Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Wintertime attire for hubby?
My hubby has hip bursitis and he has been bicycle riding the last 3 years in warmer weather to keep his weight under control.  However, he has never been successful riding when the temps are less than 55 F.  I blame it on his attire as he wears cotton t-shirt, sometimes with a springtime jacket over it, and nylon shorts at 55 and above. 

However, this year he is concerned as he gained more weight than he wanted to over the winter and he wants to try riding now.  That is, if he can find the proper attire. 

Our winter temps have been ranging from 20- 40 F.  Whatever attire he would need would have to shield him in this range. 

So, I turn to this forum for suggestions.  We are on a limited budget, but what are some suggestions for the proper attire riding a hybrid bike on back country roads (~11-13 mph) for 1.5 hours with the aforementioned temps?  Links to clothing suggestions on Amazon and others would be greatly appreciated.  He normally wears an XL size t-shirt and shorts. 

Thanks very much,
Josephine
The classic high school PE winter out door attire works well; put sweat pant and sweat shirt over or under the existing preferred cycling clothes.  I would definitely keep the shorts he likes, but not sure if they would work better on the inside of the sweat pants or on the outside.

Definitely not jeans.  

I wear trousers (similar to Dockers but not) for commuting and to work in (desk job).  My morning commute, occasionally gets down to the high thirties.  I have a yellow jacket, and add a sweater underneath if it gets down to the low 30s.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post