Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Looking for some good advice
I am deployed and have acquired a 2008 Norco Mountaineer. It's seen better days. The gearing is crazy low, I spin out almost everyday(depends on the winds). I am riding to and from work between 6-12 miles everyday. I hate being passed.
I have a friend back home that is sending me a rear cog, but I would like to change the front chain ring as well, what is compatible with my bike? My specs are below. Remember I'm deployed and the bike will not be coming home with me, it will be passed on to the next guy when it's time. I'm not looking for crazy top end stuff, just something that has more than 42 teeth up front.
Thanks in advance,
Todd
2008 Norco Afghanistan special
Front Derailleur Shimano FD-C050, 31.8mm clamp
Rear Derailleur Shimano Tourney TX-51
Crankset Suntour XCC-150, 24/34/42 teeth
Rear Cogs 7-speed, 14 - 28 teeth
Silly boy (or girl) just pedal faster! thats all you have to do. Cheaper than parts or tools or paying for service that will not add up to much !
Smile No but seriously I have a brand new pull fc-m311 crankset I will give to the cause, just private message me the shipping address and its yours, you may have to order a bottom bracket to match the crank.. If you have a cassette vs a freewheel you can change to a 11t or 12t small cogset and thats about it.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Should have said its a 28/38/48
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(07-09-2013, 05:25 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Silly boy (or girl) just pedal faster! thats all you have to do. Cheaper than parts or tools or paying for service that will not add up to much !
Smile No but seriously I have a brand new pull fc-m311 crankset I will give to the cause, just private message me the shipping address and its yours, you may have to order a bottom bracket to match the crank.. If you have a cassette vs a freewheel you can change to a 11t or 12t small cogset and thats about it.

Thanks, PM sent.
cool, I cannot remember the BB size that goes with it but will leave a note in the box when it ships. Good luck and thanks for your service and I wish I could do more!
That was an honorable thing to do.
10-4 to that. Thanks for your service and I hope it will be given to your Afghane replacement.
Never Give Up!!!
I will be shipping off his new crankset, he was able to borrow some tools from his buddies so wish him luck on the rest. I have always believed in the tenfold rule, so I try to give when I can. I swear the tenfold rule has happened already, I am driving down the road and lo and behold I spied a Vintage Miyata 110 mixte that looks like it was tossed in the garbage so I go back and investigate. Sure enough a free Miyata110. Looks like it had not been ridden much and hangin in the garage for 20 years. I will put the old Fluff and buff on this baby and maybe some ape hangers to funk it up abit and add some new skins. It is pretty much Exage equipped and in working order. I did a quick hand polish to a spot on the rear caliper and it came right back to a sweet shine. Finding a new home for this bike may be a challenge but got to tell ya the dry rot tires held air and it runs out very nice. the goal is just make it look and ride good and stay under $100
Looks like the Fluff and buff is out of the question, "Sold". Seems $50 just fell from heaven. thats what I am talking bout! Thanks Imratz
(07-14-2013, 03:25 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Looks like the Fluff and buff is out of the question, "Sold". Seems $50 just fell from heaven. thats what I am talking bout! Thanks Imratz

Thank you!
(07-14-2013, 03:25 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Looks like the Fluff and buff is out of the question, "Sold". Seems $50 just fell from heaven. thats what I am talking bout! Thanks Imratz

So I got the part and it's installed. Here is a picture, please note that the "extras" on the bike are a gift from my "friends". lol, at least no one will borrow it. Thanks again!!
[attachment=4336]
I got a great little gift from Imratz (aka Todd) in the mail today. I guess it is safe to say he is doing okay. He hooked me up with a flag that took a ride in a Tigershark UAV Mission. and even added some Provenance to it ! awesome and thanks Todd. I guess thats the UAV posing with the bicycle. Stay safe brother. I will display it proudly
Wow, way cool PK, Stay safe Todd. Its almost time to come home for everyone........
Never Give Up!!!
(09-12-2013, 11:25 PM)painkiller Wrote:  I got a great little gift from Imratz (aka Todd) in the mail today. I guess it is safe to say he is doing okay. He hooked me up with a flag that took a ride in a Tigershark UAV Mission. and even added some Provenance to it ! awesome and thanks Todd. I guess thats the UAV posing with the bicycle. Stay safe brother. I will display it proudly

Glad you like it! Thanks again.
Todd
(09-13-2013, 12:33 AM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Wow, way cool PK, Stay safe Todd. Its almost time to come home for everyone........
My 17 yr. old son said it was "Legit". I had to look it up Smile
legit
Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on more
2481 up, 1100 down
1. (adj.) A modern synonym for words such as "cool," "ill," "tight," or "dope." Used to describe a noun that is of a particularly excellent quality. The slang use of this term is slowly but steadily increasing in popularity
He wants to go in the service and fly UAV's. Being a great gamer I think he could do a great job and eat goldfish crackers at the same time.
My response was like yours George "way cool"
Todd when you get back to the states you look me up ( facebook or something) I could at least give you a free tune-up and a beer! But George says we have to wait till after the tune-up to drink it. You have to ask him why? I have not figured it out yet Sad
Yeh well, don't ask me how I figured out that beer and mechanical
things do not mix. :-)))
Never Give Up!!!
(09-13-2013, 01:44 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Yeh well, don't ask me how I figured out that beer and mechanical
things do not mix. :-)))
Got it bro, but I would love to hear it someday. Now I understand Smile
Just mess'in with you a bit. you know I love ya!
(09-13-2013, 08:52 AM)painkiller Wrote:  
(09-13-2013, 12:33 AM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Wow, way cool PK, Stay safe Todd. Its almost time to come home for everyone........
My 17 yr. old son said it was "Legit". I had to look it up Smile
legit
Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on more
2481 up, 1100 down
1. (adj.) A modern synonym for words such as "cool," "ill," "tight," or "dope." Used to describe a noun that is of a particularly excellent quality. The slang use of this term is slowly but steadily increasing in popularity
He wants to go in the service and fly UAV's. Being a great gamer I think he could do a great job and eat goldfish crackers at the same time.
My response was like yours George "way cool"
Todd when you get back to the states you look me up ( facebook or something) I could at least give you a free tune-up and a beer! But George says we have to wait till after the tune-up to drink it. You have to ask him why? I have not figured it out yet Sad

Beer sounds great, but when I am home, it's usually only for a short time and then right back over here, so I spend most of the time with the family. I appreciate the offer and when we make it up your way, I will look you up for that beer!
Roger That !

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post