Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Jammed crank bolt
[attachment=5009]
[attachment=5010]
I need to service and or replace the Raceface ISIS drive bottom bracket on my bike.
I have the drive side crank removed, abd even have the drive side BB cup off...however I am unable to get the other (non drive side) crank arm off, the bracket bolt will not budge. And I can not get the drive out.... what do I do?
Soak it overnight with a good penetrating oil, give it a sharp tap once in a while. Try again make sure to use correct size allan wrench a longer ratchet wrench is better. Maybe using a 6 inch piece of conduit pipe over the allan wrench will give you a better hand hold, if you do not have a socket set and allan bits.

If you have a butane torch try heating the arm and shaft, that may help.

If all else fails you can drill it out using progressively larger drill bits and collapse it when just a thin shell remains.

Should not need to do that.
Never Give Up!!!
6" inch, try 6ft water or gas pipe and have someone hold the bike for you. its what I use on that and pedals, works every time. longer the better. stronger than conduit if is stuck that bad
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
PK you are a brute. With a 6 foot pipe you will turn that bike into a pretzel. :-) not to mention snap the bolt........
Never Give Up!!!
(04-17-2014, 02:22 AM)GeorgeET Wrote:  PK you are a brute. With a 6 foot pipe you will turn that bike into a pretzel. :-) not to mention snap the bolt........
Good one George! Lol. works great, it is a 2 person job though. been using the same pipe for years. my wife uses the pipe while I hold it and the bike in place. What you do not want to do is smack the allen wrench with a hammer. The long pipe gives tons of leverage, it bows a bit then "pop" it is loose. I do admit having a solid work stand does help
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Bob and George have provided great suggestions; BUT put the bearings and cup back in right side BEFORE you do anything else. IF you don't you will bend the BB shell and be replacing the frame as well as rebuilding the BB. The BB axle needs to be properly supported.

Also, if at all possible, remove the pedals before removing the crank arms.

If all else fails, use an angle grinder http://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-angle-grinder-69645.html to cut through the BB axle between the crank arm and the cup.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...