Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

A rusty bike? serious repair
After a year of being outside doing nothing, I would love to use it again.

Its a Hawk Paradise, atleast thats what on the frame. When do you know when biting off more than you should? And hand the bike over to the rag & bone man. I'll be able to post photos tomorrow, when I get the weeds, grime off.

The chain will need to be changed, but how can you tell which to get on the gears, its got upto 3 on the left handle, and upto 6 on the right handle.

I have a basic knowledge of bike maintence thanks to my off-road bike loving ex.

Am I biting more than I can chew, or should I attempt it.
As stated here are photos of the areas of rust, which I'm concerned about. Any advice would be appreciated.

my apologises for the edge of my tablet cover, I didn't realise it was in the way, till I sat down to review the photos.
nothing a little lube and new cables and housing cannot take care of.
You just have to decide if you want to spend $50 to $100 on it or not. if the shock does not function as it should then forget it. Where exactly are you located, if in the US I may have parts you can have for free + shipping if you want
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I'm in the UK, so thank you for your kind offer, but the shipping would be too much.

The shocks seem to be fine. I just need to figure out what the parts are so I can get replacements. As well as which chain I need. The weather has been terrible, so haven't to work on figuring out. Theres not much work space in the garage.

Only had 20mins of dry weather to take photos and take a closer look, which has made me happier about restoring it. As its not as bad as I thought.

(07-13-2014, 10:43 AM)painkiller Wrote:  nothing a little lube and new cables and housing cannot take care of.
You just have to decide if you want to spend $50 to $100 on it or not. if the shock does not function as it should then forget it. Where exactly are you located, if in the US I may have parts you can have for free + shipping if you want
any chain for 6,7,8, speed will work. Sram or Kmc, with a powerlink to connect with. makes it easier to deal with and easier to clean
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KMC-X8-93-6-7-8-Speed-Bike-Chain-fits-Shimano-SRAM-Campagnolo-1-2-x3-32-116L-/221489601519?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3391cf1bef

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KMC-X8-93-6-7-8-Speed-Bike-Chain-fits-Shimano-SRAM-Campagnolo-1-2-x3-32-116L-/221489601519?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3391cf1bef

couple examples you should be able to find in the UK
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...