Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Replace rear rim/gear set
Newbie here, thanks in advance!

I have an older Mongoose mountain bike with a bent 26" rear rim. The question, what specifics do I need to pay attention to to make sure my replacement rim will work with my current axle/gear set? Are the axle housings standard? Are the bearings standard?

Anything else I should know is appreciated!
(06-03-2014, 11:03 PM)dkhack Wrote:  Newbie here, thanks in advance!

I have an older Mongoose mountain bike with a bent 26" rear rim. The question, what specifics do I need to pay attention to to make sure my replacement rim will work with my current axle/gear set? Are the axle housings standard? Are the bearings standard?

Anything else I should know is appreciated!

65 views and no response....I'm surprised.
Need to know your idea of old or the rear drop out width (O.L.D) in mm. You don't say how many rear cogs it has or if it has friction or indexed rear shifting.
If you need new rear gears & chain, now would be a good time to upgrade from a freewheel to 7 speed cassette for the rear gears. Are you over 200lbs like me?
Most inexpensive MTB rear wheels are in the common 135mm size. Last time I looked priced were $30-$60.
Answer the items in bold print please.
If you just replace the "rim" (the outer metal loop) you would need one made to take the same number of spokes and be pretty close on the shape/profile of the rim. You would have to re-lace the spokes to the new rim.

Usually makes more sense to to replace the whole "wheel" which would be be everything except the gear cluster and tube/tire. Axle and bearings would come with the wheel. For this the main thing to know is what kind of gears it has on it. Number of gears and if it's "freewheel" or "cassette" (http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html)
When you give such general information in your post, it is hard for anyone to offer very specific advice. Older Mongoose does not really give much to go on.

Be more specific and you will likely get responses.
(06-03-2014, 11:03 PM)dkhack Wrote:  what specifics do I need to pay attention to to make sure my replacement rim will work with my current axle/gear set?
To work with your current hub, the rim only has to match the number of spoke holes, assuming that you are purchasing new spokes also. Use something like spoccalc to determine the correct spoke length - you will need some measurements from the hub and rim.

Oh - and if you have a freewheel (likely) make sure to remove it BEFORE disassembling the old rear wheel.
(06-03-2014, 11:03 PM)dkhack Wrote:  Are the axle housings standard?
No.
(06-03-2014, 11:03 PM)dkhack Wrote:  Are the bearings standard?
Most rear hubs use ¼" balls; get the ones made of 52100, grade 25 or better (lower number is better).

If you want useful information, you'll need answer the other guys questions.
Nigel
Thanks guys...I got what I needed and learned somethings along the way!

Possibly Related Threads...