Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Recumbant Exercise bike squeaking
I have a 1995 vintage Diamondback HRT1000 exercise bike recently purchased from a friend. I knew it squeaked when I bought it but what could be so hard about putting an end to that. So I bought some Teflon lubricant and lubricated the hell out of everthing that moves. The squeak that won't die can be heard (loudly) only when pedaling under pressure. i.e. with the tension set at where I like it near the highest level and it occurs with each turn of the pedals precisely when I apply forward pressure with my left foot. It appears to be coming from within the pedals crank shaft.

In the pictures I've included, I see that there is a ring on the left side with two eyelids. I don't know how to remove this but suspect if I could, I could get some lubricant inside the crank shaft. a) do you think that a worthwhile approach b) if so, hot to remove this ring and put back together without damaging it and c) might it be something else.

I've examined the belt and it appears to be in very good shape, it's age not withstanding. I'm about ready to put this thing in the basement and bring back up my old bike which is locked into one setting but which never squeaks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

PS For some reason I'm not able to attach pictures. Perhaps too large although I get no message to that or any effect. Hopefully someone can draw conclusions without.
two step process : choose file then on right add attachment button, then post reply below
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I did that several times. No go
(06-09-2013, 02:31 PM)mshields1162 Wrote:  I did that several times. No go
do you have photo-editing software? if so pull image up and size by pixels about 1000 wide and let the aspect ratio ride then save and keep around 800k. jpg format is good. do not worry what dpi it is. that only reflects the output print size
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Last Post: DaveM