Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

1979 Schwinn Super Le tour II
Got this in the other day for a tuneup and thought I would share some pics because it is in such nice shape I know some Schwinn lovers would enjoy the pics. The story behind the bike is that it was inherited 15 years after the death of the new owners Uncle. Whom had at some point in time removed the dropbars and road levers and put a black steel mtb riser bar and resin levers on. What a shame that was as who knows where they went. So I suggested some slightly higher rise Alloy bars and some nicer alloy levers, new cables and some lined housing to smooth things out and roll with it on the cheap. It turned out great and the ride is pretty smooth for the old slug. Nice chrome lugged fork crown.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Nice "fluff and buff".
(09-30-2013, 10:43 AM)RBurrelli Wrote:  Nice "fluff and buff".
Thanks RBurrelli, Though I consider myself a leading authority on the "Art of Fluff & Buff", Ha. That is not the case here, It was in this condition and all that was done was wiped of with a moist rag. It was the first thing I asked the guy if anyone had polished it. He said no, he just wiped it off. He thought the black bars and foam grips and resin levers were stock. I had told him though not a Schwinn expert, I know of no Super Letour's with riser bars and levers like that combined with a stem like that, plus in that era it probably would not have come with a black bar ta boot. He thought it was an 1981 or so. Again to my knowledge which not much, I believed that the numbers on the headbadge "1159" represented 115th day of the decade 79' or 89' depending on the equippment. with that said the badge says Chicago and with the style of the Altus road derailleur I say the decade is the 70's. If I am wrong please correct me. The strangest thing I noticed right off the bat was almost a half inch of thread showing on the bottom bracket cup beyond the lockring. The crankset was loose and told him i will have to get into it and see what the deal was, something is wrong.
I discovered both the right and left caged bearings were installed backwards which explained the unusual amount of threads showing after the cup tightened and the lockring on. The bike hardly used at all ever, the owner dead for 15 yrs so we will never know if it was done during assembly or someone fiddled with it. I know of no reason why it would have needed BB service at all with the amount of no wear and tear on the bike, I think it was done during assembly and slipped thru the cracks. Of course the spindle was of the offset type so to be sure of proper alignment I checked it both ways to be sure before locking it down. The bike looks like a true time capsule for sure. But on the cheap for the guy I said the black steel Mtb bars got to go and roll with the alloy with the 100mm rise and it will look better and be comfortable
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I would agree on the condition. It looks excellent. But I would like to see it with the original bars.
Great condition, an early city bike. :-)

Would not like this done with the Super Le Tour.

Listed in 77 and 79.

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1971_1980/1979_12.html

http://www.trfindley.com/pg_schwinn_cats.htm
Never Give Up!!!
(10-01-2013, 04:59 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Great condition, an early city bike. :-)

Would not like this done with the Super Le Tour.

Listed in 77 and 79.

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1971_1980/1979_12.html

http://www.trfindley.com/pg_schwinn_cats.htm
I totally agree, but like most he had not much cash and He is happy with the look and now has time to save some and it is still a head turner.
Yes finding comfy handlebars very different for different riders. The Schwinn MB bike I have has straight bars with add on horns and its not as comfy as my Fuji road bike with the drop bars mounted upside down and horns cut off. I got lucky on that conversion. I surprised me how well it worked out. YMMV.......
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-11-2022, 12:51 PM
Last Post: froze

05-03-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Jesper

07-23-2021, 10:36 PM