to use the screws so the derailleur wouldn't even move when pressed by hand???
Has nothing to do with limit screws, which only affect the derailleur staying in one place. The derailleur can't move inward unless the lever moves, so the lever is the problem. The center wingnut or bolt on the lever (pivot) has to be tightened. If you have tried that and the problem remains you need go provide pictures of the lever from the side or get in-person help, and possibly a new lever. A bike shop may be able to help at little or no charge to tighten the pivot, or try a bike co-op if available.
(09-07-2014, 09:47 AM)cny-man Wrote:  Has nothing to do with limit screws, which only affect the derailleur staying in one place. The derailleur can't move inward unless the lever moves, so the lever is the problem. The center wingnut or bolt on the lever (pivot) has to be tightened. If you have tried that and the problem remains you need go provide pictures of the lever from the side or get in-person help, and possibly a new lever. A bike shop may be able to help at little or no charge to tighten the pivot, or try a bike co-op if available.

(09-07-2014, 10:18 AM)benonidoni1 Wrote:  
(09-07-2014, 09:47 AM)cny-man Wrote:  Has nothing to do with limit screws, which only affect the derailleur staying in one place. The derailleur can't move inward unless the lever moves, so the lever is the problem. The center wingnut or bolt on the lever (pivot) has to be tightened. If you have tried that and the problem remains you need go provide pictures of the lever from the side or get in-person help, and possibly a new lever. A bike shop may be able to help at little or no charge to tighten the pivot, or try a bike co-op if available.

lever stays in the down position only when I'm holding it. When I let go of the lever it snaps back upright and the chain slips to the lower cog. When I hold the lever down it goes to the larger cog. What would I need to do to just push the lever and have it stay in the down position without loosening so much as for the lever to just stay down as it is in the picture.
As I noted above, the center (pivot) bolt on the left lever needs to be tightened (circled in picture). It looks like it requires an allen wrench (six-sided).
Thanks that solved the lever problem. It now stays in place. Now when I shift. The derailler doesn't go far enough over to the large cog? With lever as shown in photo the bike stays in 5th gear. I have the cable pulled tight.
Well, you moved the limit screws, so that may be the problem, or it could be something else. Google "adjust front derailleur" and look at the results from sheldonbrown.com and parktool.com/blog first. Videos are not typically as clear or complete as written instructions.

Also, a word about gear selection. What you call "5th gear" (small-small) is a very poor combination to ride, and the last thing you should be doing is shifting from 5th to 10th, which is meant only for high speed (being there, not getting there) of 25-30mph. When you get to the 3rd or 4th cog on the rear and expect to be going faster you should be shifting to the large chainwheel (and then typically shifting the rear to one cog larger ("8th or 9th").
..CORRECTION to above: When you get to the 3rd or 4th cog on the rear with the small chainwheel in front and expect to be going faster, you should be shifting to the large chainwheel (and then typically shifting the rear to one cog larger ("7th or 8th").
Thanks, will check more videos specifically those you recommended. I'm not sure my problem with this. I usually enjoy Do It Yourself videos. I've almost gotten the road bike shifting memorized. The screws on each derailleur just don't seem to be making a difference if any. In fact I now have the bike in 10th gear unable to shift at all. I was able to put it in 10th by hand. Thanks to your photo it stays in that gear. (By the way I always mention 10th gear its becoming obvious I really don't have hills to deal with. Its pretty flat where I bike.) I'll look at the videos and get back.
Again, videos are not always thorough. Parktool.com and Sheldonbrown.com offer the most comprehensive procedures. Again also, 10th gear is not appropriate to ride unless you are already going VERY fast. It's hard on your body as well as the bike, especially the chain and the small cog, and 5th is not much better. See if you can get some in-person assistance. There's no pride in not getting help when the alternative is a bike that is not working right.
p.s. The saddle on your bike is shifted way too far forward, due to the saddle clamp being in front of the seat post instead of in back of it. That will tend to be very hard on your knees.

Possibly Related Threads...