Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Recommended seat for hubby's hemorrhoids?
My hubby and I just upgraded our bikes from Roadmaster Fury's to Raleigh Venture 3.0's. He's having a problem though: the native seat on the Venture is irritating his hemorrhoids and we are wondering what sort of seat to replace it with?

Thanks,
Josephine
(11-09-2013, 10:50 AM)Josephine Wrote:  My hubby and I just upgraded our bikes from Roadmaster Fury's to Raleigh Venture 3.0's. He's having a problem though: the native seat on the Venture is irritating his hemorrhoids and we are wondering what sort of seat to replace it with?

Thanks,
Josephine
I would start buy posting some pics of what he has now and if possible, him on the bike in his riding position.I assume he is very upright which in his case is "the not so compfort comfort bike"
Check out the Hobson Easy Seat. It is a dual pad seat that can give relief to him and people whos tailbone is deformed inward or outward (A hooked coccyx) It would however be beneficial if you could try one out first at a bike shop to see if it helps or not before buying one. But they are not that expensive either as far as saddles go
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Hi Josephine;

Often, too soft or plush saddles cause pain because they exert a lot of pressure on areas that should not. I am 300+ lbs, and prefer rather narrow saddles, and find them more comfortable; because they align with my sit bones, and do not put pressure on my soft/sensitive parts.

Examples:
http://s211.photobucket.com/user/dianemisso/media/Red%20Bike%20110609/IMG_0689.jpg.html?sort=3&o=7
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-2920-page-2.html
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-3036-page-1.html
Nigel
Thanks for your responses so far. The hubby just now, after 3 days of not being on the bike, says that his bottom side is no longer sore. On the Roadmaster, he had the original seat replaced with a Schwinn no pressure seat like here: http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-No-Pressure-Bicycle-Seat/dp/B000DZGLVY. He swapped the Venture seat out for this one, but he was still hurting after a second day of riding. Not sure if he hurting was because of using the native seat on the Venture during day 1 or not. Nigel, thanks, but the first link is similar to the seat already present on the Venture and caused a lot of pain. He is considering looking more at the split seats suggested in the first post, but is trying to determine which of the Hobson seats might be best (1 or the newer version 2) or he saw some good reviews on a Spiderflex as well (although much more expensive) and isn't thrilled about having to spend more $ on this brand new bike.
http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-No-Pressure-Bicycle-Seat/dp/B000DZGLVY/

Looks painful to me - it will not allow proper leg extension, which will kill knees and result in nasty sores on the back sides of the legs.

Please note that everyone is different, and the best thing to do is get measured to determine where the sit bones are so that a saddle can be chosen to match each individual. Other people's recommendations (except an identical twin) are basically worthless.
Nigel
Measuring the sit bones can be done at home with some corrugated cardboard and a chair with no cushions. Place cardboard on chair, sit down only in underwear and even try to pull yourself towards the chair (grab under the seat with both hands and pull). Then, measure the indentations in the card board. Distance centre-centre is the sit bone distance. Depending on the style of riding you should get a saddle that is up to 2 (or three) cm wider. When riding in the very uncomfortable aero position on a time trial bike you just add maybe 0.5cm, on a road bike about 1cm, a touring bike maybe up to 2 cm and an upright Holland style one even a bit more (rough guideline). Many bike shops offer test saddles, Specialized dealers especially. A saddle has to fit!

I like the SQlab saddles, all models come in different widths (at least three sizes, if I recall correctly).
Joe - great information Smile
Nigel
I even bought the SQlab "original" measurement cardboard, it comes with a "manual" that lists roughly these numbers (alas, I don't have it any more, so I cannot check). Since it was... 25¢ you might just get one.

Of course they do this to push their own saddles to customers - but as mentioned, I own one and really like it. (on my road / tri bike I ride a Fizik Arione Triathlon, pretty narrow but comfy, as far as you can say that when sitting this far forward, to my rear end)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-12-2015, 09:15 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

02-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Last Post: barefooter